Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

[JK] Bankroll Builder DrazaFFT

Old
[JK] Bankroll Builder DrazaFFT - Mon Jun 17, 2013, 05:33 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
I'm new to PSO and would like to take place in the bankroll builder promotion.

Thanks in advance.
Drazen

Old
Mon Jun 17, 2013, 05:43 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jun 17, 2013, 07:30 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello DrazaFFT,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jun 17, 2013, 09:10 PM
(#4)
I dint quite understand should i post only one hand or i can post more...

Here is one which i played pretty bad, and similar thing happens to me often, was 3-bet a mistake before the flop, was the raise mistake on the flop, when i should have fold?

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

if it is not a problem here is a similar hand with pocket kings, i guess that there was a few mistakes too but i turned out good...
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Thanks in advance.

Old
Mon Jun 17, 2013, 11:27 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Drazen!

Only one hand is required, but if you have another hand or two that you have ?'s on, we'll always be happy to go thru them for you.

With JJ, I get two limps, then an abnormal raise to 100 (a standard raise would have been to 3BB+1BB for each limper or 50). I'm going to 3-bet here with JJ, especially if the initial raiser is known to be loose. The key is the sizing of the bet. My standard is to raise to between 3X the previous bet (300) and a pot-sized raise if this is the larger of the two, which here it's not as it is only 235. Due to this, I will raise to 300.

The flop brings an underpair in a 4-way pot, which is a big problem and an opp makes an abnormally small bet of 140 (std bet for 3 opps in is 3/4 pot, as the bets post-flop should be sized based on the size of the pot and the number of opps). Since the bet was so small, I'm going to call here with my overpair, if the opp had made a sizable bet, I'd muck. I don't want to raise here, as I could easily not have the best hand due to someone having a 6. Also, if any of the opps raise, then I'm mucking too.
-----------------
With KK in the BB, I get 5 limpers in front of me, so I will make a standard raise to 3BB+1BB for each limper. Due to this, I will raise to 80. I want ALL of my raises to be standard, as players that bet more with better hands and less with marginal hands are basically turning their cards face-up to an observant opponent.

I see a 3-way flop that brings an A.. a definite scare card. Here is another reason why I don't want to make an abnormal raise. I now need to make a c-bet and with 2 opps, I need to bet 2/3 pot... not knowing whether I'm ahead or behind... BUT... due to the large preflop raise, this bet is over 1/3 of my remaining chips, which means that I'm pot-committed if I bet and can never fold... so I have to SHOVE the flop, which I really do NOT want to do unless I know I have the best hand, but have no choice and need to shove.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

P.S. Please let me know when you have passed the basics quiz.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jun 18, 2013, 10:23 PM
(#6)
Dear John, i just passed the basics quiz.

Old
Tue Jun 18, 2013, 11:04 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Brilliant Drazen!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jun 29, 2013, 02:29 PM
(#8)
3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet

- to put a lot pressure on opponents
- to bluff people off decent hands
- to protect against strong draw

the table i played was really tight, mostly when i get the position i didnt have a hand or when ever i raise everyone folds, the situation i post happens to me often on tournaments and on cash game, when im in blinds i get in trouble with some hands, i guess that there was a few mistakes too...

and i passed cash game quiz

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by DrazaFFT; Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 02:33 PM..

Old
Sat Jun 29, 2013, 03:30 PM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jun 29, 2013, 06:23 PM
(#10)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi DrazaFFT! I'll take a look at the hand in post #8.

Here you have K9 in the big blind. Checking your option and seeing if you can hit the flop for free is fine. If you happen to make a pair of kings, I wouldn't go too crazy, as your kicker is not good.
The flop comes J87, so you have no pair and only a gutshot straight draw. Why are you betting into two players? It's likely one of them has something, so all you're doing is inflating the pot with what is likely the worst hand. It becomes clear that you don't have the best hand when one villain calls, and the second raises. You can't call this raise and make a profit in the long run, because you have such a weak draw.
As played, you call the raise and you're still 3-handed on the turn. Here you lead out again. This is a big mistake. The standard line is to check to the last raiser so you see if you get a good price to call. Leading out with a bet gives him the opportunity to raise again, which is the last thing you want! You still don't have a made hand, and both villains clearly do, because they put a lot of money in on the flop. It's clear that you're semi-bluffing, with what is now an open-ended straight draw, but semi-bluffs are only worth making when villains might fold. Here, they aren't folding. The pot is now huge and you've put in a lot of your stack, but you're only going to make a straight on the river about 16% of the time.
As luck would have it, you spike the perfect river card. The 5h doesn't complete a flush draw, and it gives you a straight to 9. Now you can finally bet for value instead of bluffing. One villain calls and his hand isn't shown, but I expect he had a jack and couldn't let it go even though the board is very scary for one pair.

