Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Where do I start

Old
Where do I start - Sun Jun 23, 2013, 08:38 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
I'm new to PSO and would like to take place in the bankroll builder promotion

Old
Sun Jun 23, 2013, 08:40 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrish76 View Post
I'm new to PSO and would like to take place in the bankroll builder promotion
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Please read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 23, 2013, 07:07 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2011
Hello skrish76,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
My first Hand replayer - Mon Jun 24, 2013, 04:54 PM
(#4)
Is this a good play for this hand?

Old
All 3 steps done! - Mon Jun 24, 2013, 04:56 PM
(#5)
All 3 steps done!

Old
Mon Jun 24, 2013, 06:55 PM
(#6)
Hi skrish76,

Thanks for posting the hand, we'll have the hand analysis done shortly. Then I'll give you your first bonus followed by your next steps

Old
Mon Jun 24, 2013, 07:19 PM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi skrish76! I'll take a look at the hand in post #4.

The answer to the question "Is this a good play for this hand?" requires a look at each decision you were faced with, so I'll take it step by step and tell you what the standard play would be.
You have K3s in late position, and there's a lot of action in front of you. There's a limp, a BIG raise to 13bb and a cold call. My play here would be to fold. K3s is not a great hand. Most of the time, the best you can hope for this hand is to hit top pair with the king, but then you have a useless kicker. You also can't make a straight using both cards. Occasionally you'll make a flush, but unless the board contains the Ah, it won't be the best possible flush, so you could lose a bunch of chips. Since this hand doesn't make money in the long run - and especially since someone made a big raise, indicating they have a big hand - folding pre-flop is the correct play.
As played, you call, and see a flop 4-handed. The two-tone AQ6 is a pretty good one for you. You didn't make a pair, but you have a flush draw, and since the board contains the Ah, you have 9 outs to the nuts. The pre-flop aggressor doesn't make a continuation bet, which is fortunate for you, as you can check and hope the button does likewise so you get a free card for your draw. That's what happens. On the turn you make the nut flush. The first two villains check, and now you can make a value bet. You obviously have the best hand, so now you want to make a bet that could be called by worse hands. Since it seems no one has an ace (unless the pre-flop raiser decided to slowplay a set of aces), you want to target hands like random queens, 6s and 8s that made a pair. There are also some flush draws that will call even though they are drawing dead. When making a bet on the flop or turn, you should always bet between half the pot and full pot, in order to get value and to make it a mistake for draws to call. We make money from our opponents mistakes, and the bigger those mistakes are the better! 100 into a 545 pot is too small. I'd bet about 300 at least. The original raiser calls and you see a 9 on the river. This is a good card for you, because it didn't pair the board (meaning someone could have a full house) and also because it connected with the other cards, so villain could have rivered a straight. You have the nuts here, so should bet as much as you think villain will call. With a pot of 745, you want to bet around 500. Flushes come around so rarely that you need to get maximum value when you hit them. Betting 100 is way too small. It misses so much value. The small bet might mean that villain calls with a weak hand, but he'd surely call a bigger bet with hands like two pairs or a straight. When you make a big hand like a straight or flush, make a BIG bet, so you get paid.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thanks - Tue Jun 25, 2013, 03:43 AM
(#8)
Thanks for your review. much appreciated. I was just 'gambling' and hoping for a nut flush with K3. But I agree I should bet big but was thinking there won't be any action as the big raiser was raising for rubbish hands. But I get your logic

Old
Tue Jun 25, 2013, 12:13 PM
(#9)
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
Puzzling hand in NL holdem full ring game - Wed Jun 26, 2013, 05:21 PM
(#10)

Not sure if I should have folded? Do you think if I should have bet?

Old
Answer to the question - Wed Jun 26, 2013, 05:41 PM
(#11)
We make big bets to

To get maximum value when we have strong hand
To bluff people when there is draw possibilities
To put a lot of pressure on opponents

Old
Question on Bet Size - Wed Jun 26, 2013, 05:54 PM
(#12)
What is the correct way to handle when you have nut straight and you bet all the way and the river opens up flush possibilities? Assume one or 2 other players called you all the way!

Old
Thu Jun 27, 2013, 07:44 AM
(#13)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Not sure if I should have folded? Do you think if I should have bet?
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jun 27, 2013, 12:42 PM
(#14)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi skrish76! I'll take a look at the hand in post #10.

You have ATs on the button, and this would be a great hand to raise with if the action is folded to you, but here there is a limp and then a 5x raise. The villain in the cutoff is likely to have a big hand, such as a decent pocket pair, or a better ace. I'd sometimes call here, because it's likely the limper will also call, meaning the pot is multiway and you could win a big pot with a straight or the nut flush, but folding is also a good option. Even in position, ATs can be a trouble hand, because most of the time the best you can hope for on the flop is one pair, when you'd rather have a draw to the nuts. As played, you call, and the limper also calls. The flop comes a dry 852. All you have here is two overcards. The pre-flop raiser makes a continuation bet, but it's quite small. I don't like calling though. Villain could be trying to sucker you in by betting small with a big overpair, but even if he has ace high, it's likely to be a better ace than yours. Since you have no pair and no draw, the best play is to fold. As played, you call and the turn is a blank 2. Villain bets, so it seems he has an overpair after all. You folded here, which is good, but it's just one street too late. Don't make a habit of calling flop bets if you completely missed the board. Play with discipline. If you have no pair or draw, get out of the way before the price gets expensive.
Quote:
What is the correct way to handle when you have nut straight and you bet all the way and the river opens up flush possibilities? Assume one or 2 other players called you all the way!
In a multiway pot, it's quite likely that someone had a flush draw on the flop if they called for two streets. If the river is a scary card, then there's a simple play to make and it's the "bet-fold" play, which means you can bet for value (about one third to half of the pot on the river) but fold if you get raised, because villains will almost never raise the river with a worse hand. If they are repping a flush, they usually have the flush. It's unfortunate when villains suck out, but if you charge them a high price for chasing draws on the flop and turn, then you'll make money in the long run by betting small on the river, and not paying them off when they raise.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 07:19 AM
(#15)
Hi skrish76,

I wanted to award you your 2nd bonus, but unfortunately your Cash Quiz pass isn't showing on our system here. It's possible, but unlikely, that it's a technical issue, so please take the quiz again and let me know when you have the pass.

flophitter

Old
Cash Game Course Quiz - Fri Jun 28, 2013, 12:37 PM
(#16)
I have passed the Cash game quiz now.

Thanks

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 05:55 PM
(#17)
Hello skrish76,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

flophitter

Old
Next - Wed Jul 03, 2013, 05:20 PM
(#18)
Am I allowed to play in higher level Holdem tables or tournaments to continue to be in a position to get the promotion bonus

Old
Thu Jul 04, 2013, 07:07 AM
(#19)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Am I allowed to play in higher level Holdem tables or tournaments to continue to be in a position to get the promotion bonus
Hello,

No, please stay on the $0.01/$0.02 full ring tables until you get all of your Bankroll Builder bonuses. Playing other tables than this may make you ineligible for further bonuses.

Cheers,

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
3rd Bonus - Thu Jul 04, 2013, 05:59 PM
(#20)
I believe I now have at least 10 VPP points.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com