Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

[CL] Bankroll Builder | | |

Old
Arrow
[CL] Bankroll Builder | | | - Mon Jun 10, 2013, 10:04 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
Dear PokerStars,

Ash needs cash, and $8 sounds like a good start. Put the cash back in the "Ash with the Cash" login at PokerStars.

Thanks,

ashwtc

Old
Mon Jun 10, 2013, 10:09 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jun 11, 2013, 09:10 AM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2010
Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Old
Bankroll session reply #1 - Tue Jun 11, 2013, 09:09 PM
(#4)

was there any way I could have avoided this loss? This hand seemed to play out without any Indication for me to fold earlier.

Old
Bankroll Builder part 1 completed - Tue Jun 11, 2013, 09:16 PM
(#5)
Dear Moderator,

I have completed all 3 steps in the first part of this promotion.

I await your reply,

ashwtc

Old
Wed Jun 12, 2013, 03:43 AM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwtc View Post

was there any way I could have avoided this loss? This hand seemed to play out without any Indication for me to fold earlier.
Hi,

Hand Analysis

This hand is a fold pre flop. We are sitting on about a 22b stack depth and given the size of the current pot we are limited to being able to manuever in a multi way pot. Also there is a very good chance a range of stronger Kx (bettter kicker than the 3) is present.

Flop and turn, when you lead out for 100 on a board of K42 what range are you trying to get value from? Also what range of better hands are you expecting to fold? This is a dry board texture and entices a lot of possible floats.

Let's discuss the bold paragraph above.

Kind regards,
CannonLee

Old
Cool
Hand analysis reply - Wed Jun 12, 2013, 06:05 AM
(#7)
Dear Moderator,

First off, I agree the best way to not lose money this pot would be to fold preflop but...........

I was in the big blind position with $50 in the pot preflop. The big blind was raised only $50 to $100 to call. The pot total was 325 : 50 which gives odds to call with any two cards, K3o is ok, though I hoped to hit two pair on the flop. A King came on the flop. I made a continuation bet to get information, betting as a AKo, no one raised so I thought I had the only K pair and, if not, I knew I might have kicker problems later. A Jack came up which may have solved my kicker problem and I made another continuation bet to see if I would be raised and to try to get drawing hands to fold. My hand then improved to Two pair with KK 44 J, which could be beat, but nobody was raising but me. Tight agresive players would have raised KKK, AKK, 444 or KK JJ and I would have folded if raised. The only problem was a runner, runner in clubs came up which beat me on the river which is very unfortunate. Looking back, I should have been more careful about calling on the river when 3 clubs are on the board, but being that I only had 1300 to start, I was priced in at the end. This is the problem with starting with a small effective stack.

Oh well..... on to the next rebuy.

ashwtc

Last edited by ashwtc; Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: "A K came on the flop" looked like AK and "A J came up" looked like AJ which made the sentences confusing.

Old
Wed Jun 12, 2013, 02:16 PM
(#8)
Hi ashwtc,

Quote:
I made a continuation bet to get information.
There are three reasons why we bet in poker and to bet for information is not one of them.

1.) Bet for value

2.) Bet as a bluff to get a better hand to fold

3.) Bet to collect dead money

On that flop and turn texture, there are not any worse Kx that we can get value from. This range of kings has us beat AK KQ KJ KT K9 K8 K7 K6 K5 K4 K2, this is pretty much every combination. So when we bet with this hand we are either doing #2 or #3 on a short effective stack. Even though we where 'priced in' for a 1bb call pre-flop, K3o doesn't flop to well and is vulnerable on every board texture that we do not flop the world, let's also take into account that we will be at a positional disadvantage post flop. The majority of winning decisions are made pre-flop, meaning, good hand selection and position.

Hope this helps.

CannonLee

Old
Wed Jun 12, 2013, 02:34 PM
(#9)
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Old
interesting hand post - Wed Jun 12, 2013, 04:53 PM
(#10)

Here is an interesting hand, one I needed to come back to even. How was my bet sizing and could I have made more or did I max?

ashwtc

Last edited by ashwtc; Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 08:42 PM..

Old
Big Bets and reasons to make them - Wed Jun 12, 2013, 05:38 PM
(#11)
Big Bets are 3/4 pot or more and 4 reasons to make them are:

1. To put a lot of pressure on opponents.

2. To bluff people off decent hands.

3. To gain value from very strong hands.

4. To protect against strong draws.

I have passed the second requested Cash Game course and have done the other tasks requested for completing the second part of this Bankroll Builder promotion.

