Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL 6-max A6s MW

Old
5NL 6-max A6s MW - Tue Jun 04, 2013, 10:30 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi, the SB is playing 37/26/25 - AF 6 over just 19 hands.
and the BB is playing 24/16/17 on only 27 hands.
I decided to call teh flop because he showned strength and I had the nut FD, I thought that raising would just make him call his better hands and fold the others.
I called the turn as well because I was getting almost 5:1 odds to teh FD and if I'd hit I'd certainly be paid by his aggression. Should I've folded on the turn ?

Thanks

Old
reply to hand - Tue Jun 04, 2013, 02:03 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2012
5 to 1 is not the correct odds for us to chase, if the ace is also good that adds a little although if we hit the ace it might not be good and we actually might lose more money, so with the incorrect odds i think i would have folded the turn .

Old
Wed Jun 05, 2013, 12:43 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi fp,

Remember in school when the teacher would say "show your work". Redo the math, I don't come up with 5-1.

The implied odds are good enough if we stack him when we get there... the problem is I don't think we can count on that too often... the villain will be worried about the flush draw coming in, so the cases where we do stack him are:

-He's on a smaller flush draw... not likely given his bet sizing imo.
-He's got a very strong non-flush hand... like JT or a set.

And even with these hands stack action is hard because a diamond river he may decided to check/call instead of bet/call off.

I think on balance we have a fold here as played.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jun 05, 2013, 12:42 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2012
For the odds calculations I used 4,53/0,78 which gave me almost 6:1 implied odds. And the odds for the flush there would be 4:1.
I don't think that a 5NL player would fold sets or TdJd to a river raise there after showing this strength, I've seen a lot of players stack with the second or thired nut flush.
My odds calculations are wrong ?

Thanks

Old
reply to hand - Wed Jun 05, 2013, 03:01 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2012
I was meaning the 78c to win the pot and the rest of his stack as well , think it was closer to 7 to 1.

Old
Wed Jun 05, 2013, 06:50 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp_boss77 View Post
For the odds calculations I used 4,53/0,78 which gave me almost 6:1 implied odds. And the odds for the flush there would be 4:1.
$4.53 is the absolute maximum you can get out of villain, but I think it's unlikely he'll give you his whole stack. On bad river cards, he might check-call, or bet-fold.
A more likely amount for how much villain will put in on the river would be double his turn bet, so you might get $1.60 out of him there. That brings the implied odds closer to 4:1 or 5:1, so it's close, but I'd err on the side of caution and fold the turn. It's also possible that you hit a flush, but the board pairs and villain makes a boat/quads. :/

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com