Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Late stages mtt AQ spot

Old
Late stages mtt AQ spot - Mon Jun 17, 2013, 07:25 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
BronzeStar
Hi guys,
Playing the 2.70 knockout lat nite and come across this tricky spot which I'm guessing I played bad!
Late stages less that 100 runners left
Me UTG +1 7bb 140,000 blinds 10k/20k
Me raise to 44,000
MP 1 flatted
BTN all in for 170,000

I call, MP1 calls
Me AQ
MP 10 10
BTN A K

We all have similar stack sizes so I know I should have open shoved but after making the mistake of not doing this I guess folding would be best move after this action.
What do u guys think??

Cheers therake1991

Old
Mon Jun 17, 2013, 11:59 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
dont really see how you can fold AQ with 7BBs like you said - i would of probably went all in, which might have made the AK hand fold (depending on the player and how close you were to the money or the next payjump) and then you'd be in a coinflip situation which you have to win every once in a while.

although from the look of it - after a raise with 7BBs and a call he probably wouldn't have folded the AK, but in alot of cases you would be in front in this type of situation in my opinion and i think it was right to go all in with it.

i mean if AQ isn't a good enough hand to shove 7BBs with, then what is? 1010+? how often will you get that when your so low on chips?

Old
Mon Jun 17, 2013, 12:04 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
**moved to better fitting forum JWK24**

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jun 17, 2013, 09:58 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi therake1991,

Yes, I would just shove preflop.

After making the raise, I think you are still commited here. Not particulary happy to call allin. But I don't think you can fold here. Button will have worse than AK plenty of times. You could be up against two pocket pairs in which case you're getting a good price.

Nice run
Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jun 19, 2013, 12:15 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2012
BronzeStar
Yeh your opinions are the same as mine and I know I should of shoved all in preflop but that was my mistake, guessing if I did and mp1 called btn would of folded and I would of got a flip! I int like to call the all in but I guess I was priced in.
Better luck next time heh...

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com