Since: May 2013
Another bad defeat

Should i folded?

Old
Tue Jun 18, 2013, 10:25 AM
(#2)
Since: May 2011
Hi Optimus
First off, ALWAYS play with a full stack. Sitting there with 68c gives you terrible implied odds when you hit something. It's simply a losing strategy to not play with a full stack unless you REALLY know what you're doing.
I would definitely raise more pre for value and initiative as well as to punish the limpers. One rule of thumb is your standard open raise plus one big blind per limper. You can adjust that depending on the villains. Here, 10c-12c would be good.

I would raise the flop to get value from draws. There are a bunch of turn cards that could really make your life miserable. Any diamond, any J, any 9 would complete draws your opponents may have. I'd raise the pot here because you're in a multiway pot and it's very likely you will get called by draws. It will also make it extremely easy to shove the turn.

The turn is a complete brick unless someone holds 66. You check behind here which I don't like. What you're doing is giving your opponents infinite odds to hit their draws. As played, I would bet pot here, but you should be all in already.

The turn is another brick and V5 bets out. You raise and leave 8c behind for some reason and that would be leaving value on the table in case he has a pair or slowplayed overcards. Go all in instead. Unfortunately he had you coolered but there's not much you can do about that.

Good luck on the felts!

Old
Tue Jun 18, 2013, 12:23 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Optimus!

Pre-flop, you have a strong hand in good position facing two limps. A raise is appropriate, and a standard size is 3bb + 1bb per limper, so I'd go with 5bb (10c) here, to get value from worse hands and to gain the initiative. Sometimes you'll take the pot down pre-flop, which is a nice result, as there is 7c of dead money on the table.
As played, you make it 6c and get 2 calls. The flop comes QQT, so you made trips. One villain minbets, the second calls and you also call. I really don't like slowplaying, as it misses value and can lead to tricky decisions on later streets. You usually have the best hand, so should try and get some value for it. Hands like J9 and KJ have open-ended straight draws. If villains have straight draws, or hands like Tx or worse trips, you can get value from them. Raise it up by betting about 75% of pot.
As played, you just call, so 3 players see the turn, which is a blank 6h. Both villains check to you, and I definitely think betting is correct. You have 60c in your stack and the pot is 27c. If you want to double up, you need to bet now so that you can go all in on the river without making an overbet. Checking behind is "fancy play syndrome". You're giving villains a free card to suck out. If they have draws, they won't give you any money on the river if the draw doesn't complete, so get your value NOW, by betting between half pot and full pot.
As played, you check, so everyone gets a free card. The 2s is about as blank as it can get. No draws completed and this card only improves pocket deuces to a boat. On this card, villain 5 leads out for a pot-sized bet. This seems weird. Why has he been minbetting or checking on early streets, but now comes alive when a blank hits the river? I would be quite worried that he does indeed have 22 and just hit a 2-outer because you allowed him to do so for free. Nevertheless, you have a short stack and the pot is quite big now, so going all in for value is right. Villain might also think a hand like AT is good, because of your slowplay. You get it in and villain flips over QT for a flopped full house, so you lose your stack.

This hand is basically a cooler. You were doomed to go broke here. What's noteworthy though, is that with you and villain both slowplaying, a lot of value could have been left on the table. When you have a big hand, you should be trying to find the best way to get all your money in the middle. You don't achieve that by betting small or checking. You do it by betting early and often.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jun 18, 2013, 12:41 PM
(#4)
Since: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
Hi Optimus!

Pre-flop, you have a strong hand in good position facing two limps. A raise is appropriate, and a standard size is 3bb + 1bb per limper, so I'd go with 5bb (10c) here, to get value from worse hands and to gain the initiative. Sometimes you'll take the pot down pre-flop, which is a nice result, as there is 7c of dead money on the table.
As played, you make it 6c and get 2 calls. The flop comes QQT, so you made trips. One villain minbets, the second calls and you also call. I really don't like slowplaying, as it misses value and can lead to tricky decisions on later streets. You usually have the best hand, so should try and get some value for it. Hands like J9 and KJ have open-ended straight draws. If villains have straight draws, or hands like Tx or worse trips, you can get value from them. Raise it up by betting about 75% of pot.
As played, you just call, so 3 players see the turn, which is a blank 6h. Both villains check to you, and I definitely think betting is correct. You have 60c in your stack and the pot is 27c. If you want to double up, you need to bet now so that you can go all in on the river without making an overbet. Checking behind is "fancy play syndrome". You're giving villains a free card to suck out. If they have draws, they won't give you any money on the river if the draw doesn't complete, so get your value NOW, by betting between half pot and full pot.
As played, you check, so everyone gets a free card. The 2s is about as blank as it can get. No draws completed and this card only improves pocket deuces to a boat. On this card, villain 5 leads out for a pot-sized bet. This seems weird. Why has he been minbetting or checking on early streets, but now comes alive when a blank hits the river? I would be quite worried that he does indeed have 22 and just hit a 2-outer because you allowed him to do so for free. Nevertheless, you have a short stack and the pot is quite big now, so going all in for value is right. Villain might also think a hand like AT is good, because of your slowplay. You get it in and villain flips over QT for a flopped full house, so you lose your stack.

This hand is basically a cooler. You were doomed to go broke here. What's noteworthy though, is that with you and villain both slowplaying, a lot of value could have been left on the table. When you have a big hand, you should be trying to find the best way to get all your money in the middle. You don't achieve that by betting small or checking. You do it by betting early and often.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Villain 5 already made a full house QQQTT from the flop. He's slow playing us.
Even i went all-in earlier, still no chance.
Thank you so much for the analysis.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com