Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

mini bankroll

Old
mini bankroll - Fri Jun 07, 2013, 07:23 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
BronzeStar
ive just deposit my 1st 1,000php ($24)to pokerstars.com., i know its just a little., but i almost double it up to $45 in just few days., my next target is to double it up again., hope you can give me some tip to my little bankroll.,

Old
Fri Jun 07, 2013, 07:35 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
***Moved***

Hello,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline. Here's a short video about PSO and what it has to offer you. Also check out >>This Page<< for more info.

We're here to help you so please feel free to ask any questions you may have and thank you for being a member of PokerSchoolOnline.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jun 07, 2013, 08:54 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Will welcome you to the site and congratulations on your initial double-up. The video is a good start, but I have a feeling you want something more direct. So here's a few tips I've garnered from reading these forums.

1 --- Find the game you like. I'm not just talking a poker games such as Omaha, Stud, or Holdem; I also mean the type of game, such as STT, SNG, ring, or MTT.

2 --- Stay within your budget. It is easy to push yourself into a battle at a higher cost level where your mind is more focused on the money than the play.

3 --- Know thyself. No philosophy lesson, something more practical. Play when your mind can focus on the game without the usual real life distractions. Online play is far more taxing than live since the speed is sometimes double what you encounter. Be mentally and physically ready to play.

4 --- Make friends with a clock. What I mean is have a predetermined end time. It can either be a certain number of games, or a set playing time. When you hit that limit, leave. Adjust with experience, but don't push it when you are losing or winning. Reason? See Item 5

5 --- Change is inevitable. Winning streaks end and losing streaks will break. Usually the first happens when you are desperate for just one more success and the other seems to last forever. Be ready for both and know they are a normal part of the game.

6 --- Keep learning by reading the forum, watching a few training videos, watching a few games without playing, testing a new style in play chips, or a poker book. None of us knows everything, so keep an open mind.

7 --- Get some help. You'll find there is a lot of companion software on the market, such as Holdem Manager, Poker Tracker, and the Indicator series out there that can offer you clues to where your game is weak. Many offer free trials, avail yourself of them.

8 --- This is most important, have fun playing. When the game becomes a job, take a step back, stop playing for a few days, find another distraction. Unless you intend making this a full-time enterprise, too much online poker can burn you out and leave you wondering why you even started. If playing ever stops being fun, consider why you play and decide which is better, poker or real life. Personally, real life is always the better choice.

Old
Fri Jun 07, 2013, 12:29 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi kimj16! What game are you currently playing - cash games or tournaments? Bankroll management is very important, because you can lose money just as quickly as you can make it if you have a run of bad luck.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jun 07, 2013, 01:32 PM
(#5)
Hi Kim,

Check out this tutorial on Bankroll Management. There is plenty of good information in the PSO Poker Courses to accelerate your poker education.

Good luck at the tables.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
bankroll - Sun Jun 09, 2013, 10:02 AM
(#6)
holdupman48
(holdupman1)
BronzeStar
Just be careful variance can be hard on a bankroll.

7 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
6 max - Thu Jun 20, 2013, 01:20 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
@artysmokesps

sir im playing my no limit hold em at full ring table.., because thats my game in live poker before i start to play at online poker.., we also play single table sit and go sometimes., so i also try it online.,

but i find it kinda difficult to adjust in online game when i started multi tabling., so i decided to take a break and relax., then ive change my game now..,

now im playing on a 6 max no limit hold em.., i think i find my play in here., 6 max.,

Last edited by kimj16; Thu Jun 20, 2013 at 01:24 PM..

Old
Thu Jun 20, 2013, 01:22 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdupman48 View Post
Just be careful variance can be hard on a bankroll.
sir what do you mean by variance??

Old
Thu Jun 20, 2013, 01:29 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairn Destop View Post
Will welcome you to the site and congratulations on your initial double-up. The video is a good start, but I have a feeling you want something more direct. So here's a few tips I've garnered from reading these forums.

