Since: May 2013

love it when this happens to me on the BB

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jun 17, 2013, 10:52 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Why the shove post-flop with over 30 big blinds?

Any pair Q's or better has you beat plus your opponent may be holding a flush draw or the gutshot draw (more unlikely but happened in this case)

You hit top pair on the flop, but I don't think that justified the shove here.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jun 17, 2013, 11:14 AM
(#3)
you are right i suppose just tried to get him off the hand

Double Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jun 17, 2013, 11:31 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman09 View Post
you are right i suppose just tried to get him off the hand
Yep, I understand that and if I was really short-stacked (10 BB's or less) I would probably do the same, but not with 30 bigs as a better spot can easily come along within the next orbit or two.

Risking the bulk of your stack here to win so few chips doesn't seem worth it in this spot.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jun 17, 2013, 11:58 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi nowhereman09!

I agree with Raiser. The majority of the time here, I'm outkicked, so I'm flatting or folding the flop. It's not worth the risk.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jun 17, 2013, 12:05 PM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2011
Have to disagree with you here JWK and Raiser.

His over raise is an online tell that I see a lot at micro stakes. Normally I'd say fold and wait for a better spot but I'm happy with your shove in this case.

Many players over raise with a marginal hand > gutshot/ bottom pair/ middle pair/ over cards. They are NOT over raising with top pair or stronger. We can deduce we are ahead here so I'm quite happy getting my chips in. They will fold the majority of the time but on this occasion they called needing to catch up. I don't think you done much wrong.

If you haven't already, chase this player up and stick a note on him. It will pay you long term calling in this spot. The result went his way so he's very likely to do the same mistake over and over again.

Old
Mon Jun 17, 2013, 01:20 PM
(#7)
Since: Sep 2010
oval arent you influenced by the cards you saw

300 pot you got top pair Js with a 4 as a kicker your opponent raises to 600 from the small blind after just calling/limping preflop.

dont think theres lots of reasons to throw chips in this pot even with top pair

edit: i see what you meant now reading it for the 3rd time nevertheless im staying with my statement

Last edited by Prohorse3; Mon Jun 17, 2013 at 01:23 PM..

Old
Mon Jun 17, 2013, 01:33 PM
(#8)
I'm saying it's a readable tell that you can use to your advantage in micro stakes. Royalraise and JWK gave the correct answer but sometimes we have other information that can change our game.

Now the OP might not have made the same play because it was a tell but I'm saying it was the correct play. We are ahead 90% of the time in this spot.

This is a long term +EV play in this specific spot.

Old
Mon Jun 17, 2013, 01:58 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2012
Going with J4 in that spot is a high variance play.

The majority of Jx has us beat including J3. I know I am a nit but I am just never getting it in here.

Old
Mon Jun 17, 2013, 04:27 PM
(#10)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalman View Post
Have to disagree with you here JWK and Raiser.

His over raise is an online tell that I see a lot at micro stakes. Normally I'd say fold and wait for a better spot but I'm happy with your shove in this case.

Many players over raise with a marginal hand > gutshot/ bottom pair/ middle pair/ over cards. They are NOT over raising with top pair or stronger. We can deduce we are ahead here so I'm quite happy getting my chips in. They will fold the majority of the time but on this occasion they called needing to catch up. I don't think you done much wrong.

If you haven't already, chase this player up and stick a note on him. It will pay you long term calling in this spot. The result went his way so he's very likely to do the same mistake over and over again.
OP over raised with top pair Villian just overbet

Old
Mon Jun 17, 2013, 04:33 PM
(#11)
Which screams "DON'T CALL ME"!

Yes, valid point and another tell but the re-raise was all in so villain can't call in this spot unless he has the goods. I think it's a far better play for hero to be making than villain to be calling

Sort of makes me want to make this play also on certain occasions... and I will, both bluffing and when I have the goods to balance the range.

Old
Tue Jun 18, 2013, 11:09 AM
(#12)
I should really had said that in previous hands this player did an identical move when i had 2 pair and he had nothing which i won .
Also that player was the next player to go out . i finished 2nd

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by nowhereman09; Tue Jun 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com