Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Not Sure If This Fold Was Good?

Old
Not Sure If This Fold Was Good? - Mon Jun 03, 2013, 10:07 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
One of my biggest Cash Game leaks I think is that I call too often with poor top one-pair or two-pair hands when obviously I'm behind to a set or better. Here's an example of one of those rare times I decided to fold. I had no reason to doubt that this player was a solid player and I put him on a set here.

Very little hands on him, here's some stats:

GENERAL PREFLOP

High VPIP:11 / 45 for 24.4%(avg 21.1%)

High Preflop Raise:9 / 45 for 20.0%(avg 16.1%)

Normal 3Bet:1 / 20 for 5.0%(avg 6.3%)

Very Low Squeeze:0 / 3 for 0.0%(avg 2.8%)

What do you think, should I have called this shove?

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jun 03, 2013, 10:35 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi royalraise,

I think you should have gone for the 4bet preflop and be ready to get in vs a shove. There is no reason to give away initiative even with a hand as strong as AK.

As played, I would have checked to him and planned to call down. You just put yourself in a bad spot by disguising the strength of your hand. I don't think I can come up with a clear response on calling or folding.
Primarly, I think the bad spot came up because you flatted a 3bet with AKs OOP.

Old
Mon Jun 03, 2013, 02:05 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Paul,

I too prefer to 4/b and get it in if he 5-bets. 4b to about 4.75 imo.

As played, I also agree with check-calling post flop. What are we getting value from by being aggressive now? KK/QQ aren't going to call us down I don't think. AA and JJ beat us. AQ we get value from either way. Betting the flop is ok as we might get put on a flush draw donking into the PFR and get called by QQ one time, but I'm not optimistic we can barrel and get paid off, so I would check the turn and call a bet. If the turn goes check/check, then we can bet the river for value and expect to get paid by QQ on all blank rivers trying to snap our bluffs.

As played I think folding is fine, this seems like a value shove to me so we are tied or beat a ton. Although we might sometimes fold to AQ here often I think AQ just calls us down and doesn't shove.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jun 05, 2013, 05:26 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoVARTA View Post
Hi royalraise,

I think you should have gone for the 4bet preflop and be ready to get in vs a shove.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Hi Paul,
I too prefer to 4/b and get it in if he 5-bets. 4b to about 4.75 imo.
Thanks guys,

Now that it's been said this makes perfect sense. I think I need to look at my preflop actions and find more profitable spots to 4-bet, this seems to have been an missed opportunity.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com