Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Thirteen Days - Ed's Poker and Personal Diary

Old
Thirteen Days - Ed's Poker and Personal Diary - Tue Jun 18, 2013, 03:57 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
June is busting out all over.

I am about to start my last major grind until the autumn. Summer holidays and Edinburgh Festival in July/August will limit my time at the felt. I have a new shares/staking run about to kick off and there will be other stuff too.

I won't exactly be tied to the tables but will never be far away - so decided to document the rest of the month here, in a diary of poker and any other odd stuff that comes to mind - like whatever I am watching/listening/reading/eating/drinking/thinking.

Have already been out to the supermarket, had a sit down breakfast at my local 'greasy spoon'. Kettle is on and I am all ready to go. It isn't quite 9am here in Edinburgh, and already I am feeling lucky.

Ed

Old
Tue Jun 18, 2013, 11:42 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
What's a 'greasy spoon'?

Old
Wed Jun 19, 2013, 02:35 AM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerguyAA View Post
What's a 'greasy spoon'?
A 'greasy spoon' is a cafe that serves your basic fry-ups, bacon rolls, chips, omelettes -that kind of thing - plus mugs of tea/coffee etc - what we would call 'builders tea'. I suppose it is just UK slang. Usually original local independent cafes - have been around since before the big cafe chains existed.

It may sound a little derogatory but I think it is a fairly affectionate term.

My breakfast yesterday consisted of

Fried Egg
Bacon
Link Sausage x 2
Square Sausage
Haggis
Baked Beans
Fried Tomato
Morning Roll

1 Large Mug Tea

Courtesy of SNAX Cafe - Buccleuch Street

Ed

Old
Wed Jun 19, 2013, 02:43 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2012
That sounds ****ing (auto-filter do your job) amazing.

I've not allowed myself food like that in almost two months and so sorely tempted.

Old
Wed Jun 19, 2013, 02:49 AM
(#5)
Played quite a bit of poker on Day 1. All MTTs.

Entered 8 tournaments for my Shares and Staking offer, 7 Freerolls and 1 $1.10 buy-in - and a couple of astronomer freerolls, spread out over the day from 9am start to 9:05pm start. In over 500 hands I did not get dealt pocket aces or kings - but had Jacks several times and AK quite a lot, with mixed results.

The one cash buy-in game - a $1.10 Premier Qualifier League game - was particularly card dead over the 45 hands I lasted. Top pair I held was 77, with 22/33 the only other pocket pairs. Biggest ace I had was A9s. Didn't cash.

Two Bronzestar 10FPP & 20FPP tourneys brought me two min-cashes of $0.50 each, so I was down net $0.10 on the day.

More to follow.

Some stats.

My tracker shows very nitty stats of 9.58 VPIP 7.49 PFR

I would expect usually to be fairly tight tight and raising most hands I enter, but this seems a bit low overall. Partly that will be due to being card dead at active tables. The different tournaments play differently as well. Premier League games tend to be very nitty with the Freerolls obviously much more active and maniacal.

Will see how things go for Day 2

Ed

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Wed Jun 19, 2013 at 04:01 AM..

Old
Wed Jun 19, 2013, 03:09 AM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoylegend View Post

I've not allowed myself food like that in almost two months and so sorely tempted.
Same here - been at least three months since I had a blow-out breakfast. This is the top of the menu range - known as 'The Biggest Breakfast' - from a 3 option range of All-Day/Bigger/Biggest - or you can choose your own items. Good friendly cafe as well - I know the owner and most of the staff.

Rest of the day was mostly fruit and veg so I got my 5 a day

Ed

Old
Wed Jun 19, 2013, 11:12 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinFreeMan View Post
A 'greasy spoon' is a cafe that serves your basic fry-ups, bacon rolls, chips, omelettes -that kind of thing - plus mugs of tea/coffee etc - what we would call 'builders tea'. I suppose it is just UK slang. Usually original local independent cafes - have been around since before the big cafe chains existed.

It may sound a little derogatory but I think it is a fairly affectionate term.

My breakfast yesterday consisted of

Fried Egg
Bacon
Link Sausage x 2
Square Sausage
Haggis
Baked Beans
Fried Tomato
Morning Roll

1 Large Mug Tea

Courtesy of SNAX Cafe - Buccleuch Street

Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoylegend View Post

That does sound amazing! Here in the US something like that doesn't really exist. Good to know, now I know where to go and eat if I ever visit the UK one day.

Old
Wed Jun 19, 2013, 12:58 PM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2011
Wot no deep-fried Mars bars?