You got a good result here, but I think you can still learn a good lesson here, and that's not to keep bluffing when you have a weak draw and villains aren't folding. Bluffs are only profitable if a villain folds. If you only have a gutshot on the flop, the best play is usually to check-fold. Betting into 2 players without a very strong made hand is never a good idea.

Hope this helps!
To get more tuition on cash game basics, I recommend going to live training sessions for the Wednesday and Saturday Games if you can. You'll even be able to play alongside other PSO members in the Homegame club and get instant feedback on the way you play your hands. Good luck!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 06:27 PM..

Old
Sun Jun 30, 2013, 08:55 AM
(#11)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrazaFFT View Post
and i passed cash game quiz
Hello,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 21, 2013, 01:37 PM
(#12)
Dear PSO team, i know that i still didn't finished my last task but i would be really happy if someone analyse this hand for me, because i often get into similar situation...

I realized that i made mistake in that hand and i just want some tips, were i supposed to push harder on flop with continuation bet, should i just check or what... i hope that i dont want to much...

thanks in advance

Drazen

Old
Sun Jul 21, 2013, 02:42 PM
(#13)
Hi again Drazen!

Pre-flop is all fine and standard. Surprisingly, your isolation raise to 6bb still gets 2 calls. Since the bet was large, the villains are likely to either be very loose calling stations that don't care about pot odds, or they have strong hands, but the latter seems unlikely, seeing as they limped pre-flop.
The J52 flop is very dry. It's one on which I would nearly always make a continuation bet, because it doesn't connect with many hands. You can bet something like 55% of pot and expect both villains to fold, unless they made top pair, as this board has no good draws. There are a couple of gutshots (A4, A3) but no flush draw. I wrote a 3-part series on continuation betting (the first part is here) which you might find helpful.
Betting less than half pot isn't recommended as villains are more likely to call with a weak pair or a draw. You still have two overcards if you get called, but the main reason to bet the flop is to collect the dead money that's already in the middle.
Unfortunately, one villain calls your c-bet. I would generally give him credit for Jx, or even a set of 5s or 2s, as players often limp-call with small pairs pre-flop and then slowplay them when they hit. Since the villain is likely to be loose-passive, it's not a good idea to keep bluffing. Occasionally your ace high is best, but I would generally just give up and plan to check-fold the turn after being called on this flop. If you decided to barrel the turn, then your bet-size is wrong. Villain only has 43c left in his stack, which is less than the size of the pot. As I said, I'd usually check-fold, but putting villain all in on the turn is also an option. If he's on a draw, you want to get all his money before the river comes, because he won't pay you off if the draw misses. The river 3 looks like a total blank. Because villain bets so small, I think you have to call with your "nut air" (the best unpaired hand) because the pot lays such a great price. It's pretty shocking to see villain actually made a straight with A4. He should never have called your pre-flop raise with a trash hand like that, let alone called two streets with just a gutshot. Since this player is clearly a calling station, I would cut right down on my bluffs against him. It's better to wait until you make a hand, and then valuebet him to death, because he'll call with much worse.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Sun Jul 21, 2013 at 02:45 PM..

Old
Sun Jul 28, 2013, 09:18 AM
(#14)
Dear Arty thanks for the effort you have made to help me to improve my game by sadly i lost my whole bankroll without managing to make 10vpp i was struggling to break even for a few days and yesterday i lost concentration and lost it with few bad decisions where i almost knew that i was behind even before the showdown...
Thanks to the PSO team to all the help and knowledge i get here, here are the loosing hands...

Old
Sun Jul 28, 2013, 06:16 PM
(#15)
Hi again DrazaFFT! I'll run you through these 3 hands and then a moderator will tell you how to proceed.

