Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

PSO 13: Straight versus Full House

Old
PSO 13: Straight versus Full House - Tue Jun 04, 2013, 05:01 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2013

Tagging just joined the table so I had no reads on his play whatsoever. In what spot should I have folded this? Or is there just no way to let go of this hand? Should I had bet more on the turn?

Old
Tue Jun 04, 2013, 05:28 PM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2011
I would probably bet more preflop, 3bb, but that's just me, and bb might still call that with A5o. As for the postflop play, I don't think I can do much better than you, I think your best chance to fold was when he shoved at the river. But then, I'm not sure that's a winning play in the long run, considering you had no read on him, and some people will shove there with any fives.

Just awful board, giving you straight, and rivered him a boat. I don't think most people can get away from this.

Old
Tue Jun 04, 2013, 05:30 PM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2011
I would probably bet more preflop, 3bb, but that's just me, and bb might still call that with A5o. As for the postflop play, I don't think I can do much better than you, I think your best chance to fold was when he shoved at the river. But then, I'm not sure that's a winning play in the long run, considering you had no read on him, and some people will shove there with any fives.

Just awful board, giving you straight, and rivered him a boat. I don't think most people can get away from this.

Old
Tue Jun 04, 2013, 05:39 PM
(#4)
Since: May 2013
Yes, like he said in chat after the hand; "I probably would have folded pre if you bet more". Yet on this table it was the standard openingsize so idk. But I agree 2.5-3.5bb should be better. Looking back at the hand I was pretty sure he had a five, and should have guessed he had A5 on the river, as that would explain the call pre. But that is just looking back of course.

Old
Tue Jun 04, 2013, 06:41 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi wilcogold!

With 78s from the CO, or any other hand that I'm going to play, I need to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper. I do not want to bet more nor less than this. Betting smaller screams to the opps that I have a marginal hand and that is something that I do not want to do. Also, betting less gives the opps left to act the correct odds to stay in the hand and try to outdraw me... another thing that I want to avoid if at all possible.

I flop a gutshot straight on a board with a pair. Even though I normally make a c-bet (once again, against only 1 opp, a standard 1/2 pot value bet), without having a hand that can beat a bluff, I'm going to check here. Betting less than 1/2 pot is a bet that will give the opp a +EV call and I do not want to make a bet where the opp expects to gain chips from me. I want my bets to expect to gain chips from the opps.

I turn the straight, but with a pair on the board and a flush draw, it may or may not end up the best hand. Once again, I need to make a 1/2 pot value bet when the opp checks to me. By betting smaller than normal on the flop, then much larger than normal on the turn, any observant opp knows exactly what I have... 78 for a straight. I do not want to make bets that tell the opp what cards I have, because they can then act accordingly.

When my bets tell the opp that I have a straight and I get raised, I need to muck here. The only thing that will raise here is a full house and I have absolutely no way to beat one, as I'm drawing dead.

The keys here are the bet sizes. By not making standard bets, I have basically told the opp the exact cards that I'm playing... and when they know what I have and they raise, the have a hand that beats me and I need to muck.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com