Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

PSO 13: Squeeze play went wrong?

Old
PSO 13: Squeeze play went wrong? - Tue Jun 04, 2013, 04:55 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2013

As there was a low stack in the hand and the player after him just limped, I was thinking this was the right play. He just arrived at the table so I had no read on him (the non-short stack). Thoughts on this play? TT too weak?

Old
Tue Jun 04, 2013, 05:57 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi wilcogold!

With 10's in the BB and a limp and call of the limp in front of me, I'm definitely going to 3-bet here. The key is the sizing of it. A standard 3-bet size is to between 3X the previous bet (720) and a pot-sized raise (930). Whether I'm raising with the nuts, squeezing, or with total air, I need to make the bet size consistant and believable. In this instance, I would 3-bet to 900.... and be ready to muck to a 4-bet, as while 10's is a made hand, it is VERY marginal as there are a number of overcards that could pair the board.

Blindly shoving almost 10k over a bet of 240 is a great example of what I meant in your last post about being value-owned. Anyone with a hand worse than 10's should fold here and anyone with a hand better than 10's will call... and guess what called.. AA.

Whether making a value bet, raise or bluff, I need to keep ALL of my bets sized standardly or the bets are not believable since a hand should tell a consistant story. Abnormal bets, whether too small or too large do not tell a consistant story and when hands don't tell a consistant story, they're normally a bluff.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jun 05, 2013, 03:26 AM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2011
I agree with JWK24 that the all in was too much... Squeezing is a bluff preflop made to 2 or more loose and aggresive opponents, your hand here is certainly pretty solid and not a bluffing hand, plus you don't have any read against the big stack, whether he is tight, loose, aggressive or passive. Then again, even if it's a squeeze, going all-in will still looks weird, I would still bet big, but somewhere around 1440 ((5+1)x raise)

I think you shouldn't have thought of this as squeezing and trying to force a fold out of them though, TT is certainly a solid hand, and generally in this situation, I would think that I'm ahead unless somehow the action comes back to me still 3 handed. With that I would certainly proceed more cautiously post-flop and perhaps fold to over aggression, but with such a dry board and me holding an overpair, I don't know, it might still ended up the same, especially if the aces still insist on slowplaying his bullet.

I don't know what were the big stack thinking when he limps with aces, he certainly shouldn't have predicted you would shove, when it came back to him, it must have felt like christmas to him. I would never play my aces the way he played it, but I guess in a sense, he successfully concealed it with that play.

Old
Wed Jun 05, 2013, 04:52 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2012
I think what needed to be said was said above re: the old reverse implied odds thing (Taking the action you did meant that you either would win a small pot or lose a big one unless you sucked out, at least against the big stack, you got it in good against Bill).

I just hate the limp with Aces, I know it got the result the guy wanted because of your jam, but if you just called and spiked a T then you were likely taking his stack. As you said he had recently joined the table he cant have much of a read on you at all to know that you might try and squeeze.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com