Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

My First Bankroll

Old
My First Bankroll - Fri Jun 14, 2013, 06:33 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
Hi PokerSchoolOnline,

I have learned some basics of the game through basic courses and took the assessment tests. Really wish to apply the techniques for my first bankroll. Thanks

Old
Fri Jun 14, 2013, 07:26 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn_lh View Post
Hi PokerSchoolOnline,

I have learned some basics of the game through basic courses and took the assessment tests. Really wish to apply the techniques for my first bankroll. Thanks
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Please read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jun 15, 2013, 06:45 AM
(#3)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hi PokerSchoolOnline,

Hello,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Bankroll Builder Session Feedback - Sat Jun 15, 2013, 11:27 AM
(#4)

Hi, this is one of my hand played in 1/2 Play Money.

So I got in with 400 (the maximum buy in amount)

And the hand was dealt with me in early position (big blind). I was dealt AQ offsuit. 2 limped in, and a raiser (min raise), and another one limped in. With strong hands, I try to show strength by raising 4 times the bet. Eventually 4 players still in the pot which seems not good for me. Flop comes for me with a gutshot straight draw. Everyone checked except the cutoff, that made a small bet size compared to the pot. So I called in with a good price. Should I make a raise here or just call? And do you think his range includes K as a top pair?

Turn comes jack, which apparently gives me the nuts at that moment. So I go in with a small bet and he called. Is the bet sizing correct or should I just slowplay by checking in early position considering he bet first on the flop?

River comes another 10. I don't think he made a full house, because if he did. He would have probably raised me on the flop/river with hidden pocket pairs. This time I bet almost the pot size. I think I made a mistake by overbetting. Was this a wrong play to extract value?

Hope I can get your feedback and evaluate me on how I play.

Thanks

Old
Sat Jun 15, 2013, 12:06 PM
(#5)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jun 15, 2013, 12:49 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi glenn_lh!

With AQo from the BB, I get 2 limps, an abnormally small min-raise (std raise would be to 3BB+1BB for each limper), then a call of this. Since I'm out of position, I'm going to 3-bet and hope to thin the field here. My standard 3-bet size is to between 3X the previous bet (12) and a pot-sized raise (18). With a large number of players in the hand, I'll opt for the top end of this range and raise to 18.
With everyone limping or making abnormally small bets, honestly, I'd range just about everyone as ATC.

I flop a gutshot straight draw on a board that could have easily hit either opp with the K or 10. Because I 3-bet preflop, I'm going to make a standard c-bet on the flop here when the first opp checks to me. With 3 opps, I'll size the bet at 3/4 pot (50 chips). My plan for the rest of the hand will be that if anyone raises, I'm mucking since I have A high. If anyone calls, I'm not putting another chip into the pot unless my hand improves.

I turn the nut straight, but there is a flush draw on the board. With 2 opps, I will make my standard value bet for this many opps, which is 2/3 pot (64 chips). I do not want to bet less than this, as I could then be giving the opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me and if I do so and they hit... it's MY OWN fault that I lost the hand by giving the opp a positive play to call.

The river pairs the board, which is a big concern due to a full house being well within the opp's range. With 1 opp left, I will make my standard value bet for 1 opp in the hand, which is 1/2 pot (93)... HOWEVER.. this is well over 1/3 of my remaining chips, so since I'm pot-committed, I need to shove the river. By betting small every street, then bombing the river, it's basically telling the opp that you have at least a straight, if not a full house, so you will only get called by a better hand and will fold out all the worse hands from an observant opp.

The keys here are the bet sizes. I do not want to bet more or less, as this can be a tell for the strength of my hand. By making consistant bet sizes based on the size of the pot post-flop, I will constantly keep the opps guessing as to the cards that I'm playing. 1/2 pot for 1 opp, 2/3 pot for 2 opps, 3/4 for 3 opps and a pot-sized bet for 4+ opps.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jun 15, 2013, 08:13 PM
(#7)
Thanks for the feedback.

I have finished the poker basics course and the GS video as well. Therefore I have completed the 3 steps

Old
Sun Jun 16, 2013, 08:50 AM
(#8)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

I have finished the poker basics course and the GS video as well. Therefore I have completed the 3 steps
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Did i played it wrong - Sun Jun 16, 2013, 10:12 AM
(#9)

I was dealt KK at cutoff and a villain who was out of position raised 4 times the big blind. I raised to 8 big blinds and he called. I put his range on monster starting hands (AA,QQ,AQ,AK, or KK). He medium bets the flop with a rainbow K9Q. Flopping a set, I don't think he had a straight with 10-J raising 4 times the big blind, so I re-raised him and he calls. Turn was a 7 that I don't think didn't help him. With little chips left I shoved all in. River was a 10 giving villain a straight.

What is your feedback on the post-flop play? I honestly think that I made right bet sizing compared to pot size at all streets (except maybe I shoved too late), and I probably think he would have called anyway with deepstack.

Thanks

Last edited by glenn_lh; Sun Jun 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM..

Old
Sun Jun 16, 2013, 12:00 PM
(#10)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 16, 2013, 01:49 PM
(#11)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi glenn_lh! I'll take a look at your first cash hand.

