Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL $0.01/$0.02 Cash Game 3h3d

Old
2NL $0.01/$0.02 Cash Game 3h3d - Wed Jun 19, 2013, 03:09 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2013

With this hand in the MP3 position, i hit the flop three of a kind.
Villain 2 in the Big blind position bets 5xBB.
I worried a lot and almost out of time thinking what cards was he holding.
It came to my mind that maybe he had 88 or QQ. But still i strongly want to defend my cards in this situation..
So i raised 1 BB then he immediately re-raised all-in.
I had 2 decisions: to fold or to call.
Since i'm short of stack now, i decided to call.
With great luck, i won the showdown.

Was my action here totally insane coz if i followed rules of poker, i should have folded?
Poker rules vs decision making?

Last edited by optimus8778; Wed Jun 19, 2013 at 03:13 AM..

Old
Wed Jun 19, 2013, 11:17 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2012
BronzeStar
I dont think you made any mistake in the hand. Some players like to icelate with the 33, but its absolutely OK to limp behind. My general rule of thumb is to never fold a set with 100BB or less and you are always wright to stack off bottom set. Only 88 beats you in that pot,QQ are out of the villains range because he would raise that. But thats very unlikely because there are so many other hands the villain could hold. So you shouldn't even think about folding,
The only advise I can give you is to buy in for 100BB and use the rebuy function.

Last edited by biggiro64; Wed Jun 19, 2013 at 11:21 AM..

Old
Wed Jun 19, 2013, 12:37 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi Optimus!

This hand is pretty standard actually. With 33 in late position, it's fine to over-limp and go set-mining for the cheapest price possible. The plan is quite simple: if you flop a set of trips, you should bet and raise in order to get all in at the earliest opportunity. If you don't hit a set, then don't put another cent in the pot. "No set, no bet" is the general rule. For more on set-mining, see my article on the Rule of Call 20.
Here, you're fortunate that no one raises pre-flop, so you see the flop 3-handed and it comes Q83, so you spiked your set. This is a dry board. There is no flush draw, and the only straight draws are gutshots with hands like JT. The villain in the BB makes a pot-sized bet, but since he didn't raise pre-flop, he almost never has QQ or 88 here. Since it was a limped pot and villain is in the BB, he can have any two cards (ATC), so his bet here can be a random queen or a weird two pair hand like Q8 or 83. Raising for value is the right thing to do. I'd actually make the raise larger. It's fairly standard to raise to three times the size of the first bet, so when villain bets 10c, I'd make it 30c.
You make it 24c and villain shoves all in. I'm snap-calling here with a set, even bottom set. Villain flips over Q8 for top two, so he has a few outs, but your set holds up to drag the pot. Nice hand!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jun 20, 2013, 07:26 AM
(#4)
Since: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
Hi Optimus!

This hand is pretty standard actually. With 33 in late position, it's fine to over-limp and go set-mining for the cheapest price possible. The plan is quite simple: if you flop a set of trips, you should bet and raise in order to get all in at the earliest opportunity. If you don't hit a set, then don't put another cent in the pot. "No set, no bet" is the general rule. For more on set-mining, see my article on the Rule of Call 20.
Here, you're fortunate that no one raises pre-flop, so you see the flop 3-handed and it comes Q83, so you spiked your set. This is a dry board. There is no flush draw, and the only straight draws are gutshots with hands like JT. The villain in the BB makes a pot-sized bet, but since he didn't raise pre-flop, he almost never has QQ or 88 here. Since it was a limped pot and villain is in the BB, he can have any two cards (ATC), so his bet here can be a random queen or a weird two pair hand like Q8 or 83. Raising for value is the right thing to do. I'd actually make the raise larger. It's fairly standard to raise to three times the size of the first bet, so when villain bets 10c, I'd make it 30c.
You make it 24c and villain shoves all in. I'm snap-calling here with a set, even bottom set. Villain flips over Q8 for top two, so he has a few outs, but your set holds up to drag the pot. Nice hand!
Great!. Thank you for the analysis

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com