Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5nl 6 Max Zoom - Flopping 2 Pair

Old
5nl 6 Max Zoom - Flopping 2 Pair - Fri Jun 07, 2013, 05:56 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011

Looking back i think i played this horribly passive maybe i should have folded pre or raise flop to see where im at and potentially get away

Old
Fri Jun 07, 2013, 08:34 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2012
Hi,

Preflop I am only calling if I know that the villain is doing a fair bit of light 3betting from the button. AQ is a hand that is in a very bad shape against all premiums and it is very difficult to play it OOP without some kind of a read on your opponent's play.

If we decide to flat pre and see a flop I think we should always be stacking off here. Assuming we made the call because the villain is a frequent enough light 3bettor he will be stacking off a lot of worse hands himself - AK,AJ,AT,KJ naked Kc or Tc for royal flush draw... My plan would be to check raise flop and get all the money in by either calling off OTF or shoving OTT.

Old
Fri Jun 07, 2013, 08:58 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi Ads,

I agree with Tommy. I don't like calling the 3bet with AQ OOP without any reads on villain.
Either fold, or change your hand to a bluff by 4bet/folding.

Old
Sun Jun 09, 2013, 01:38 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi ads,

Folding preflop is a valid option for sure, reads would help but if you look at this situation over a large sample size you will find you're losing money when you call a 3b with AQ out of position. It's a big reverse implied odds hand... when we miss (2/3rds of the time) we check-fold a lot and lose the small/med pot. When we hit our hand and make the best hand, we usually take down a small/med pot when it holds up. When we hit our hand and make 2nd best, we lose a big pot. All those things combined make for -EV, so without clear reads and a clear plan for exploiting a villain to make it +EV, folding is a fine choice.

Post flop is ugly but I can see being stuck in now that we do beat AK and KK, but we're still losing to AA, QQ, JJ so it's by no means a feel good spot. It's avoided by folding pre though.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com