1 --- Find the game you like. I'm not just talking a poker games such as Omaha, Stud, or Holdem; I also mean the type of game, such as STT, SNG, ring, or MTT.

2 --- Stay within your budget. It is easy to push yourself into a battle at a higher cost level where your mind is more focused on the money than the play.

3 --- Know thyself. No philosophy lesson, something more practical. Play when your mind can focus on the game without the usual real life distractions. Online play is far more taxing than live since the speed is sometimes double what you encounter. Be mentally and physically ready to play.

4 --- Make friends with a clock. What I mean is have a predetermined end time. It can either be a certain number of games, or a set playing time. When you hit that limit, leave. Adjust with experience, but don't push it when you are losing or winning. Reason? See Item 5

5 --- Change is inevitable. Winning streaks end and losing streaks will break. Usually the first happens when you are desperate for just one more success and the other seems to last forever. Be ready for both and know they are a normal part of the game.

6 --- Keep learning by reading the forum, watching a few training videos, watching a few games without playing, testing a new style in play chips, or a poker book. None of us knows everything, so keep an open mind.

7 --- Get some help. You'll find there is a lot of companion software on the market, such as Holdem Manager, Poker Tracker, and the Indicator series out there that can offer you clues to where your game is weak. Many offer free trials, avail yourself of them.

8 --- This is most important, have fun playing. When the game becomes a job, take a step back, stop playing for a few days, find another distraction. Unless you intend making this a full-time enterprise, too much online poker can burn you out and leave you wondering why you even started. If playing ever stops being fun, consider why you play and decide which is better, poker or real life. Personally, real life is always the better choice.
thank you sir., specially in tips #8..,
just like to quote this one motto i learn in an indian movie.., i think its 1 of the reason i play online poker.,

"make your passion your profession., and work will become play"..,

thats why., i will guarantee you sir., im definitely having fun right now., tnx so much for the tips..,

Old
Thu Jun 20, 2013, 01:31 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalraise85 View Post
***Moved***

Hello,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline. Here's a short video about PSO and what it has to offer you. Also check out >>This Page<< for more info.

We're here to help you so please feel free to ask any questions you may have and thank you for being a member of PokerSchoolOnline.

Raiser
tnx for this video.., im proud to be a part of your poker school sir.,

Old
Wed Jun 26, 2013, 12:58 PM
(#11)
Since: Nov 2012
Hey, I am real rookie on poker but this tip has helped me improve my game and that way bankroll too. Find stakes and game you are comfortable with. This way you focus on game improving you skills and not staring at bubble and try make it to the money. When you are comfortable and dont need to think how much this game looses to you then you get best benefits. Also join PSO leagues and any promotion where these guys from PSO play. They help you so so so much.

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jun 26, 2013, 02:13 PM
(#12)
I wanted to know what stakes you are playing, because variance (how lucky/unlucky you get) can quickly make you busto if you're not careful. With $50 or so, I'd recommend you stick to 2NL cashgames (1c/2c blinds) and 25c SnGs. If you risk more than 5% of your roll on one table, and you do it a few times, you can quickly go broke just due to random luck.

Bracelet Winner

Old
variance - Fri Jun 28, 2013, 12:00 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
yes sir., im playing in the 1c-2c game., ive just currently move to 2c-5c after i triple up my bankroll..,

Old
Sat Jun 29, 2013, 12:59 PM
(#14)
Since: Mar 2010
BronzeStar
I had been building a bankroll slowly by playing the 2/5c cash games full ring. I had made an extra deposit of 20 dollars to have a shot at the 5/10c tables. I have to admit I felt uncomfortable as the total bank roll was only 120dollars. So I lost two buy ins pretty fast and had the sense to notice I was playing very bad and quit. I Was not mentally focused on good poker decisions and was more concerned about the money I had in play. This led me to play worse and some of the choices I made were just terrible, worst poker I have ever played.

