Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Where my cash game is at right now...

Old
Where my cash game is at right now... - Tue Jun 04, 2013, 04:23 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
First of all, here is a plug for the statistical sleuth session that Dave will be doing on my 5NL Zoom play, which I think is probably coming at a critical point in my game as I think I am now at the point where I need to modify what I am doing to improve.

Here is the link for the session http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/edu...sion/?id=29736

I hope plenty can attend and give me some help and insight alongside, of course, the insight that Dave himself will provide.

I moved to 5NL on 1st April this year without ever having really cracked 2NL. I was ahead at 2NL and on an upswing when I made the move but I never cracked it. I simply made the move because I could afford to do it.

When I moved up levels I made the decision to play tight aggressive poker, not chasing draws, not playing low suited connectors even from late position, often not even playing low pocket pairs in limped pots.

My simple strategy was to play premiums, set-mine and play position with steal attempts against candidates I thought likely to fold with little hassle.

Its an inelegant strategy and has its pros and cons.

The pros are that I don't usually have many difficult decisions to make pre-flop. Its either a quick easy fold, a call if I have around about the right odds to set-mine, or a bet/raise with a good starting hand (AA/KK/QQ/AK/AQs).

The cons are that because I play such a restricted range I am probably missing out on lots of situations where I would be able to win some small or medium pots with hands that play well in multi-way pots.

The other big con is that when I hit a hand, I find it difficult, painful and soul destroying to get away from second best hands post-flop because I have already restricted the amount of them I play, so I feel the need to maximize hands that I do play after the flop.

This has resulted in numerous occasions where I have value owned myself as I couldn't get away from the fact I waited to play a hand and I wasn't going to be good in it.

This strategy to date has had mixed results. And I haven't always stuck to it with the required discipline.

I am looking forward to learning where I can improve things. I already have some ideas on what I can do.

As said, I moved up without beating 2NL, and I think this has lead to my nitty playing style at 5NL. The good thing is I havent lost significant amounts of money and right now I can afford to modify my game with some flexibility.

I'm very interested in hearing how others are approaching the game and what their overall strategy is.

And feel free to attend the live training this Saturday.

Old
Tue Jun 04, 2013, 04:40 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2012
I hope you get as much out of your session with Dave as I did!

GL!

Roland GTX

Old
Tue Jun 04, 2013, 09:32 AM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland GTX View Post
I hope you get as much out of your session with Dave as I did!

GL!

Roland GTX
Thanks Roland.

After your post I thought it made sense to go back and watch the library videos of your session with Dave and it was really good to watch it again. I will probably watch them along with some of the other review/sleuth sessions.

Its time for me to kick on a bit.

Best of luck in your games

Old
Tue Jun 04, 2013, 07:51 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
I've registered for the training session. I hope I'm available when it kicks off, as this should be a good one that anyone playing 2NL/5NL can benefit from.
I'm sure Dave will pick out hands that highlight big mistakes you made (perhaps mistakes you wouldn't make today), but hopefully you're prepared for the criticism of the "armchair quarterbacks" in the class and will find the session very beneficial.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jun 05, 2013, 05:04 AM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
I've registered for the training session. I hope I'm available when it kicks off, as this should be a good one that anyone playing 2NL/5NL can benefit from.
I'm sure Dave will pick out hands that highlight big mistakes you made (perhaps mistakes you wouldn't make today), but hopefully you're prepared for the criticism of the "armchair quarterbacks" in the class and will find the session very beneficial.
Yes, I've been steeling myself for the criticism that will come my way, but I always try to accept constructive criticism with an open mind and try not to take offence at it.

If someone says 'wow, what a ******** play you made there, NOOB' then I will likely take offence at that

Something I need to keep reminding myself of is the fact that I have been playing poker just over a year, been a member of PSO for just under a year, and I am very early on in my poker journey.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com