Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

5NL Zoom - 99 OTB facing called squeeze from BB

Old
5NL Zoom - 99 OTB facing called squeeze from BB - Thu Jun 13, 2013, 05:41 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
I'm aware of the rules for set-mining in that we should have roughly have implied odds of 15x to call. I've posted a hand below where I am just not sure whether I played it right at all.

I had a legit hand to see a flop in position against a loose player raising from CO. I didnt want to 3bet and have him call, which I think he would have done based on the stats I had at the time, 38/23 over 13 hands (Small sample I know) and had called 100% of 3bets, which to be fair was a negligible sample size again. So I call.

The BB is a nit, he 3bets a decent amount at 4.8%, not aware of how often he does this as a squeeze from the BB. He raises it bigger than the standard raise I would expect and the CO calls. I need to work hard on my ranging but BB stats over 776 hands is 9/7 so I am as usual putting him on a premium range. AA/KK/QQ/AK. The CO could have a wide range of hands IMO such as broadway cards and suited Aces.

There is already a decent pot there and I decide to call the big bet. In hindsight I dont like my play too much as I cant reasonably expect to take both stacks if I hit my set.

Is it ok to set mine in a multiway pot with the bigger pot already out there?

Old
Thu Jun 13, 2013, 06:59 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
You clearly don't have the right odds to set-mine here, which is a shame, as you're virtually guaranteed to win the nit's stack when you flop a set vs his overpair.
The reason I'd be folding is that the 3-bet to 70c means you need to call 55c, which is a large chunk of your starting stack. Even if we were only using implied odds of 10:1, then you need to win a minimum of 55c*10 = $5.50. No one has that much behind. For IO of 15:1, you need to win 55c*15 = $8.25.
For this call to be profitable, you basically need both players to donate their stacks to you, but even with that happening, the implied odds are still only about 17:1.
As a general guideline for set-mining in multiway pots, I'd want the effective stack to be 130bb+ to even consider calling a 3-bet squeeze. When everyone has closer to 100bb, it's a pretty easy fold.

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Thu Jun 13, 2013 at 07:03 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com