The line you took in this hand is fine (raising at every opportunity), but your bet-sizing needs some work. Pre-flop, a villain in MP opens for 4bb. This usually represents a decent hand, but maybe this villain uses 4bb for all his hands. 3-betting for value is the right play, but you need to make the raise larger. A standard size for a re-raise is three times the size of the original open. Since villain opened for 8c, I'd go with 24c. Anything less, including minraises, gives villain decent pot odds to call with speculative hands, and misses some value. Since KK is only losing to one hand pre-flop (AA), you want to bet as much as you think a worse hand can call.
When villain calls the 3-bet out of position, he usually has a pocket pair between QQ and 88, but some villains are bad enough to call with hands like AJ or KQ. You get a great flop, with top set on KQ9. This is a particularly good flop for you, because villain's range also connects with it, so there is a lot of value to be gained. He can have many pair+draw combos, and might even have a set of queens or 9s. Villain takes the unconventional line of leading out with a donkbet instead of checking to the raiser. His bet is fairly large, so he's probably not folding to a raise. Once more your sizing is incorrect. You just click it back with a minraise to 50c. A better size would be a 3x to 75c, which sets up an obvious shove on the turn. The problem with post-flop minraises is that they miss value and price villains in with draws. You want villain to make a big mistake if he has a pair+gutshot draw. He's not making a big mistake if you give him a bargain price to suck out. He calls the minraise and you see the turn. The 7d is basically a blank. Villain again donks out, presumably because he thinks he has the best hand, even though you raised the flop. Since calling this bet would mean most of your stack is in the middle, it's correct to go all in here. The additional amount that villain has to call is so small that he has to call with any pair or draw. Unfortunately, he hits his gutshot on the river and drags the pot.
This villain is clearly a bad player who was only concerned with his own cards. He doesn't seem to have considered that you were repping AA, AK, or a set, so he got his money in bad. He'd probably have called big raises pre-flop and on the flop anyway, but you definitely want to get the most out of players like this. When raising for value in future, use a size that is three times the initial bet. This will lead to bigger profits, and fewer suckouts in the long run.

To get more tuition on cash game basics, I recommend going to live training sessions for the Wednesday and Saturday Games if you can. You'll even be able to play alongside other PSO members in the Homegame club and get instant feedback on the way you play your hands. Good luck!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 16, 2013, 08:33 PM
(#12)
Thankyou for the feedback.

I have finished the cash game course, watched the video and the reasons a player might make a big bet are :
1.to put a lot of pressure on opponents
2.to bluff people off decent hands
3.and to gain value from very strong hands / protect against strong draws

I await for further instructions

Old
Mon Jun 17, 2013, 05:57 AM
(#13)
(Community Coordinator)
Hello,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jun 22, 2013, 06:27 AM
(#14)
Hi, I think I have earned my 10 VPP after my 2nd bonus. Would you please check on it for me?

Can I ask you a question?
If I have earned my bankroll bonus, what is your suggestion on what path I should take on building my bankroll without depositing additional money? I mean, what game should I play (should I stick to full ring 0.01/0.02) and what is your suggestion on multitabling?

Thanks

Old
Sat Jun 22, 2013, 08:02 AM
(#15)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hi, I think I have earned my 10 VPP after my 2nd bonus. Would you please check on it for me?

Can I ask you a question?
If I have earned my bankroll bonus, what is your suggestion on what path I should take on building my bankroll without depositing additional money? I mean, what game should I play (should I stick to full ring 0.01/0.02) and what is your suggestion on multitabling?

Thanks
Cheers Glenn,

It may take up to 48 hours for the VPPs to show up on our system and award you with your next bonus, let us know when you get it

As for playing within limits you should stick to good Bankroll Management principles. You will find a good article about this >>HERE<<

Please have a read of that article and it will answer a lot of your questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 23, 2013, 09:58 AM
(#16)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Hey glenn,

It looks like you haven't made 10 VPPs yet Remember that there are 3 ways for you to get your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 23, 2013, 11:54 PM
(#17)
Hi Paul, my VPP is currently 18.33

The last time I reported to you I was 12-ish VPP. My VPP point after the 2nd bonus was 0.77 so I thought that should be enough. But nevertheless, now that I am at 18.33, it should be more than enough for 10 VPP right? Could you please advise on me again. I have earned 2 dollar btw several hours ago.

Thanks

Old
Mon Jun 24, 2013, 07:49 AM
(#18)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
I have earned 2 dollar btw several hours ago.
Thanks
Brilliant,

Your Bankroll Builder progress is moving along nicely and you've now got your 3rd bonus!

Step Three

Now we really want you to up your game! Your challenge is to earn 10 VPPs after getting today's buy-in.

Note that any VPPs that you have earned up to this point won't count, only those earned AFTER you get your 3rd buy-in.

When you hit your target of 10 VPPs we will award you with your final Bankroll Builder bonus. Let us know when you reach the target.

Also, if you make a deposit at this stage we will also award you with your final bonus.

Best of Luck at the tables and let us know as soon as you have earned the 10 VPPs or if you make a deposit.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jun 26, 2013, 12:18 AM
(#19)
Hi Paul

Seems like everything goes well, Pokerstars has credited my final installment. I am now currently standing at 28.44 VPP and $19.38, losing only the first installment of $2 and goes through with the rest bankroll up to this point. Last time was 3-tabling at full ring 0.01/0.02 and so far so good with little downswings. I guess my bankroll builder promotion has come to end, and I'd like to thank everyone that has guided me that I have reached where I stand now. I hope I can further grow my bankroll to 3-4 digits sum or more just by this initial bankroll.

Cheers

Old
Wed Jun 26, 2013, 04:50 AM
(#20)
(Community Coordinator)
Hey Glenn,

It was a pleasure and keep up the good work!

You are always welcome to post any troublesome hands in the >>Hand Analysis<< section.

Also it is a good idea to review some of the content on >>Bankroll Management<< at this point.

Keep in touch with us and let us know how your poker journey continues.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com