Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

9 table preflop odds

Old
Question
9 table preflop odds - Mon Jun 03, 2013, 05:41 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
I've been trying to understand how to use the pokerstove calculator and was wondering if I'm understanding the odds properly.

For example:

I highlight the following hand range: AJ+, TT+ and get a number of 6%. Does this mean that in a 9 table game I will be dealt a hand in this range 6% of the time or once every 17 hands?

Old
Mon Jun 03, 2013, 06:59 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
It's not table size dependent, but in the long term that is the expectation.

In the short term, less than 10k hands, anything can happen though.

Old
Tue Jun 04, 2013, 12:31 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
As TJ says, it's not dependent on the table you're on.

TT+ AJ+ make up 78 of the 1326 possible starting hand combinations, so it means that the probability of the next hand you are dealt being in that range is 5.88%.
In the long run, you'll be dealt one of these hands about 6% of the time, or about once every two orbits in a 9-handed game.

FWIW, In many situations, I'd rather be dealt a hand that's not in that range. Facing a raise by an UTG player in a cash game, I would much rather have pocket sixes than AJo, for example.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com