Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

[JK] I want a bankroll builder too.

Old
[JK] I want a bankroll builder too. - Fri Jun 07, 2013, 04:36 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2013
I love playing poker, one of my hobby and Pokerstars is my favorite poker site. I always play the freeroll and luckily won some of it. Bankroll builder would be a good start

Old
Fri Jun 07, 2013, 06:05 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jun 07, 2013, 07:38 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello optimus8778,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
What was my mistake in betting All-in? - Sat Jun 08, 2013, 09:56 AM
(#4)
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Last edited by optimus8778; Sat Jun 08, 2013 at 10:09 AM..

Old
Sat Jun 08, 2013, 12:54 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi optimus8778!

With 77 from the BB, I get 6 limps in front of me. Since the stacks are deep enough (both myself and the opps have 15+BB's in them), I'm going to check and try to setmine. While 77 is a made hand, it's very marginal.
If I did raise, then I would make a standard raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper, which for here would be to 9BB or 450. However, this bet would pot-commit me, as I would have to put over 1/3 of my reamining chips into the pot... something I do not want to do with a marginal hand.

My plan for the rest of the hand, after checking and seeing the flop, is to make a standard value bet if I flop a 7 or to check and fold to any bet if I miss the flop.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

P.S. Please let me know when you have passed the basics quiz.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jun 08, 2013, 09:07 PM
(#6)
Thank you for the analysis. Yes i will as soon as i passed the quiz.

Old
Sun Jun 09, 2013, 08:00 PM
(#7)
Hello sir, I already passed the poker quiz

Old
Sun Jun 09, 2013, 08:11 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus8778 View Post
Hello sir, I already passed the poker quiz
Hi optimus8778!

I do not see in our system that you have passed the quiz at the very end of the poker basics course. This is the 15 question one at the end, not the smaller ones during the course.

Please pass this quiz, as it's a mandatory step to move on with the promotion.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 09, 2013, 08:17 PM
(#9)
My apology sir....Yep i saw the last part of the poker assessment test. Sorry. i was misguided. Thought the smaller quizzes in every topic.

Old
Success!! - Mon Jun 10, 2013, 02:12 AM
(#10)
I successfully passed the Poker Assessment test

Congratulations! You have passed the Assessment Quiz
You have answered 12 questions correctly (81%). You might want to read the "Entering the Pot", "Calculating Outs" lessons again.

Old
Mon Jun 10, 2013, 12:30 PM
(#11)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Brilliant optimus8778!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Trash cards that can win by bluff - Tue Jun 11, 2013, 12:23 AM
(#12)

I would have raised higher bets but it's my instinct that my opponent was just only pretending by "checking" and yet i was holding the so called trash cards.
Since High King of Spade on the flop, i tried to raised the minimum amount to see their reactions, one opponent folded the remaining one just called.
Then Six of Clubs on the turn, opponent checked. I raised again with the minimum amount, he folded immediately.

Was my minimum amount of betting a big mistake with those cards i have or... i should have risk higher bets?

Last edited by optimus8778; Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 12:41 AM..

Old
3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet - Tue Jun 11, 2013, 12:49 AM
(#13)
1. To put a lot of pressure on opponents,..forcing them to fold.
2. To bluff opponents off with their decent hands.
3. To gain value from very strong hand and to protect against strong draws.

Last edited by optimus8778; Tue Jun 11, 2013 at 01:17 AM..

Old
Tue Jun 11, 2013, 03:08 AM
(#14)
Since: Jan 2012
Hi optimus8778!

There are several points worth noting in this hand. Firstly, try to play on tables where all the seats are filled. This will make it much easier for you to play good poker with good starting hands. Being on short tables forces you to play more marginal hands. Experience is needed to do this profitably. I strongly recommend that you adjust the Filter in the Holdem Lobby to only show tables with 8 players. That way, when you sit down, the table will always have 9 players. That is what I do

Secondly: When you do sit down at a table, be sure to check the "Wait for Big Blind" box! Paying 1bb doesn't sound like much, but it adds up fast and is just throwing money out the window since you will lose the vast majority of these hands.

Now, on to the actual hand. You are dealt . You should be folding this hand 100% of the time preflop. Here you paid the bb out of turn, but at least get to see the flop without putting more in the pot.

Niether opponent has shown any strength. If you are going to bluff, I suggest betting 50% - 70% of the pot. Our bet needs to be big enough to get folds. It is too easy for opponents to call the min-raise. Normally it will just result in bloating the pot without getting any folds. Moreover, 1bb min-raises are often a tell of a bluff at 2NL. An experienced player will take advantage of you if you continue doing this.