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jun 19, 2013, 01:51 PM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
Wot no deep-fried Mars bars?
Well of course not Arty - that is not a breakfast repast - that is an evening meal.

Ed

Old
Wed Jun 19, 2013, 02:00 PM
(#10)
For various reasons have played no poker since early morning. 7pm here and I have new blisters - just checking if they will limit my poker clicking fingers. Seems OK. Will resume tomorrow.

Ed

Old
Thu Jun 20, 2013, 05:31 AM
(#11)
Quote:
For various reasons have played no poker since early morning. 7pm here and I have new blisters - just checking if they will limit my poker clicking fingers. Seems OK. Will resume tomorrow.

Ed
Day 2 of the grind was a short lived affair - the 7am Premier League game and the 9am Privilege Freeroll - all done by 9:30am. With a midday server restart and a call from a friend to help with some 'gardening' that was me for the day.

Expecting a little light weeding I found my mate actually wanted me to move about two tonnes of earth from a pile they had dug out - so three hours back-breaking work with a shovel. Haven't done any such physical labour for about ten years. Finished early afternoon, then they bought us a late lunch and a few beers - so no chance of any further poker on Wednesday. The pub lunch was very good. My first ever Buffalo Burger. I was not intending this thread to be a meat eaters diary, but have to mention more dietary habits here. Buffalos are now apparently farmed in Fife, north of the Firth of Forth river estuary which divides Edinburgh from that Kingdom. They are water buffalo, not the big hairy kind that roamed the plains of the USA, but originating from Asia. The meat certainly makes a good burger.

After an afternoon siesta went back to the bar to meet some other friends and half-watched Brazil v Mexico in the Confederations Cup. No idea what that tournament is all about but with a dearth of football (soccer) good to see a quality footie game in the summer. There is also the current Lions tour to keep my armchair sporting interest and I am looking forward to spending next week at the online poker felt with week one of Wimbledon on in the background.

Out for lunch again today with my friend V who is a vegetarian - so I will probably eat no meat today. Usually go to one of the local Indian restaurants as they do great meals at good prices and have a lot of vegetarian options.

Back later.

Ed

Old
Fri Jun 21, 2013, 12:44 PM
(#12)
Day 3 Thursday was poker free. Still tired from my Wednesday labours, went out for lunch with my friend - had a veggie curry - very tasty. Then bumped into some other friends in the afternoon and went to a local hostelry for a good natter and a couple of jars. Ended up giving some tourists that we met an impromptu guided tour of Edinburgh - taking a circular walk down the Bridges/Chambers St/George IV Bridge/The Mound/Princes St/Lothian Road/Kings Stables Road/Grassmarket/Victoria St/George IV Bridge(again)/Bristo Square/George Square and home for early night

Playing several MTTs today, Friday - with two running now so better hit the tables.

Ed

Old
Sat Jun 22, 2013, 06:49 AM
(#13)
Friday's games were reasonable, but just a couple of min-cashes from the Freerolls to add $0.51 to the pot. Had a quiet day in apart from too many phone calls.

Played a 9am game Saturday morning and looked at the progress, or lack of it, so far. Have only played 3 of the 20 $1.10 MTTs in the Qualiifier League in the first four days, but am free over the weekend and should get a good number done. In fact planning to play every game I can start over Saturday / Sunday. Started with the 9am Privilege Freeroll but no luck. Next up will the 2 Premier League and Qualifier League games then WR2 and Privilege Freeroll at 3pm. Plenty more after that.

Trying to avoid the Lions first test score so I can watch it later.

Ed

Old
Wed Jun 26, 2013, 12:58 PM
(#14)
The weekend was really fun poker, and a couple of days later I am feeling confident I will complete the challenge I set myself by the end of the month.

There was a really good thread in the forums about why you would get involved in shares and staking offers, either offering shares in your own games or buying shares in others. It is something I thought about a lot before getting involved and even more since. I haven't contributed to that thread - but I expect to write on the subject from my own point of view at some point.

I am ahead of schedule overall on the 50+MTTs I am playing before month end. I will need to keep up a steady pace - I am playing two $1.10 MTTs and as many selected freerolls as I can. It means a lot of time at the tables as I am not multi-tabling more than 2 or 3 at a time - so I reckon it is 5-8 hours a day at the tables - that in itself is a good test.

Still feel that I am not running great, though it is better than it was. I will be interested to look back at the full run after the month end and see if I really was as card dead as I feel I am, and won 40% when I was due 60% - and got all my big starting hands or huge flopped hands in situations where it got me no value.

