Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

KK - 2.5x Raise and 79BB PSO SOP Hand

Old
KK - 2.5x Raise and 79BB PSO SOP Hand - Mon Jun 03, 2013, 05:15 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
This hand comes from a recent PSO SOP tourney. It's a $0.55 9-max shootout and we are ~1 orbit into round 2. My VPIP is 0 so far. I pick up KK UTG.

I can never put him on AA here so I should never fold. Agree? I would also love some thoughts on what my opponent might have been thinking.

Thanks in advance

Old
Mon Jun 03, 2013, 06:00 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2012
I would have raised a little bigger but I guess that doesnt really matter given what happened after, the shoving was going to happen regardless.

As for what he was thinking, I dont think he was thinking anything, it was horrifically bad play to shove 75bb with AQ. You were a big favourite against his holding but got sucked out on. I would call here 100% of the time as the play looks so weak. It looks like a hand that doesnt want to see a flop.

Maybe he didnt want to play the tournament or had somewhere to be.

Hopefully you get the 'right' result next time.

Old
Mon Jun 03, 2013, 06:36 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Jcrondps!

With KK from UTG, I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I will raise to 60. I do not want to raise less than this, as I can be giving opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me.

I then get an out of line, abnormally large shove. A standard raise for them would be to 3X my bet and is a problem for them, as they are going to fold out all worse hands and only get called by better (value-owning themselves).

With KK here, I'm snap-calling this, as there is only 1 hand I'm behind and if they have it, so be it. Calling here is a +EV play here every single time, regardless.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

P.S. I want opps that play like this. They will win a bunch of small pots, then when the opps wake up with a hand, they will value-own themselves and double you... I make notes on players that make moves like this all the time and everyone is labeled ATM
They may get lucky every once in a while, but they will never win long-term making plays like this.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JWK24; Mon Jun 03, 2013 at 06:38 PM..

Old
Mon Jun 03, 2013, 06:58 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi Jcrondps!

With KK from UTG, I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I will raise to 60. I do not want to raise less than this, as I can be giving opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me.

I then get an out of line, abnormally large shove. A standard raise for them would be to 3X my bet and is a problem for them, as they are going to fold out all worse hands and only get called by better (value-owning themselves).

With KK here, I'm snap-calling this, as there is only 1 hand I'm behind and if they have it, so be it. Calling here is a +EV play here every single time, regardless.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

P.S. I want opps that play like this. They will win a bunch of small pots, then when the opps wake up with a hand, they will value-own themselves and double you... I make notes on players that make moves like this all the time and everyone is labeled ATM
They may get lucky every once in a while, but they will never win long-term making plays like this.
Thanks for the reply. I have no doubt my call was correct I'm just trying to understand the shove. It made 0 sense, as he has max of 30% equity of anything I call with. I would normally 3x that early in a tourney. My attention was a little divided due to an error in the tourney structure. The result would have been the same but still a lesson for next time not to let things like that throw me off. :p

Old
Mon Jun 03, 2013, 07:01 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrondps View Post
It made 0 sense
I agree.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com