Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL 6-max Zoom 22 PF

Old
5NL 6-max Zoom 22 PF - Thu Jun 06, 2013, 03:32 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi, the villain that 3-bets is playing 14/11/20 over just 30 hands. The flat calelr is playing 29/14/0 over just 29 hands.

Can I call with pocket pairs in these spots to set mine after having a cold caller and closing the action ?

Thanks

Old
Thu Jun 06, 2013, 07:00 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
I think this one's pretty close. When set-mining, I usually want implied odds of 15:1 to make it worthwhile to play the "spike or hike" game. The button is pretty tight, so he's likely to have a big hand here, which means you have a good chance of stacking him if you make a set and he can't fold an overpair. The problem is that you're OOP, so it will be harder to get full value, as villain could check-behind for pot control on one street. But let's do the math.
You need to call 30c, so implied odds of 15:1 mean you need to be able to win 15 * 30c = $4.50. There's already $1.10 in the pot, and you'll have $4.30 behind. $1.10 + $4.30 = $5.40. When you factor in the third player, who may also put some money in the pot post-flop, you could win even more. So the potential prfot is a bit more than fifteen times the cost of calling, but I'd be reluctant to play the smallest pair here, as there's a slightly higher chance of being over-setted. That coupled with being OOP to the 3-bettor makes this one a close fold, I think. Calling with 66+ would probably be fine, and the post-flop line I'd take if I hit a set would be to check-call the flop, check-shove the turn. If villain checks the turn, then lead the river.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com