Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Heads Up Sit N Go | Beginners Questions |

Old
Wed Jun 12, 2013, 04:44 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010

So you've decided to try out some Heads Up Sit N Go poker, but not sure where exactly to start?

Below are some helpful links to set you down the right path.

Andre 'HoRRoR77' Wagner

• He has played Heads-Up SnGs with buyins ranging from $50 to $200. Since October 2011 he has offered live HU-SnG and MTT-Satellite trainings.
>>click here<< for his video archive.

Tournament Section (MTT & STT)

• Discussions for all parts of tournament strategy (early, middle, bubble or late).
>>click here<<

NLHE (MTT & STT) Hand Analysis

• This is for posting any Texas Hold’Em tournament hands to be analyzed.
>>click here<<

Here is a video overview on how to use the hand replayer.

NOTE

• Alternatively this thread can be used for general questions about Heads Up Sit N Go's (reg, turbo and hyper speed) such as bank roll management, variants, structure/levels, opponent types, adjusting, table image, ranges, bluffing, value betting, bet sizing, positional play, and tilt.

• Please post bad beats in the designated section>>click here<<

Good luck and good decisions.

Kind regards,
CannonLee

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 02, 2013, 02:47 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2011
Thanks for all the HU info Cannon! Just what I've been looking for.

Bracelet Winner

Old
3,50 HU hyper sitngos - Tue Sep 03, 2013, 07:53 AM
(#3)
Since: May 2013
Just started playing headsup hypers a few days ago, always hated hypers (more of a normal speed guy) and i think im playing decent:

I do have a few questions tho.

1. What is an avarage winrate i could hope for? (im sure it wil even out eventually)

2. What bankroll should i have to move up to the 7 dollar ones? (i was thinking 100 buyings)

3. Are the 7 dollar ones much harder then the 3,50s?

4. Any good strategy guides/videos around? (only found 1 by 'Spacegravy')

If 'Spacegravy' reads this, very good video (sitngo series video 5) about headsup play.
I also started with the videos from 'HoRRoR77'.

Last edited by Delenlill; Tue Sep 03, 2013 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: started with videos from 'HoRRoR77'

Old
Tue Sep 03, 2013, 11:15 AM
(#4)
Hi Delenlill,

Great results so far! I do hope that you stick with huhypers, if you encounter any difficult situation that you where unsure of please do not be shy to post a hand for analysis, I'll gladly help you out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delenlill View Post
Just started playing headsup hypers a few days ago, always hated hypers (more of a normal speed guy) and i think im playing decent:
I also enjoy the regular speed 6min levels, although I do mix in some turbos and hypers as it's good practice to become versatile at all stack depths and blind levels! It takes a special type of nerve to cope with the ups and downs of huhypers, definitely not for the faint of heart!

Quote:
1. What is an avarage winrate i could hope for? (im sure it wil even out eventually)
An average win rate is %1 to 2% ROI for these stakes, anything over that would be an indicator of having an edge over the competition (excluding run good lol). A good way to get an idea of your ball park "true win rate", is to get sample size of 2,000 games exclusively playing huhypers at each stake.

Quote:
2. What bankroll should i have to move up to the 7 dollar ones? (i was thinking 100 buyings)
This is really comes down to personal preference, but as good rule of thumb 100 buy-ins should give you a comfy cushion to help sustain swings when first transitioning to this unique format. Although you could take 20 to 30 buy-in shots here and there, but if the outcome is not good move back down and rebuild.

Quote:
3. Are the 7 dollar ones much harder then the 3,50s?
For huhypers, no. But when it comes to reg speed and turbos, yes. You'll start to see tougher competition when you reach the 15's+, at this stake you'll start having to work more on balance and other adjustments on your attributes/arsenal.

Quote:
4. Any good strategy guides/videos around? (only found 1 by 'Spacegravy')

I also started with the videos from 'HoRRoR77'.
The only content we have for huhypers is by Grayson and on a few videos of Andre's where he played a handful of huhypers towards the end of his LT sessions. They each had different approaches and outlook towards the game, but certainly something can be learned from them to help set a foundation to build on.

Good luck and good decisions,
CannonLee

Old
Tue Sep 03, 2013, 11:55 AM
(#5)
Thanks for answering my questions CannonLee!

Ill play 2000 games and post my graph again to see how it goes. Im sure ill have more questions by then and i hope you can comment on some of my stats then too.

Old
Had my first bad run - Tue Sep 03, 2013, 08:56 PM
(#6)
Hey,

Had my first bad run, played 100 games in a row against "exitpaul.com". Started out great, then my bad run started. Still ended up with a profit tho. Took me 4 hours orso.

Is this a normal bad run that can happen in these games, or was i really unlucky?

Old
Wed Sep 04, 2013, 04:23 AM
(#7)
Hi Delenlill,

Putting in 2,000 games won't take you a long time to accomplish, as the average huhyper games is roughly 2mins.

Nice regwar session of 100games. Did you feel that you adjusted appropriately to that villains tendencies?

Regarding your most recent graph, these games where played at the 3.50's? If so you are presently running 8.5 buy-in under expected value and that is super standard, it's also standard to be running 30 to 100+ buy-ins under EV and those type of runs are extremely gut wrenching.

With the fast paced blind levels and and short stack depths the edges in huhypers are small, it's entirely about 'the little small things' that collectively will turn profit. This is a format where volume is of the utmost importance to turn a profit.

Do not be discouraged of a run bad for 10+ buy ins, it's normal. Just be sure to maintain your composure and do not tilt, easier said than done and each player tilts differently.

Good luck and good decisions,
CannonLee

Last edited by CannonLee; Wed Sep 04, 2013 at 04:38 AM..

Old
Sat Sep 07, 2013, 10:56 AM
(#8)
Im still playing 3,50s yes.

Quote:
Did you feel that you adjusted appropriately to that villains tendencies?
Its something im working on, but i think i did ok. I was very aggressive at the start, when he started calling more i tightened up my range of hands to be aggressive with. Im reading an ebook (free one) on husng.com that goes into this.

At this moment my run is very depressing lol, expecially for someone that just started. It actually makes me play less, and thats bad for the volume part of your advice. How can you deal with that?

I do like the way my EV line is going tho, atleast im making the right descisions i think.

Old
Tue Dec 03, 2013, 04:38 PM
(#9)
Since: Feb 2013
This has to be noobest question of them all, but: Where I can start playing heads up cheaply? Cheapest I am able to find are games with 50 dollars BI.

EDIT: Stupid me, found it.

Still, I find it a bit weird one can't play cash HU cheaply.

Last edited by braveslice; Wed Dec 04, 2013 at 12:27 PM..

Old
Fri Dec 06, 2013, 03:22 AM
(#10)
Since: Oct 2012
been reading alot about these games, and my understanding is that they are tough and alot of players out there are break even players even running at a loss but make up for it in rakeback, i am going to give them a go and see how i go, and the variance in these are heart breaking, as you only gain a slight edge because of the limited post flop play

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com