Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL - 3bet pot OOP river decision

Old
25NL - 3bet pot OOP river decision - Tue Jun 04, 2013, 09:23 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
Villain 31/25/7 (37 Hands)

I decide to raise it up here with AKo from BB; I would usually flat against tighter opponents but I felt that against this particular player who seems to be opening slightly wider than usual even from UTG, there is some value in 3betting and seizing initiative.

Flop is a standard cbet imo, now that we hit the turn I decided to c/c and possibly c/f river if he fires again since there are now 3 hearts on board. I also check to get value OTR from QQ/JJ and pot control. Do you think betting turn is a better play?

OTR, I went for a value bet against QQ/JJ and now I get raised. Are we ever good hear?

Old
Wed Jun 05, 2013, 04:10 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2011
Hey Geo

I think turn is a clear bet. For one we want to protect our one high heart semi-bluffs like AhQ or AhJ. Second, we can get value from a ton of hands all of which won't pay as willingly on the river. Third its impossible for villain to bluff raise our turn bet with a worse hand. Or nearly. Finally a ton of action killing rivers can come and rob our value.

So I think turn is just a big mistake taking a passive line here without much good reason. River is an easy bet/fold. We aren't even good here. If villain wanted to bluff, why didn't they bluff the turn when you checked a scary card?

Old
Wed Jun 05, 2013, 04:53 AM
(#3)
Okay, I figured that QQ/JJ would my 3bet so my reason for checking turn was to get value from those hands on the river. I did not figure that AQ/AJ would call our 3bet (I wouldn't but we can't assume people play like we do); you're right I think checking the turn is a mistake since our hand is vulnerable.

b/f turn
If we bet and he calls, what are we doing on non heart rivers? b/f again? What if a J or Q comes?

Old
Thu Jun 06, 2013, 12:14 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2011
Half of QQ/JJ combinations have a heart in them. So would any of those fold the turn?

Old
Thu Jun 06, 2013, 04:11 AM
(#5)
Good point

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com