I am now dropping back to 2/5c until I build up to around 200-240dollars and then I will have 3 or 4 buy ins set aside for the 5/10 tables. Bankroll is more of a psychological thing I believe. It was clear I was playing above my bankroll and was nervous about decisions and made some terrible plays and calls.

Old
Sat Jun 29, 2013, 01:52 PM
(#15)
Hi GONKO85,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Here is a link to help familiarize you with all the features and services available at PSO. Feel free to look around the forum
and post any comments or questions you may have.

You are invited to join the PokerSchoolOnline Community Home Games Club, and information on how to join the club
may be found HERE.

The PSO Series of Poker is running through July 7th, 2013. Cash tournaments are found in the main lobby
under "tourney" > "private." Play money tournaments (US friendly) are found in the PSO Home Games Club.
Hope to see you there!

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 16, 2013, 11:20 AM
(#16)
BronzeStar
can anyone help me in my 'poker math' problem..,

i know the basic rules of
-counting outs
-calculating pot odds
-rules of 2 & 4
and
-implied pot odds

but there's one thing confusing my game., maybe its cover by the rules of 4 & 2., the example situation is like in this photo.,

scenario:
pot is $10., i missed the flop with flush draw., and villains bets., $5.,
in rules of 4 & 2., i will multiply my 9 outs to 4., and will give me 36% chance of winning., and it means that it is reasonable to call $5 to win a $15 pot., 3:1 ratio., for my outs of 2:1., (pls correct me if im wrong)

the question is.,
what will i do if i know the villain will bet once again in the turn?

will i multiply my outs in flop by 2 only, rather than 4 because im only buying the turn card?
or will i call to the flop bet because of right pot odds then compute another pot odds on his turn bet?
or should i fold to avoid his over pot size bet on the turn?

simplified: am i getting the right pot odds to call even i know the villain will bet again at the turn?

Old
Tue Jul 16, 2013, 11:49 AM
(#17)
You can call on the flop because you have 9 outs to the nuts, and your ace might also be good too. On the turn, you should multiply your outs by 2, giving you about an 18% chance of hitting the flush on the river. If villain bets more than half pot on the turn, I would generally give up.
One of the things that pot odds doesn't account for is implied odds. These refer to additional money you may win that's not yet in the pot, but villain will put in even when the flush draw gets there. You can only estimate the implied odds, but when stacks are deep you can include them. e.g. on the turn, the pot might lay immediate odds of 3:1, but the implied odds might be closer to 4:1 or 5:1, because you expect to get paid off when you hit.
Since calculating implied odds is tricky, I generally just look at the size of the bet and go from there. i.e. On the flop, I'll call anything up to pot-size with a flush draw, but if the turn is a blank, then I'll give up if villain bets more than about 60% of pot.

As it happens, just calling down with draws is not very profitable. It's far better to raise the flop as a semi-bluff when you have a strong draw. Sometimes villain will fold immediately (so you win with ace high), and other times you can follow your flop raise with a turn bet that puts villain under great pressure. The other benefit of raising with a draw is that if you're lucky enough to hit it, you'll be winning a bigger pot.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 16, 2013, 02:55 PM
(#18)
BronzeStar
wow., sir artysmoke your awesome., thumbs up for you., and thanks for your answer., ill post another question about the poker later., hope you'll response again., thanks again for your help., much appreciated.,

Old
Thu Jul 18, 2013, 10:21 PM
(#19)
BronzeStar
sir is c-betting profitable?
i'm a tight player when choosing hole card., and wanted to be aggresive playing my chosen cards.,
but when i missed the flop and villain checks i've always make a c-bet to make them fold.., but if they call., i'll make another c-bet on turn.,

it always work for me because of my tight image.,
but is it profitable because they are folding on my high cards? or not because im committing my self to the pot everytime i missed til the river?

can you please teach me when/how to use proper c-betting.,

Last edited by kimj16; Fri Jul 19, 2013 at 12:18 AM..

Old
Sun Jul 21, 2013, 07:08 AM
(#20)
Since: Dec 2011
BronzeStar
Just use good br management and you will be fine then work on your game

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com