Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Sometimes I hate poker

Old
Sometimes I hate poker - Wed Jun 12, 2013, 06:13 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012

Edit to add: I didnt lose it all at the tables, though I did have a little setback the last week or so. Just got so pissed off at the game I have emptied my account.

Last edited by bhoylegend; Wed Jun 12, 2013 at 06:17 PM..

Old
Wed Jun 12, 2013, 06:38 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
I thought you'd be playing with new focus after Dave's Statistical Sleuth session. :/
I have an "I hate poker" moment every couple of months and have to take time out. (I'm running so bad in PSOSOP that I'm being more careful with game selection at the moment and playing a bit more cash, as that gives me a steadier income.) Cashing out is certainly better than tilting off your roll at higher stakes than usual, but what's your plan now?

If only Pokerstars refilled your account, like it does when you go busto in play money!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jun 12, 2013, 06:49 PM
(#3)
I tried to play with some more focus but also trying to get in some more volume. To be fair, I dropped 4BI tonight, 50% down to outright coolers (Set over set type hands and horrible board run outs meaning a lot of 30bb loss hands added up) and some poor play. Its not really the end of the world.

I think I may have over-Zoomed recently. I've already played more hands this month than I did in April. That's too much. So a break from Zoom is in order for a week or two.

My plan is to play some SnG's in the coming period, especially in the lead up to Golden Week and through it, and see how that goes. We will see how it goes.

I'm still actually well in profit for the year over all NLHE game types.

The last week has been a set-back and I am feeling sorry for myself tonight, and I am so pissed off with myself, hopefully that will pass.

I'll be back stronger I hope.

Old
Wed Jun 12, 2013, 07:11 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi Bhoy,

I recently had a 'I hate poker' moment. I'd been running terribly both online and live. You notice the coolers more live since the hands are slower so when you get setup with QQ vs KK it hurts even more imo. Combining this with a series of coolers and bad beats online and I'd just had enough.

I ended up taking an unplanned week long break from the cash tables. I just didn't want to play and where I would have forced myself to play in the past I just didn't even think about playing. Luckily I had a lot going as it was the end of term, so I had plenty of distractions.

Today was my first day back at the tables and it was great, not only was I having fun but I was thinking clearly and I felt I was playing really well.

Everyone will tell you taking a break helps but it seriously does. The feeling will pass and as you say you'll come back stronger. As the saying goes 'poker will always be around tomorrow'. It's good to see you have a plan rather than tilting off your roll. Take as much time as you need, relax and enjoy life for a few days. Because lets be honest, life is way more fun than poker.

Best of luck

Oli

Follow me on: Twitter

Old
Wed Jun 12, 2013, 11:55 PM
(#5)
Since: Apr 2013
Dont feel bad bhoy,youre not the only one.Once upon a time i lost my entire bankroll too.I was so depressed and almost quit playing poker for good.Some time passed and after seeing some of my favorite players on action i suddenly felt motivated again and remembered why i love to play poker.So take as much time off as you need.Poker is a wonderful game.Hope you are back in form soon

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jun 13, 2013, 03:19 AM
(#6)
The morning after the night before and I have to be honest - I feel like crap today. Possibly worse than I did last night.

I'm really tired, which probably has something to do with it, but it feels like I have just been told that I'm not good enough to make the team and have been released to find my own way in the world. That does sound a tad melodramatic of course but I had put so much effort in to trying to make my game work and I just seem to have been going nowhere.

I'm impatient, that doesn't help, so I expect myself to be getting good results all the time and am so hyper critical of myself when I don't do well.

Zoom can just be cooler after cooler at times. You hit trips on the flop and the other person hits a full house. Set over set. Hit a set and the other person hits a straight. Flop the nut straight and get the money in and the other person turns their flush with absolute trash. Happens both ways of course. And I've made plenty of mistakes.

Thanks for your kind words guys.

Old
Fri Jun 14, 2013, 07:28 PM
(#7)

Deposited $100, went 50/50 with my brother on some SnG's, and made $12+ profit. Back in the game, though taking a break from Zoom, and actually enjoyed it despite some really horrific beats that reduced our deserved profit.

Old
Fri Jun 14, 2013, 07:32 PM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2011
FWIW, I find Zoom too tilting. It's great when you're running good, but when you get cold-decked, the bad beats come in so thick and fast that it's very hard not to get emotionally affected. I much prefer the read-based approach that I can take on regular tables. Besides, all those set-mining nits on Zoom get on my nerves!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jun 15, 2013, 06:36 AM
(#9)
Since: Feb 2011
One thing I'll say Bhoy is never play with anything you can't afford to lose. You'll play with scared money and lose it all eventually.

