View Poll Results: Call/Fold on the river
Call 3 75.00%
Fold 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old
2NL BB check-in with 53o - Sat Jun 22, 2013, 04:18 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2013
I'll give this guy's stats after, as this was an uncommon situation that I didn't pick up on at the time b/c I was multi-tabling (Not sure how many hands I had on him at the time, could have been an unknown). My question for now though is how would you play this hand against a typical 2nl limper, particularly on the river.

Old
Sat Jun 22, 2013, 11:31 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
Against an unknown, I fold the river, but I feel pretty sick about doing it, because the only hands that beat you that fit his limping range (other than AA, if he was going for the old limp reraise trick) are 55 and A3s, and you have blockers to both of those hands, which means he spiked a 1-outer at some point. He might also be going crazy with A5 or the even less likely 42s (both of which you beat).

The reason I fold against an unknown is because of a general "rule" for microstakes: "Overbet donks on the river are always the (near) nuts". While it's clearly not an infallible rule, because some opponents will make crazy moves with missed draws and random air, I quickly learned my lesson early on in my 2NL career. I called way too many overbets like this and ran into the nuts. River shoves and raises are rarely bluffs, so I tend to give them a lot of credit. Indeed, I have to have a specific note that says something like "Shoves river with missed draw" or "overbets as bluff" to contemplate calling.

This spot is particularly sickening, because you made such a strong hand. I just don't think it's the best hand in this spot often enough for calling to be +EV. If this villain is bad enough to limp with aces, or A3, then you'll find better spots to win his stack, when you can be sure you have him beat.

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Sat Jun 22, 2013 at 11:33 PM..

Old
Sun Jun 23, 2013, 12:28 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2013
I agree Arty, I actually ended up calling this, and when I reviewed this hand my thoughts were that it was a bad call, for the same reason. I'm starting to see that calling those crazy overbet shoves is one of my biggest leaks at these stakes. I usually don't call them extremely light, but I've landed in a bunch of 2nd best hand situations and have lost too many stacks. I'm not sure how much thought I put into this call, I guess my thought process was simply "I have a full house so I'm calling". But the 53 IS the worst possible full house on this board, and the villain is betting like he also has a full house. I'm not sure I've ever folded a full house before (maybe on a double paired board), so that's what I was wondering I guess, is if it would ever be the right decision to fold here, and how many actually would.

I don't think I noticed this at the time, but despite the limp, this villain is actually a complete nit. His preflop strategy is a little strange though. After 70+ hands, my numbers on him were VP:7/PFR:0 so it looks like he just never raises preflop and limps/calls with his whole range. Which makes sense here since he actually showed up with KK. If I had seen that, I could have put him on AA or KK pretty easily, though I might not have had enough hands on him to catch that at the time.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com