Highlights are that I made the final table for 6th place twice in the Qualifier League games. Really need a top three spot in one to make a good profit. Also final tabled some of the play money PSOSOP games, which were good games and I wish I could have played more to compete on the leaderboard.

Mainly been listening to the radio - and watched two films that I wanted to see for different reasons.

So I eventually watched Apocalypto - someone gave the DVD 2 or 3 years ago and I didn't fancy it but watched it and was surprised how much it kept my attention - a good watch for one time but now it can go to the charity shop.

Also watched Bonfire of the Vanities - the film got panned apparently but I remember reading the big book by Tom Wolfe back when I was a 'master of the universe' in City of London in the eighties and it certainly struck a chord. The film was flawed, but again I would say I enjoyed it more than I expected to - probably a bit of nostalgia in there.

Best media I have experienced is the BBC4Extra crime series 'Paul Temple' over the BBCiPlayer - great stuff from the 1950's radio.

Gonna play some games now.

Ed

Old
Wed Jun 26, 2013, 02:16 PM
(#15)
Since: Oct 2011
I watched 'Bonfire of the Vanities' a while ago. I never got round to reading the book, which I'm sure is brilliant, but I thought the film was terrible.

It's good to see you're getting great results in the PLQs and PSOSOP. I hope the rungood continues!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jun 26, 2013, 04:09 PM
(#16)
BronzeStar
I must say I like this blog quite a bit. Good mix of content.

Old
Wed Jun 26, 2013, 04:47 PM
(#17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerguyAA View Post
I must say I like this blog quite a bit. Good mix of content.
Cheers Rockerguy

Thought it would help my perspective (spending several hours a day at the online felt) to put some random thoughts here - but I haven't paid much attention to it.

When not at the poker tables I have been mainly rearranging furniture and sorting books - some of which went to the local second hand dealer and earned me thirty quid - others to the charity shop. Trying to declutter.

Reckon I have also saved a few quid by staying in and playing poker - no beers except a few bottles on Sunday night - and will be living virtually for free in July/August, and doing my 'flaneur' impression. There will be NO poker blog then - but possibly more of this this random stuff.

Ed

Old
Wed Jun 26, 2013, 06:04 PM
(#18)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
doing my 'flaneur' impression
I don't even know what that means ... but I am intrigued!

This blog's a lot of fun Ed - hope u have a nice summer break!!

Old
Sat Jun 29, 2013, 02:49 AM
(#19)
Early start to the weekend grind for the last two days of this run.

Playing the 7am WET Premier League game, the 16th one I have played this month and with a net score of minus 5 points I am languishing in 948th place - not good enough to requalify and way off the money spots for the top 500.
I will be able to play maybe 5 or 6 this weekend, but will need some stellar results to get anything from this league.

I had my third cash in the Qualifier League with another final table finish in 8th place. In the first twenty of these I played I cashed 3 times (so ITM 15%) but never far past the bubble. I have played another fifteen with five to go over the weekend, and cashed 3 times so far - all final tables - 6th, 6th and 8th. I will still need to cash over the weekend to break even on just these games for the second run of twenty - but at least there has been some improvement. I have also moved up to 266th in the Qualifier League standings, which at least gives me a small chance to requalify through this route if I can run good in one or two of the last five games and avoid losing points. Another final table would be good - though I want a top three spot to really make a profit from this second set of twenty.

I will be freerolling all the games I can as well - 10/20FPP games, Privilege Freerolls and today's WR2. I have cashed ten times so far from 34 played, with the highest payout being $0.94 from a Privilege Freeroll and a total of $3.64. Any extra cash from these games over the weekend will be welcome, but it would be great to get a super deep run in one.

I shall be at the tables a lot but will take some short walks round the meadows between games - the weather is settled but not particularly warm at the moment - 16 celcius max over the weekend forecast.

As well as some music radio and cds I have to catch up with the BBC Radio dramatisations of 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' which are being rebroadcast on the digital station BBC Radio 4Extra. Starring Clive Merrison as Holmes and Michael Williams as Watson. Merrison is the only actor to have played Holmes in adaptations of everything Conan Doyle ever wrote about the character ( 56 short stories and 4 novels). Of course Conan Doyle is strongly associated with Edinburgh where he was born and studied medicine. We have a pub named after him - and a statue of Sherlock Holmes in cape and deerstalker as so often portrayed stands on Picardy Place - (usually with a traffic cone on its head).

Have a good weekend everyone.

Ed

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 02:52 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com