You made $12, that's great so why not change the $100 to another currency, forget about it and play with the $12 profit? Set yourself a challenge to build a bankroll by sensible bankrolling and never dip into that $100 again.

Poker is a great hobby that can be so rewarding but don't think of it as a get rich quick scheme. Those that work the hardest are rewarded the most. Everything you need to become a better player is on this site so work hard on your game and stay within a bankroll you can afford to lose.

Old
Sat Jun 15, 2013, 08:54 AM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
FWIW, I find Zoom too tilting. It's great when you're running good, but when you get cold-decked, the bad beats come in so thick and fast that it's very hard not to get emotionally affected. I much prefer the read-based approach that I can take on regular tables. Besides, all those set-mining nits on Zoom get on my nerves!
Yeah, that's the truth alright, I can't really take shots at people for set-mining when I did quite well out of it myself. At times it seems like it is the only way to play Zoom. You're right that you dont get time to get reads and the regs are nearly impossible to get money out of unless it is a cooler situation.

I tried to not play mechanically but ended up doing it and when I tried to open my game a little it didnt work out too well. So I became a set-miner and a premium pair value bettor only.

When I make it back into cash games I think I will have a bash at the regular tables, just a couple to start off with at first, and really work on my hand ranging because that goes by the wayside to some extent in Zoom when you never get to see what they were in there with unless you trawl every hand in your DB.

Zoom will have a place at points though when I need some quick VPP's and maybe after a break I will feel better about my Zoom game.

Old
Sat Jun 15, 2013, 08:58 AM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalman View Post
One thing I'll say Bhoy is never play with anything you can't afford to lose. You'll play with scared money and lose it all eventually.

You made $12, that's great so why not change the $100 to another currency, forget about it and play with the $12 profit? Set yourself a challenge to build a bankroll by sensible bankrolling and never dip into that $100 again.

Poker is a great hobby that can be so rewarding but don't think of it as a get rich quick scheme. Those that work the hardest are rewarded the most. Everything you need to become a better player is on this site so work hard on your game and stay within a bankroll you can afford to lose.
I have less on my PS account than I can afford to lose, so there is no worries there, even when I emptied my account during the week it wasnt an amount that would leave me broke. I'm a bankroll nit and could play higher stakes if I wished - I just dont want to without having earned the badges yet.

If I were to do the $12 to $xxx kind of thing it would just be as a challenge to myself and at the minute I dont really want to do one of those at the minute.

I know poker isnt a get rich quick scheme but I do want to make money from it, and that is my main goal, its too painful a game at times to do it without reward. I will work hard and harder at my game though.

Instead of sitting in and playing poker today I am going to get a little drunk and relax with friends

Last edited by bhoylegend; Sat Jun 15, 2013 at 09:17 AM..

Old
Sat Jun 15, 2013, 10:48 AM
(#12)
Since: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
HEY HEY!!! That's not fair i'm not a total set mining nit... ok not completely a set mining nit... ok ok i'm a set mining nit i've found the setminers the easiest to play against it's those All-in preflop SS that get on my nerves

Old
Sat Jun 15, 2013, 11:29 AM
(#13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoylegend View Post
I have less on my PS account than I can afford to lose, so there is no worries there, even when I emptied my account during the week it wasnt an amount that would leave me broke. I'm a bankroll nit and could play higher stakes if I wished - I just dont want to without having earned the badges yet.

If I were to do the $12 to $xxx kind of thing it would just be as a challenge to myself and at the minute I dont really want to do one of those at the minute.

I know poker isnt a get rich quick scheme but I do want to make money from it, and that is my main goal, its too painful a game at times to do it without reward. I will work hard and harder at my game though.

Instead of sitting in and playing poker today I am going to get a little drunk and relax with friends
I'm quite happy playing 2c/4c Limit for my own challenge but am bankrolled on another site to play $20 STTs. Do what motivates you and keeps you happy at the game.

Buy "The Mental Game of Poker" and read it. I still tilt but the book has helped me a lot in my game. After tracking software, it's my 2nd most important purchase.

Enjoy your beer

Old
Sat Jun 15, 2013, 12:36 PM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoylegend View Post
Unless a couple dollars an hour is life changing money to you (Not in your case, but for many people in this world that is a lot), that really shouldn't be your main goal. I'll tell you what my main goal is: To become a better player. I study a little here and there when I have time, and I am rewarded every time I play with experience. I will continue to work hard at my game and the money will come whether I care or not.

Last edited by RockerguyAA; Sat Jun 15, 2013 at 12:40 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com