I await your response,

ashwtc

Last edited by ashwtc; Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old
Thu Jun 13, 2013, 12:24 AM
(#12)
Dear Moderator,

There are 4 reasons to bet listed in your courses:

In order to figure out the right time to bet, it is imperative to understand why we might want to. Broadly speaking, there are four different reasons to bet:

1 To build a pot and gain value for a strong hand (a "value" bet)
2 To protect a strong hand and make sure opponents are forced to pay to continue in a pot (a "protection" bet)
3 To force other people to fold so that your weak hand can win (a "bluff")
4 To learn information about the strength of an opponent's hand (an "information" bet)

Read more: Purposes of Betting – Poker School Online: Learn Poker Strategy, Odds and Tells http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...#ixzz2W4ApdjT9

I'm not trying to argue with you but this passage was copied from your course.

Thank you for your in depth analysis though, I have tightened up my play for the cash game. I have been playing alot of free poker tourneys and the players at these games are as loose as a knit sweater. It's easy to pick up bad habits from too much loose, agressive play.

ashwtc

Old
Thu Jun 13, 2013, 06:02 AM
(#13)
Hi,

Hand Analysis

We are sitting sitting on a short stack depth with a strong holding, there are two options.

1.) 3bet three times the villains opening size + extra bets from callers
note: This will inflate the pot and put us in a awkward situation post flop if called as well if we miss the flop with nearly half of our stack invested.

2.) Flat call the villains raise and take a flop.
note: The most optimal line, in my opinion. As it doesn't put us in the highlighted above

Flop, I do not mind the flop call even though we do not have the correct implied odds or rather our overall equity is minimal versus a made hand on the flop, although keep in mind that you are peeling to 6 outs and discounting all of our outs that are of the club suit, as these may plausibly improve the villains hand if they are holding a range of flush combos. With that said, a fold would not be a problem at all.

Turn, we make our hand! I'd bet a little bit more than 6c though, I want to set up the stack to pot ratio for a value shove all in on the river, 3/4 pot would be a sufficient amount to bet. There are certainly some worse Ax and Jx to get value from some of which could be flushing (drawing) with the stray club suit.

River, our bet sizing's are so important, it really makes all the difference in terms of extracting just 'enough' value. A general rule of thumb I like to use and it has helped me a lot, bet no less than 1/2 pot any time you decide to bet make 1/2, 2/3 or 3/4 pot is the ideal amount!

Hope this helps.

CannonLee

Last edited by CannonLee; Thu Jun 13, 2013 at 06:06 AM..

Old
Thu Jun 13, 2013, 06:15 AM
(#14)
Quote:
Big Bets are 3/4 pot or more and 4 reasons to make them are:

1. To put a lot of pressure on opponents.

2. To bluff people off decent hands.

3. To gain value from very strong hands.

4. To protect against strong draws.

I have passed the second requested Cash Game course and have done the other tasks requested for completing the second part of this Bankroll Builder promotion.

I await your response,

ashwtc
Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Old
Thu Jun 13, 2013, 06:20 AM
(#15)
Reply to post #12.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Now let's focus on your bet sizing and gathering reads of the villains at your table. (take note of their tendencies/hand ranges from previously played hands at the table for information post flop for when you play a pot with them) This is one of the most important profitable attributes to have as a poker player.

Good luck and good decisions.

CannonLee

Old
Thumbs up
1000 VPP limit to be reached by player or losing hands to be posted....... - Sat Jun 15, 2013, 09:47 AM
(#16)
Dear CannonLee,

Well, there I was, slowly being anteed to death, with my funds shrunk down to just under 0.60 cents after suffering cracked KK, AK and a couple of called bluffs. I had saved most of these shamefull loses onto the Hand Replayer and I was not looking forward to posting these embarassing hands.

Suddenly, I was dealt AA in good position, and I trippled up! QQ followed, I then doubled up and the long slide down was now history.

I have $6.70 in my account from exclusively playing 1/2 cent NL Holdem. My VPP started at 892 and I now have 1954 which puts me over the 1000 limit.

Thank-you for taking me through this Bankroll Builder promotion, I learned alot and plan to keep getting better at No Limit Texas Holdem poker. I was also able to win my way into the World Record Freerol on this Sunday where I will put my skills to the test again. I am also trying to win my way into the Trivia Freeroll 154 out of 386 even as I write this.
Bye,

ashwtc

ashwtc update: made it to 72 out of 18499, almost to 50 but no cigar (craked my all in preflop AA by QJ flopping JJx) next time.....

Last edited by ashwtc; Sat Jun 15, 2013 at 11:57 AM..

Old
Sun Jun 16, 2013, 07:45 PM
(#17)
Hi,

It may take up to 48 hours for the VPPs to reflect on our end, once they do your 3rd buy-in will be automatically awarded to your account. Great job so far at the tables and nice profit! I'm glad to see that hand discussion's are advancing your game!

Kind regards,
CannonLee

Old
Mon Jun 17, 2013, 08:41 AM
(#18)
Fantastic!

Your third Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target

2) If you lose your 3rd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.

3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Kind regards,
CannonLee

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com