Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL $0.01/$0.02 Cash Game KK

Old
2NL $0.01/$0.02 Cash Game KK - Sat Jun 22, 2013, 02:37 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Hi,

Could you please analyze the hand below.

Wondering if the bet sizing is ok, and also whether I should have checked the turn.

Cheers,

pullin1988

Old
Sat Jun 22, 2013, 03:45 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
You played it decent, you can't really check turn because on the flop he doesn't call only with AQ A8 or Axss, but with a wide range which includes JT QK QJ QT and a random flush draw, so if you check you are giving him a free card to catch his draws.

Last edited by GamblingProp; Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 03:47 PM..

Old
Sat Jun 22, 2013, 11:55 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
I'd bet more on the flop (about 22c into 25c) for value, because this is a fairly wet board that connects pretty well with a limper's range. Since he limp-called pre-flop, villain is likely a calling station, so take him to Valuetown... until the horrible turn card.
The turn is a clear check behind. I'm not particularly worried that villain has an ace, but think about how this card affects villain. If if didn't improve his hand, then it scares him. If he has Qx or something like 99, he hates this card and will fold to a bet. Your fold equity shoots right up, but with KK you don't want worse hands like Qx to fold. Checking behind says "I don't have the ace", but that's fine, because villain will then think his Qx is good. He will lead the river and you can make a value-call. If he happens to have an ace after all, you lose the minimum.
To some extent charging draws is over-rated, at least when you have a marginal hand. Pot-controlling in position and getting to showdown with marginal hands is arguably more important. (KK on an ace-high board is a marginal hand with some showdown value. It's not a hand you want to put money in the pot with on all three streets). If the river happens to be a spade and villain bombs it, you can make an easy fold, and you'd lose the absolute minimum, if you'd checked the turn. (Money saved is as good as money won).

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com