1. Open-shoving with AQ is a terrible play. It would be OK if you had less than 10bb, but here you have more than 40! The problem with this play is that while you'll often win the pot, because no one can call such a big bet unless they have a monster, on the rare occasions that you do get called, you're in bad shape. Look at it this way: You're betting 87c to win 3c. You'll either win 3c, or lose 87c. How can that be a profitable wager? You got totally "value-owned" here, because no worse hands are ever calling (so you get no value from worse). You only get action from better hands. Villain snaps with KK and wins your whole stack. Don't open-jam ANY hand, even AA. You should make bets that can be called by worse. You could also make a standard raise, and then fold if you get re-raised, because a villain with KK would 3-bet and you'd know you were losing, so you'd only lose 6c.

2. With AT in the small blind, I'd usually fold pre-flop. This hand doesn't play well out of position (OOP) in raised pots. As played, the flop comes K98 and there is a bet and a call. You should be check-folding here. You only have ace high! You call and make a pair of 10s on the turn, and it gets checked though, so you might be good, as I would expect Kx to bet again. The river is a blank, so betting half pot for value is fine, but then a villain shoves all in. You need to re-evaluate here. You have second pair on a connected board and a villain has put his whole stack in the middle. While he could have total air sometimes, big bets usually indicate big hands. Second pair is not a big hand, so you should fold. Villain actually had the nuts and made a weird slowplay. I don't like his play, but I'm never calling his shove. Your hand just isn't strong enough. Make the fold and save your chips for when you KNOW you have the best hand.

3. You raise JJ in EP, which is fine, and you get 2 callers. The flop comes K65 and you make a standard c-bet. This is fine. But then villain raises. Why are you calling now? Villain is telling you he has a strong hand. He has at least top pair, if not a set of trips. You have middle pair and only have two outs to improve. You simply have to fold. Give your opponents some credit. If they are betting and raising on a Kxx flop, it's because they have at least a king. Calling the raise is bad, but then calling off the rest of your stack on the next two streets is worse. Villain is never firing three barrels with worse than a pair of jacks.

I think the main thing to learn from these hands is that you need to learn some discipline. You've got to be able to fold one pair hands, because one pair (especially when it's not top pair) is almost never good at showdown. Give more credit to your opponents. If they make big bets and raises, they can beat top pair, so you should be able to fold.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 28, 2013, 11:44 PM
(#16)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hello DrazaFFT,

Your third Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

There are three ways in which you can earn your last bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 3rd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 4th bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 3rd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 15, 2013, 02:54 PM
(#17)
Dear PSO team, it happened again, i lost the bankroll i received again, and again i made same mistakes as i always do, overplaying everything...

Old
Thu Aug 15, 2013, 06:19 PM
(#18)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 15, 2013, 08:41 PM
(#19)
Hi again Draza! I'll analyse the hand in post #17.

Pre-flop is fine. You're out of position in the blinds, so a healthy raise with AK should get you heads up and give you the initiative. The button calls and the flop comes Q95. Making a continuation bet is standard here, as villain will fold some hands that are currently ahead (small pairs) and you have some equity with two overcards. When villain raises, it's time to re-evaluate. He only minraised, so you have a reasonable price to call, but you don't have many clean outs, because villain might already have top pair with something like KQ, or he could be on a straight draw with JT, meaning hitting a king would be a disaster for you, or he might be on a flush draw, meaning the and are not outs for you. Other hands like Q9, 99 and 55 are way ahead. I would generally just give villain credit for a strong made hand, and lay down your AK. Shoving all in is a terrible play. When villains raise the flop, they aren't doing it with total air very often, and will usually continue. Villain snap-calls with a set here and you're virtually drawing dead.
If you want to make money in poker, you've got to learn to fold when it's clear you're not ahead. On a flop like this, be aware that AK is just ace high. Don't put all your chips in with ace high, because it's not a profitable play.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 16, 2013, 06:09 AM
(#20)
(Community Coordinator)
Congratulations!

We have awarded you with all your Bankroll Builder buy-ins and you have successfully completed the promotion, good job!

You are always welcome to post any troublesome hands in the >>Hand Analysis<< section.

Also it is a good idea to review some of the content on >>Bankroll Management<< at this point.

Keep in touch with us and let us know how your poker journey continues.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com