Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

[JK] Bankroll Builder

Old
[JK] Bankroll Builder - Sat Jun 08, 2013, 09:23 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
Hey ,

I would like to participate in this programme to enhance my skills before actually money is spent in abundance .

Thanks

Old
Sat Jun 08, 2013, 12:41 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jun 08, 2013, 12:47 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello stevetej,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jun 10, 2013, 03:05 AM
(#4)
Hey John ,

I have completed all the task that is required of me.

1. Video watched . Nice description and walk about of the game client

Above is the link generated from the hand replay.

I would like to ask what is the best bet size to fish the most amount of money from opponents if I believe I have hit the nuts ?
What do you think i could have done better in terms of my betting ?

3. I have done all the reading as well as all the assesments

Thank you.
Looking forward to hearing from you soon .

Old
Mon Jun 10, 2013, 01:40 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi stevetej!

With Q4s from UTG, this is a very, very bad hand and needs to be immediately mucked preflop. When playing from out of position, I only want to be playing premium hands due to the huge positional disadvantage. Even if this was AQs, that is basically the WORST hand I'd consider playing from this position. If I had AQo, then I'm mucking it too. Just because I have an A or suited cards does not mean that they should be played.

If I was in the hand (which I would NEVER be), when I flop trips, I need to make a standard bet. This needs to be based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With 4 opps, I would need to make a pot-sized bet (160 chips). I do not want to bet less, as I could then be giving the opps the correct odds to draw to beat me.. and If I do that and lose the hand, it's my own fault that I lost.

The same thing on the turn, with 2 opps, I need to bet 2/3 pot. Anything smaller and anyone that outdraws me on the river.. it's my own fault that I would lose.

With one opp on the river, the standard value bet of mine for this situation is 1/2 pot, so that is the bet I'll make.

The big key here though.. is to muck trash hands before the flop. Yes, any hand can get lucky, but playing bad hands, especially out of position, will cost me great amounts of money in the long run.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jun 10, 2013, 01:41 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Brilliant stevetej!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jun 10, 2013, 02:38 PM
(#7)
Hey John ,

Here's Task 1 ...

Do you think it was rash to re-raise his bet ?

Old
Mon Jun 10, 2013, 04:53 PM
(#8)
Hey John ,

Here's task 2 ...

The 3 reasons why a person would make big bets :
a) To put pressure on opponents/force them to make tough decisions
b) To bluff opponents off decent hands
c) To protect your strong hand against a very wet board

Old
Mon Jun 10, 2013, 05:07 PM
(#9)
Hey John ,

I have passed the Cash Game quiz ...
So , all 3 task are completed !

YAY!

Old
Mon Jun 10, 2013, 05:20 PM
(#10)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi stevetej! I'll take a look at the JJ hand.

You're on the button with a limper in front of you. Raising it up is the right play, but your sizing is wrong. A standard raise should be 3bb + 1bb per limper, to make it 4bb (8c) in this situation. Minraising is a mistake because it misses value when you have the best hand, and gives opponents a bargain price to call and see if they can out-flop you. With JJ, you don't want several players entering the pot, as the flop will often bring overcards and someone is bound to have an ace, king or queen.
As played, only the limper calls, so you're heads up on the flop, which is a pretty good one for your hand as you have an overpair. This is a pretty dry flop. There is no flush draw and the only obvious open-ended straight draw is with 87. Since villain limp-called pre-flop, he has hands like 87s in his range, but small pairs are also commonly limped by weak players. When villain leads out for almost the size of the pot, I'd be pretty worried he has a set. 99, 66 and 44 all make sense. He might be betting with A9s or T9s or even TT if he limps a hand as strong as tens, so there are some hands you beat in his range and some that have you crushed.
This is kind of a "way ahead/way behind" spot, and the best play is to just call. If villain has a worse pair or a draw, you'll get value by calling and letting him keep betting with the worst hand. By raising, you manipulate villain's range. He'll usually only continue with hands that beat JJ. That's what happens here. Your raise leads to you getting "value-owned". Villain would fold his worse hands (so you get no value) and re-raise with his better hands, which on this board is basically just sets. Villain raises, and you call. You've now put in half of your stack, so you are pot-committed and can't ever fold your overpair, but your hand is nearly always second best.
As luck would have it, you hit a 2-outer on the turn and make top set. When villain bets out as expected, it's an easy call. Set over set is quite rare, but always brutal. You were the lucky one this time, especially as you never had the right odds to call the re-raise on the flop, when drawing to just two outs.

