Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$2.50 90 man J4o open ended on flop

Old
$2.50 90 man J4o open ended on flop - Sat Jun 22, 2013, 06:21 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2010
My first time doing one of these. 19 players left so avg stack is about 7100. Wish i had stats to give. There was a previous hand where villian#8 shoved JJ pre. So we can probably take JJ+ and maybe AQ+ out of his limping range.

So...thoughts? Would love to hear what others think of this situation before I share my thoughts on it and what i did.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Old
Sun Jun 23, 2013, 12:40 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi AfredR,

I think a raise would be ok in this spot. Just 50% of pot if you think you have a decent shot taking it down.

I think also without wanted to erode your already short stack. I also think checking and hoping for a free card is good also. Your straight would be pretty disguised so you could still get value I think.

Kind of depends on your opponents. Bet vs tight players, check vs loose passive players

Hope it worked out
Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 23, 2013, 01:53 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2013
Even if you bet there not a lot of overcards will fold so you will have a hard decision on any turn besides the A and 6 (the J could hit your opponents range too), so I would check/fold

Old
Sun Jun 23, 2013, 10:59 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2010
Well...in game I decided to take a more...creative line:

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

So yeah, decided, perhaps quite foolishly, that a check/shove would:

1. look super strong. I thought, being in the big blind, having a set or the nut straight would be more credible.

2. If he called with two broadways my draw would still be live.

3. If he called with 77-TT my jack would be live (remember I'm taking JJ+ out of his range because I'm fairly confident he'd shove pre).

Definitely a higher variance play. And against the hand he had it's basically a coin flip. I wouldn't call it a bad play...but i wouldn't call it a good one either.

Andy, if I bet out like you suggested are we folding to a shove? A fold would still leave us with a big enough stack to still have fold equity against the stacks to our left I think. Also, would shoving on the flop be bad here? That might fold any boadways that are in his range...

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com