Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Some hands I'm not sure of

Old
Some hands I'm not sure of - Sun Jun 09, 2013, 11:38 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
Hello everyone,

As I'm new to this forum and as I consider myself a beginner, I wanted to share some hands with you and see if I played them ok or totally not. Comments would be much appreciated!

1. QKo - Villian is tight aggressive

2. AKo - Villian 8 is loose passive, 4 is tight aggressive

3. AQo - Villian is loose passive

4. TT

Old
Sun Jun 09, 2013, 11:55 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
Can I ask - what tournaments are these?

1. Raise but if you say he's TAG then fold to his 3 bet. Give him respect until you have enough info to make your decisions for you. A TAG (like me) will only play strong hands and you'll miss the flop 2 times out of 3. His re-raise gives him control over the hand, a TAG will raise 90% of the time in this spot. You either have to take control again which we're not deep enough or give up. I don't like calling in these spots. Much better to fold until you know his game and then 3 bet more and/ or fold.

Old
Sun Jun 09, 2013, 11:59 AM
(#3)
2. I think again it's a raise or fold spot. Hate calling here. Fine by your fold if he's very TAG. Min raises are usually very strong from a TAG. Again you must keep making notes on hands he plays and in what position. You will win or save chips by these notes in the long run.

I don't mind shoving or folding here depending on my own reads.

Old
Sun Jun 09, 2013, 12:00 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi maalinwA!

What type of tourneys are these from? The reason that I ask is that different tourneys have different strategies and we want to be able to give you the best answer possible. For example, league games need to be played totally different from cash tourneys which need to be played totally different from satellites.

Please let us know and we'll gladly go thru the hands for you.

John (JWK24)

P.S. In the future, please only put 1 hand per thread, so that we can keep the threads on topic.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 09, 2013, 12:00 PM
(#5)
3 As played. A loose passive wants to hit a flop. You have position and the ball is in your court. Well played. That's the result you wanted.

Old
Sun Jun 09, 2013, 12:04 PM
(#6)
4. I'm re raising that flop. I think I'm ahead and I want my chips in. You never gave villain's playing style as I think it matters a lot here. I'm going broke to a LAG.

I think your bet sizing in all cases are spot on and you're playing a decent game. Keep those reads and notes coming as it will be these that make you cash in the long run.

Old
Sun Jun 09, 2013, 05:27 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2013
First of all, thanks for the replies, they're very useful to me!

I was playing $1,50 SNG tourneys.
I will post one hand per post from now on!

Old
Sun Jun 09, 2013, 05:52 PM
(#8)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Welcome to the forum maalinwA, great to see you here

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 09, 2013, 06:44 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi maalinwA!

With KQo from the button, I'll make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I will raise to 60.
I then get 3-bet to 180 and while KQ is a good enough hand to raise with, I don't like calling raises with it as it can easily be behind (any A or pair). Due to this, I'll muck to the 3-bet.
If I was in the hand, which I would not be... I see that I hit top pair and the opp makes an abnormally high bet (standard bet sizing for one opp in the hand is 1/2 pot), I have a decision to make and that is.. to shove or fold. Any raise puts over 1/3 of my chips into the pot, which means that I cannot ever fold if I make that bet. Due to this, I need to shove the flop if I raise... a situation that I don't want to do with 1 pair, but I'm forced to due to my stack size.
---------
With AK from UTG, I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I will raise to 150.
I then get called and min-raised from the BB. With villain 4 being a TAG, I'm going to flat and hope to see the flop here. If the opp was loose, then I'd likely re-raise and since this bet would pot-commit me, I'd shove.
I then get two shoves behind me and with an un-made hand, I'm going to muck here. AK has potential, but is most likely behind with this type of action.
-----------------
With AQo from the button, I'm going to make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I will raise to 120.
I miss the flop (minus a gutshot) and the opp checks to me. Since I raised preflop, I'm going to make my standard c-bet of 1/2 pot (143). If the opp calls, then I'm not putting one more chip into the pot unless my hand improves.
I want to keep all of my bets standard, as if I don't, it can easily be a tell on my cards that will turn them face-up to my opponents. Bets that are out of character will be picked up on by observant opps and overbets are either the absolute nuts or a bluff and as soon as I'd have to show one, the opp then knows exactly what kind of cards I'm playing.
-----------------------------------
With 10's from the BB, I get an abnormal raise to 130. Here is whereI would like to have a read on the opp. If they are loose and aggressive, then I'll flat and setmine. If the opp is loose passive or tight, then I'll 3-bet to 3X their bet (390). The read would make my decision as to which I would do.
I flop an overpair to the board and I will now make my standard value bet for having 1 opp in the hand, 1/2 pot (143 chips). Since I did not raise preflop, I need to get the lead in the hand by betting. By check/calling, I get no information about the opp's hand, so I have no clue whether I'm ahead or behind.. which means I don't know whether to call or fold.
The turn pairs the board and I still don't know whether I'm ahead or behind. Due to this, I need to make a 1/2 pot value bet... or check/fold. I cannot check/call.
The river is definitely a scare card and here, I need to check and hope to get to showdown cheaply, as I do have a hand with showdown value.

The key here is that I need to 3-bet preflop or lead the flop/turn, or else I get no value for my hand and have no clue whether I'm ahead or behind.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John(JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com