Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

HU play at final table

Old
HU play at final table - Mon Jun 03, 2013, 05:03 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Hey guys, just wanted to pick ya brains about 'heads up' final table play.

Yesterday I made 2 FT's, won the $4.50 180man SnG and came 2nd in the regional final of the 'Marbella freeroll' (only first gets paid a $110 ticket)

Anyway, of course looking at the above things don't look to bad but in reality I got lucky on the 180man and messed up the Freeroll.

The hand that basically won me the 180man was - I shoved K-10o and hit my 10 on the turn and put the guy all but out, when he was holding A-Ks. I felt quite bad to be honest and afterwards was looking at my play and can't figure out whether I was right or wrong to shove?

My reasons for shoving - He kept 3betting me when I open raised, probs a good 50% of the time. If I called the 3bet he would put a large flop bet in and I would fold, so I thought he was just taking advantage. I had tried the shove earlier, whilst holding A-Qs and he folded, so was expecting the same result.

Anyway, I'm going to look for some vids, articles etc but if people could help me out on a couple of things in the meantime, I would be grateful... (I know some or all may be opponent dependent but if you could generalise, that would be cool)

1 - Is it standard play to 3bet a high % in HU, FT play?
2 - What sort of range should I be shoving for value?
3 - What sort of range is good to shove as a semi bluff?
4 - Is it standard to regularly float flops/turns with overcards?
5 - Is it standard to call down with mid pr?

I really don't have too much final table experience but if there is a downfall in my play when I get there - it is HU, so would really appreciate any suggestions, thanks.

Oh - didn't mention my freeroll mess up as it is too painful, but in basic terms I had, about, a 3-1 stack size advantage and spewed it in my excitement...

Last edited by riveredme1; Mon Jun 03, 2013 at 05:07 AM..

Old
Mon Jun 03, 2013, 11:10 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hey riveredme1!

I try to follow Andre's system. Since I've switched to it, it's done wonders for my HU game. I'm playing about 80% IN position (always raising 3X) and 20% out of position.

On the flop, I want to be in position, unless I have a premium hand, and if so and the opp checks the flop, then the overwhelming majority of the time, I'm betting 1/2 pot.

Always 3X pre, always 1/2 pot post-flop. Standard bets make it so the opp has no clue whether you've got the nuts or it's a simple c-bet that missed.

Here is a link to a video you need to watch. The video was for HU SNG's, but absolutely 100% applies to HU in MTT's too.

It worked good enough that I've won 4 of my last 5 HU situations at the end of large mtt's online (one vs a pro and I got them in way, way ahead in the loss) and won my last live HU situation, which is getting me into the WSOP bounty game in 3 weeks.

John (JWK24)

P.S. If you use Andre's system, you'll end up value-owning the players that want to be shove monkeys, which is the majority of mtt players in the endgame, as they have no clue how to adjust their game to a HU situation.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jun 03, 2013, 12:52 PM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2012
That's exactly the sort of advice I was after JWK, thanks, it will be a massive help I'm sure...

Got a feeling that, at this time, I am one of them shove monkeys you're talking about in HU I really am clueless when it comes to playing HU...

Old
Mon Jun 03, 2013, 04:19 PM
(#4)
Since: May 2013
I too suffer from shakey heads up play! Will definitely be checking out Andre's system, cheers JWK24

Old
Mon Jun 03, 2013, 07:24 PM
(#5)
Since: Apr 2011
Hey!
All your questions are very much stack size as well as opponent dependent, so hard to generalise I'm afraid.
**deleted link that is against the TOS JWK24**
Am sure that andre vid will be great help and give anyone an edge versus random MTT villain who doesnt give HU the thought it deserves.

Other thoughts... I and majority will open button for minraise, so at least consider it versus 3x.
If we are not too short then I will see how opponent reacts to 3 bets, donk bets etc. I am looking for something I can exploit.
The edges HU are small, can't expect to win em all, but any edge gained is important.

Last edited by JWK24; Mon Jun 03, 2013 at 07:43 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com