Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Grinding Hyper Turbo Satellites: Trying to Establish Shove and Call Ranges

Old
Grinding Hyper Turbo Satellites: Trying to Establish Shove and Call Ranges - Mon Jun 10, 2013, 07:31 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2013
WhiteStar
I have been running good at 2PLO recently and was able to grind out a 25 dollar roll from over a 2 week period only playing about an hour a day. I decided i could now venture into some micro buyin sngs and sats and was able to find that the 75 cent 6-max hyper turbo sats into the Big 2.20 were a good start. I have found that a lot of players at this level seemingly play too tight, because they wait for premium hands in a tournament that you only have 10 BBs to start. So far, I have been doing well in these, while trying to come up with good shove and calling all-in ranges for all aspects of the sng. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for their own personal ranges in these types of sngs. My biggest concern so far is how often I should be calling in blind on blind situations with hands like K7 and Q9, etc.

In general though, these are my shove and call ranges

UTG AJ+,KQ, 99+
UTG+1 A9+, KJ+ 77+
CO A6+, K9+, Q10+, 55+
BUTTON A2+, K7+ Q8+, J9+, any pair
SB: 22,A2,K2,Q7,Q2s,J8,J3s,T8,T4s,97,95s,87,84s,76,74s ,64s,53s,43s

Note: these are about 10BB shove ranges, I will become looser as sng progresses.

For calling ranges however, I feel like you need to tighten up a lot more depending on where you get shoved on from.

Call from UTG shove: AQ+, 1010+
Call from UTG+1 shove: AJ+, 88+
Call from CO shove: A10+, KJ+, 66+
Call from BUTTON shove : A7+, K10+, QJ+, 44+
Call from SB shove: A2+, K8+, Q9+, J10, any pair

If there is another caller in front, I am only calling with QQ+ and maybe AK.

Any thoughts on these ranges and moving forward, or just general opinions would be nice.

Old
Mon Jun 10, 2013, 07:54 PM
(#2)
Since: May 2013
I haven't really played these hyper-turbo satellites (but I just might in the near future so I'm just guessing here.

The bubble and the payout structure probably make a big difference there. You can have the shortest stack and win the same as the chip leader. That said, I'd play it much tighter. I don't know the blind structure or how many rounds it takes until you're blinded out but I wouldn't call with so many hands at all. How many coin flips do you need to win to make it to the money? Double-up once and then sit tight?

Once the blinds get big it doesn't really matter which two cards you're holding. Stack size is all that counts near the bubble.

Old
Mon Jun 10, 2013, 08:02 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
heey jw i would shove any pocket pair from all positions and all suited conecterz further i would say everything 1 ligheter and the calling ranges i would be personaly be a litle tighter and you dont have any ranges for bb calls her :P i would say shove lighter and call a litle tighter.
best of luck

Triple Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com