Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5nl 6 Max Zoom - AK vs KQ

Old
5nl 6 Max Zoom - AK vs KQ - Fri Jun 07, 2013, 06:40 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2011

Any chance of getting away from this maybe on the turn?

Ads

Old
Fri Jun 07, 2013, 07:36 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
Hi ads,

Any stats or reads?

First, I'd start by making a slightly larger 3bet OOP. 10bbs so 0.5$ instead of 0.45$
I'd bet flop bigger 0.65$ to get value from FDs, gutshots, weaker Ax hands

This player seems passive now that we see SD, I expect most players to raise turn for value from TP + draws, sets, etc. I might consider a c/c OTT, x/f spade or K river, but against a passive player I'd bet turn. The problem with betting the turn is that we commit ourself by putting >1/3 of our stack in the pot.
Not sure about river though, what worse hands will call? I can only see AQ. It's a paired board with two to a flush and st8 possibility, our relative hand strength goes down.

Old
Fri Jun 07, 2013, 01:05 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
This is a pretty tricky spot, because the stack to pot ratio on the flop is just less than 5 to 1, so it's not quite an obvious "commit to getting your stack in with TPTK" situation when villain is unknown. A slightly larger 3-bet pre would help lower the SPR, but there's nothing we can do about the horrible turn card. The Jc is one of the worse cards in the deck (Js and Qs are worse) because JJ and AJ get there, as well as KQ if that was bad enough to float with the gutterball. (KQss obviously shows up sometimes, but that's just one combo).
Villain has so many two pairs and sets in his range on the turn, that I'm slowing down. It's really hard to get called by worse. As geo points out, the only hands we beat are AQ and maybe some nut flush draws with the As. I think check-calling the turn would be my line, to try and keep the pot-size under control (which is obviously difficult OOP in a 3-bet pot). Check-calling small bets on blank rivers might be OK, but when the As hits, you're basically only beating a red AQ. You've put in half your stack, but check-folding on this particular river would be preferred. There are so few hands you beat, several that have you crushed, and almost no bluffs in villain's range.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com