Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL 6-max zoom: Hit low flush vs big shove river

Old
25NL 6-max zoom: Hit low flush vs big shove river - Sat Jun 01, 2013, 09:45 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
Hello

Don't remember the stats I had on the villians,

So with the flop bet i was just trying to get the pot right away since I thought there was a decent chance noone held an ace and if they did I could hit alot of outs and conceal my hand.

On the turn i hit my flush and was just trying to get value and protect my hand.

Then on the river with that shove I thought my hand was just too strong to lay down so I called.

This day has been horrible for me where i lost so many strong hands and maybe I was just titled here but its so hard for me too put him on a flush. Should i start making folds with what seems like great hands when facing these shoves? (Like trip Ts on a KQT board that i lost earlier).

Should I have made the fold here?. Was this a bad way of playing this hand?. Thx for helping me out .

Last edited by killcani; Sat Jun 01, 2013 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: fixed replay link

Old
Sun Jun 02, 2013, 02:00 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
The trick here is trying to think about your opponents range of hands. Your thought process as stated in your post is basically just you thinking about what you have. The problem with this is, unless you have the absolute nuts, your hand strength is not absolute. It is relative to your opponents hand strength.

This point is illustrated very well in this hand. You flush on the turn overall is a decent hand. The villain does likely have better flush draws in his range, but there are other hands he is calling your flop bet with. The thing is, on the river when you bet pot for the third time and he shoves over you, your low flush is no longer a strong hand. You have shown a lot of strength by potting every street while out of position. The villain is aware of this, yet he still shoves all in effectively saying, "Hey... I see your very strong and unlikely to fold, but that doesn't worry me one bit so I shove all-in."

While there is a small chance villain could be shoving with a worse hand like a set or straight, don't you think he would be worried about you having a flush? If he was worried about that, would he shove all-in rather than call? It seems very unlikely to me. Part of thinking about your opponents range of hands is putting yourself in their shoes. What is their perspective? How do they view the actions you have taken? If you can figure out what they are probably thinking, then you will be able to better to read them and put them on a range of hands.

Old
Sun Jun 02, 2013, 11:21 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2011
(Live Trainer)
Hey killcani,

Rockerguy already made a nice post about relative hand strength, couldn't agree more.

Betting flop and turn nice and big against what seems to be a loose/passive player limping the BU is great. I'd bet/fold the river big hoping to extract value from Sets, Straights, Aces up and Ax type hands and only expecting to get raised by flushes.

Since your flush is the lowest possible combo and you are playing out a limped pot to begin with the strength of your hand goes way down in relation to villain's strong riverline, stacksizes and boardtexture.

Live Trainer

Old
Sun Jun 02, 2013, 01:02 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2013
Thx for your replies rocker and xlixx .

I was playing 4 table zoom when this hand happend and I found it really hard to not only to judge my own hand strenght but my opponents aswell so I quess I should stay at 2-3 tables atm.

I agree that bet/folding the river would've made alot more sense and I quess if he had a hand like two pair or trips he wouldn't have slow played it with so many clubs showing up or atleast it would've been more unlikely?.

Last edited by killcani; Sun Jun 02, 2013 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: dasd

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com