In future, try not to focus too strongly on your own hand. If villain's actions indicate he has a monster, and you have very few outs to improve, don't build a big pot for him. Just call instead of raising, and be more inclined to fold.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Mon Jun 10, 2013 at 05:24 PM..

Old
Mon Jun 10, 2013, 10:25 PM
(#11)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello stevetej,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jun 11, 2013, 11:00 AM
(#12)
Hey John ,

This was a hard hand I faced .
Would you consider it a stupid hand to play or simply a bad beat?

I lost the remaining of the 2nd bonus and only have $ 0.15 which is insufficient to play in cash games.

I have however acquired a total of 19 VPP's so far.

Please advice.

Old
Wed Jun 12, 2013, 02:38 AM
(#13)
Since: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetej View Post
Hey John ,

This was a hard hand I faced .
Would you consider it a stupid hand to play or simply a bad beat?

I lost the remaining of the 2nd bonus and only have $ 0.15 which is insufficient to play in cash games.

I have however acquired a total of 19 VPP's so far.

Please advice.
Hi stevetej!

This was a tough spot. My preferred preflop action would be very dependant on my read/notes on villain 3 and villain 6. Often I just fold A4o because it can be difficult to play post flop. Your 4 kicker is so low that if you flop an A, you may be facing a villain with an A and a better kicker. Additionally, your cards are not suited which would give you added flush potential. With A4s I would be calling every time. With A4o I would want to know that V3 is not super nitty AND that the big blind isn't super aggressive. I don't want him squeezing us out of the hand preflop by 3-betting. Calling as you did is fine as long as you are careful postflop.

You flop two pair, which is great. You are now crushing all the Ax hands, and most of the pocket pairs in the villain's range. The board is fairly connected, so leading as you did is fine. If the villain has an A with a strong kicker we may win a nice pot. The villain makes a rather large raise though. This is very concerning.

Calling, then folding on a later street would be bad because you would have invested so much of your stack. So, if you are going to continue with the hand, 3-betting allin as you did is fine. Or, call, with the intention of moving all in on the next street.

The question becomes is it getter to fold or continue on the flop? A read on the villain would help tremendously here. Have you seen him doing this often, indicating he could be bluffing/semi-bluffing, or has he been passive, indicating that he just flopped a set? I am not thrilled about committing my entire stack on two pair. I normally prefer to have a set or better before getting all in post flop. Especially at 2NL there are so many clear good spots to get all in that I am careful about situaions like this one, even though it seems to be +ev. Withought a read, and since this is your entire bankroll, I would have given the villain credit for having a set and folded.

I ran the numbers though. If we assign the villain a range of 44,AA,22, 53s and 53o which are all beating you and add in AK, A2, A5 and A3 combos, then you have 53% equity. Getting your chips in is +ev, but it is a cointoss. It turns out you made the right choice. The villain was extremely loose (bad). You had him crushed and got coolered on the river.

Note: you made the right move, but got the wrong result. Just remember that making good decisions is the important part. The result don't matter. If you continue to make good decisions, the results will take care of themself.

GL and have fun at the tables!

Roland GTX

Old
Wed Jun 12, 2013, 10:47 AM
(#14)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello stevetej,

Fantastic!

Your third Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 3rd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 4th bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 3rd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com