More importantly, this is not the best spot to even consider bluffing for several reasons. Firstly, at 2NL bluffing is not neccessary, and will often be costly. Playing ABC poker, betting your good hands for value and folding your bad ones is by far the easiest way to be profitable. Bluffing gets costly because many players just don't fold enough which makes it difficult bluff successfully.

Secondly, this looks like your first hand at the table. If so, I assume you have no information on the opponents. Bluffing unknowns is not recommended since you have no idea how to predict their reactions. The few bluffs that you do should be against known players in spots where you have good reason to expect them to fold. This brings us back to using the "Wait for Big Blind" box. While waiting, your job is to follow the action and start building notes/reads on your opponents, especially those seated nearest you.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Tue Jun 11, 2013, 03:19 AM
(#15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland GTX View Post
Hi optimus8778!

There are several points worth noting in this hand. Firstly, try to play on tables where all the seats are filled. This will make it much easier for you to play good poker with good starting hands. Being on short tables forces you to play more marginal hands. Experience is needed to do this profitably. I strongly recommend that you adjust the Filter in the Holdem Lobby to only show tables with 8 players. That way, when you sit down, the table will always have 9 players. That is what I do

Secondly: When you do sit down at a table, be sure to check the "Wait for Big Blind" box! Paying 1bb doesn't sound like much, but it adds up fast and is just throwing money out the window since you will lose the vast majority of these hands.

Now, on to the actual hand. You are dealt . You should be folding this hand 100% of the time preflop. Here you paid the bb out of turn, but at least get to see the flop without putting more in the pot.

Niether opponent has shown any strength. If you are going to bluff, I suggest betting 50% - 70% of the pot. Our bet needs to be big enough to get folds. It is too easy for opponents to call the min-raise. Normally it will just result in bloating the pot without getting any folds. Moreover, 1bb min-raises are often a tell of a bluff at 2NL. An experienced player will take advantage of you if you continue doing this.

More importantly, this is not the best spot to even consider bluffing for several reasons. Firstly, at 2NL bluffing is not neccessary, and will often be costly. Playing ABC poker, betting your good hands for value and folding your bad ones is by far the easiest way to be profitable. Bluffing gets costly because many players just don't fold enough which makes it difficult bluff successfully.

Secondly, this looks like your first hand at the table. If so, I assume you have no information on the opponents. Bluffing unknowns is not recommended since you have no idea how to predict their reactions. The few bluffs that you do should be against known players in spots where you have good reason to expect them to fold. This brings us back to using the "Wait for Big Blind" box. While waiting, your job is to follow the action and start building notes/reads on your opponents, especially those seated nearest you.

Roland GTX
Your analysis is highly appreciated sir

Old
Another Hand for Analysis - Wed Jun 12, 2013, 08:25 PM
(#16)

Was my playing style good with this kind of hand and cards on the flop?

Last edited by optimus8778; Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 08:49 PM..

Old
Thu Jun 13, 2013, 04:48 AM
(#17)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus8778 View Post

Was my playing style good with this kind of hand and cards on the flop?
Hi optimus8778

is a good starting hand from any positon. I strongly suggest that you open with a standard 3x raise here rather than limping. As a general rule, any time you are the first to enter the pot preflop, always do so with a raise, regardless of your cards!

In this particular hand, 1010 is strong enough that you can expect to win quite often with top pair. Therefore, it is better to limit the number of oppenents in the hand by raising preflop. The gets you value an protects your hand.

As played, the flop is all low cards. Leading with a bet is good here. However, I suggest betting 50%-70% of the pot. Overbetting (betting more than the pot) will quickly get you value-owned. This means all the hands you are beating will fold which means you win less when you are ahead, whereas only the hands beating you will call which means you lose more when you are behind. We want to create the opposite situation. Win more, lose less!

This same logic is true on the turn. I would prefer calling rather than raising. You only have a pair. We don't want to overplay it. Moreover, we want to keep the villain's range wide. We want hands like A9 to keep firing bullets.

On the river I would call as well. You are probably ahead, but with the board paired as it is, what are you going to do if the villain raises you? We don't want to get bluffed into folding the best hand!

Roland GTX

Old
Thu Jun 13, 2013, 11:25 AM
(#18)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi optimus8778!

Please let me know when you have passed the cash game quiz.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Success!! - Fri Jun 14, 2013, 02:48 PM
(#19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Hi optimus8778!

Please let me know when you have passed the cash game quiz.

John (JWK24)

Congratulations! You have passed the NL-Cash
You have answered 83% of the questions correctly and passed the quiz. Congratulations!

Old
Fri Jun 14, 2013, 06:10 PM
(#20)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello optimus8778,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com