Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL $0.01/$0.02 Cash Game 9d9s

Old
2NL $0.01/$0.02 Cash Game 9d9s - Tue Jun 18, 2013, 07:28 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2013

We had a good showdown but i was bit of confused here.
Please explain further?

Old
Tue Jun 18, 2013, 07:34 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2011
He had 7777A you had 77779, his A out-kicked you.

VUL, massive favourite until the river

Old
Tue Jun 18, 2013, 07:40 AM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalman View Post
He had 7777A you had 77779, his A out-kicked you.

VUL, massive favourite until the river
I see..Thank you.

Old
Tue Jun 18, 2013, 11:56 AM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
BronzeStar
Man that is so utterly disgusting watching your hand get reduced to playing the board with 9 kicker due to a 1-outer on the river...

Old
Tue Jun 18, 2013, 12:51 PM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerguyAA View Post
Man that is so utterly disgusting watching your hand get reduced to playing the board with 9 kicker due to a 1-outer on the river...
Exactly!

Old
Tue Jun 18, 2013, 03:01 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
I had a very similar bad beat the other day, and it was the first time in over 200,000 hands that I've flopped a full house, but lost to a random ace when the board made quads. This situation is very rare indeed. However, the winner of this pot would not have been the player with AJ (and probably not Q9 either) if you'd taken a standard line.
Pre-flop, you have 99 in middle position. This hand is good enough to play in this position, and since it's good enough to play, it's good enough to raise. Limping in is a weak play that allows worse hands to get into the pot cheaply, and 99 does very badly in a multiway pot, as the flop will usually contain overcards that give someone a better pair. If you raise pre-flop, then Q9 probably doesn't see the flop, and if you make a continuation bet on the flop, AJ probably doesn't call.
In effect, you slowplayed yourself to death. When you flop a monster like this, you should bet it for value, because worse hands and draws will call.
As played, you limp-call pre-flop and check to the raiser. This is fine, given the pre-flop action (checking to the pre-flop raiser is standard), but when he raises it up to 20c, you should look at the size of the pot and your remaining stack and realise that calling is out of the question. You should be check-raising all in for maximum value. Your hand is close to the nuts (only 77 beats you), and villains will pay you off with worse. AJ is never calling if you re-raise the flop. Q9 might stack off, but you're thrashing that hand, as it needs running cards that will only come about 1 time in a thousand.
I can't emphasise this often enough: Do not slowplay your big hands. If you slowplay and someone out-draws you, it's pretty much your own fault. If villains are drawing, don't let them do it cheaply/freely. Charge them the most they will pay. That is how you get value for your hands.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jun 18, 2013, 04:29 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
I had a very similar bad beat the other day, and it was the first time in over 200,000 hands that I've flopped a full house, but lost to a random ace when the board made quads. This situation is very rare indeed. However, the winner of this pot would not have been the player with AJ (and probably not Q9 either) if you'd taken a standard line.
Pre-flop, you have 99 in middle position. This hand is good enough to play in this position, and since it's good enough to play, it's good enough to raise. Limping in is a weak play that allows worse hands to get into the pot cheaply, and 99 does very badly in a multiway pot, as the flop will usually contain overcards that give someone a better pair. If you raise pre-flop, then Q9 probably doesn't see the flop, and if you make a continuation bet on the flop, AJ probably doesn't call.
In effect, you slowplayed yourself to death. When you flop a monster like this, you should bet it for value, because worse hands and draws will call.
As played, you limp-call pre-flop and check to the raiser. This is fine, given the pre-flop action (checking to the pre-flop raiser is standard), but when he raises it up to 20c, you should look at the size of the pot and your remaining stack and realise that calling is out of the question. You should be check-raising all in for maximum value. Your hand is close to the nuts (only 77 beats you), and villains will pay you off with worse. AJ is never calling if you re-raise the flop. Q9 might stack off, but you're thrashing that hand, as it needs running cards that will only come about 1 time in a thousand.
I can't emphasise this often enough: Do not slowplay your big hands. If you slowplay and someone out-draws you, it's pretty much your own fault. If villains are drawing, don't let them do it cheaply/freely. Charge them the most they will pay. That is how you get value for your hands.
Yep, i committed suicide here!.
I've learned so much from my mistakes and from your clear analysis of the game.
Hope, i'll become more better coz who knows someday, a first Filipino would be on the WSOP live tournament..just kidding..just dreaming

Thanks a lot!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com