Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5nl 6 Max Zoom - Overpairs

Old
5nl 6 Max Zoom - Overpairs - Fri Jun 07, 2013, 06:39 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011
Think i can link these two together since their kinda similar misplayed the JJ hand on the river couldve got away...

Ads

Old
Fri Jun 07, 2013, 08:06 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi Ads,

It's kind of hard to tell without stats or reads.

Hand#1: When people limp/call I usually like to think that they have Ax hands, SCs,small pp, or some marginal broadway holding that looks nice like J9s forexample.

Against { 77-22, Ac9c, Ac8c, A7s-A6s, KcTc, Kc9c, QcTc, Qc9c, JcTc, Jc9c, Tc9c, 9c8c, 97s, 87s, 76s, 65s, A7o-A6o, 97o, 87o, 76o, 65o } we have 47% equity OTT; I'd bet turn because now 33 and 7x hands are always calling. If I'm raised, I'm folding.

OTR against that same range we now only have 21% equity, I think I like a c/f here

Hand#2
When someone flats a 4bet, I'm always cautious on boards that contain a T or J because I see many players flat 4bets with JJ/TT; They are not comfortable getting it in preflop, yet they feel that these hands are too strong to fold. However, this guy min 3bets us. I never understand this sizing! I don't fault you getting it here, I might have done the same.
Against { JJ-TT, 77, AJs, KQs, Q9s, J9s+, T9s, 98s, AJo, KQo, JTo, 98o } we have 40% equity and we have already put in 1.75$ into the pot > 1/3 of our stack. Calling is not an option I think, so either get it in or fold.
With 4.57$ in the pot, shoving 3.25$ more give roughly 40% odds. If we include slow played AA/KK in his range I think we should fold.

Old
Fri Jun 07, 2013, 08:19 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2012
Hi,

I cannot see the 2nd hand so I will only try to analyse the 1st one.

When someone limp calls UTG and then calls 2 streets on that board I think his range consists almost entirely of pocket pairs and FDs (occasionally 78 maybe even 89). Therefore I like your 2 barrels - you can get value from all pocket pairs - TT,99,88,77,33 and FDs while only being behind against - 78,44,55,66 which makes for a clear value bet for me. OTR, however, I think we should be very comfortable check folding as I would expect the villain to only bet with hand that has us beat. Every now and then we will get bluffed by a missed hand like Tc9c but that is not a big enough part of his range to justify the call. He is not turning 33 into a bluff and 99,TT and the rare 89 have enough showdown value to check behind.

Old
Sun Jun 09, 2013, 01:13 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi ads,

I think the JJ hand is fine til the river. Even without read the guy limp-calling is probably on a lot of small and mid pocket pairs, suited cards, and broadways. He's folding broadways on the flop as well as suiteds that don't connect, and I'd guess continuing with all pocket pairs on this board texture as well as all draws. I think taking a bet/fold line on the flop and turn is fine here, but don't think we can bet this river for value without reads, it's too thin. Clubs busted and will just fold. All the straight draws got there, and pocket pairs we are not beating 44-88 so that's the majority of them, while 22/33 won't call a big river bet, so I don't think there's enough hands in his range at the river we can get value from. I would check here and maybe call a small bet, fold to a big one... I expect him to check down quite a bit if we're good, and make a big bet with a straight or better.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 09, 2013, 01:20 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi ads,

QQ hand is probably just a release on the flop tbh. The unknown villain min-3bets, we don't know if that's the classic bet sizing tell of a monster or if he just always sizes his bets for the minimum. You elect to 4b (I might call here, as if he 5-bets I think we have to fold QQ but I hate 4b/folding QQ on 100bb effective).

He flats the 4b. At this point I think his range is largely TT+ and AK unless he's wild (which we don't know). This flop is horrid for us, you c-bet big with 2/3rds pot and he raises. Now we're losing to AA-TT, and he's not likely to be raising AK, probably not playing AJ this way pre and post. I think we are beat the vast majority of the time here, without reads, making it a sigh/fold for me.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com