Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Sun Jun 23, 2013, 10:27 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
I'm new to PokerStars and I would really like to take part in the Bankroll Builder promotion!

Old
Sun Jun 23, 2013, 10:43 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Be sure to read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 23, 2013, 05:40 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2011
Hello rockclear,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
Mon Jun 24, 2013, 06:11 PM
(#4)

Did I play this hand well? Was 9-10 a good hand to play in my position?

Last edited by rockclear; Tue Jun 25, 2013 at 12:21 PM..

Old
Tue Jun 25, 2013, 10:52 AM
(#5)
I have completed all three steps.

Old
Thu Jun 27, 2013, 06:08 PM
(#6)
I haven't heard from anyone in 3 days... What is going on??

Old
Thu Jun 27, 2013, 08:17 PM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockclear View Post
Did I play this hand well? Was 9-10 a good hand to play in my position?
Sorry about the delay

Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jun 27, 2013, 09:30 PM
(#8)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi rockclear! I'll take a look at the hand in post #4.

T9s is a nice speculative hand, but it doesn't play well in early position or the blinds, as you'll usually be acting first post-flop. In this early position, I would just fold. If I had a hand good enough to play in this seat (something like AQ+, 99+, KQs) then I would open for a standard raise of 3bb, which would be 6 chips on this table. A minraise to 4 doesn't get enough value when you have the best hand, and gives villains a fairly cheap price to call. For more info on how to choose which hands to play in each position, see my blog.
As played, you minraise, but you're only called by the blinds, so you're actually in position this time. The flop comes J96, so you made middle pair. Both villains check, which is standard, since they expect you to make a continuation bet whether you hit the flop or not. For some reason you make an overbet of double the pot. This is a mistake. The problem with overbets is that it means worse hands will fold (so you don't get any value when you're ahead) and only better hands will give you action. We call this "valueowning" yourself. You're lucky that both villains folded this time, but if one of them had AJ, two pairs or a set, they will win a big pot from you. A more standard bet would be between half pot and full pot. I'd go with about 7 into 12 here, because I want draws to call and give me some chips. Try to avoid making weird plays like overbets. Disguise the strength of your hand, collect value from worse, and also leave room to manouvre, by making bets of a standard size.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jun 27, 2013, 11:05 PM
(#9)
Thanks for the analysis! Now I realize that my overbet was a big mistake. I'll be sure not to play T9 in early position again.

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 02:40 PM
(#10)
Hi rockclear. Yes, very sorry for the delay you experienced, your case didn't show up in my to-do list for some reason, I'll keep a close on this thread now. Good news...

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 09:02 PM
(#11)

Did I play this hand well?

Old
Sat Jun 29, 2013, 08:54 AM
(#12)
Great thanks for posting the cash game hand rockclear, we'll provide the analysis here soon.

Old
Sat Jun 29, 2013, 01:11 PM
(#13)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi again rockclear! Let's take a look at your latest hand.

First of all, it looks like you posted your big blind out of turn. Don't do this. Since you'll be dealt an unplayable hand more than 80% of the time, you'll be throwing away 2c four times out of five. This money will add up over time and drain your bankroll. When you first join a table, click the "Wait until big blind before posting" option. There are several useful settings in the software for things like this, and I've listed them in my blog.

With KK UTG, I am always opening for a standard raise of 3bb. Here it looks like you checked, with the plan being to raise. The limp-reraise trick is a common play amongst beginners who think they are being clever, but it doesn't work well against observant players. Whenever I see someone limp-reraise, I know they have KK or AA, so I will fold a hand as strong as QQ. The main problem with limping is that it may cause many players to also limp, meaning the hand is multiway and your hand is much more likely to get beat. Slowplaying is not recommended at the lowest stakes. Stick to a standard line to get value for your hand and to make your decisions easier. As played, there are two limps after yours, so it's not looking good, but then the big blind makes a minraise. Now you have the opportunity to reraise.
You get two calls, and see a flop of 433. This is a pretty good flop for kings, as there are lots of overpairs (QQ-55) that will think they have the best hand. You're only losing to AA, 44, and 3x (any hand containing a 3). The villain in the BB shoves all in, and I'd expect him to have something like QQ-88 most of the time. You reraise all in, and the buttons also calls. I'm shocked to see the hands of the other players. The big blind should never have raised 75 pre-flop, let alone called your re-raise. His shove on the flop is clearly a bluff. He only has 4 outs to his gutshot straight draw. The button's AT is almost as weird. I can only imagine that he'd seen the BB make crazy bluffs, so believed his hand was good. Your kings held, so you tripled up.
You got a great result here, but it was mainly because your opponents played so badly. Trust me on this: If you try and get tricky with your monster hands, you will miss value in the long run, and often end up losing the hand.

Hope this helps!
To get more tuition on cash game basics, I recommend going to live training sessions for the Wednesday and Saturday Games if you can. You'll even be able to play alongside other PSO members in the Homegame club and get instant feedback on the way you play your hands. Good luck!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jun 29, 2013, 06:38 PM
(#14)
Interesting analysis. Now I see it makes sense to not be fancy with a monster.

Old
Sat Jun 29, 2013, 06:39 PM
(#15)
Also, I have completed the steps!

Old
Sun Jun 30, 2013, 06:36 PM
(#16)
That's great to hear rockclear, I just need this from you before I can award you with your 2nd bonus and give you your next steps:

2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.

Hope to hear from you soon

Old
Sun Jun 30, 2013, 07:17 PM
(#17)
Ah, yes the question!

1. To put a lot of pressure on opponents
2. To Bluff people off a decent hand
3. To Gain Value from very strong hands.

Last edited by rockclear; Sun Jun 30, 2013 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: Found the question!

Old
Mon Jul 01, 2013, 06:25 AM
(#18)
Hello rockclear,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

flophitter

Old
Tue Jul 02, 2013, 11:28 PM
(#19)
I earned over 10 VPPs!

Old
Wed Jul 03, 2013, 10:34 AM
(#20)
Congratulations rockclear!

As you've earned enough VPP's we have awarded you with all your Bankroll Builder buy-ins and you have successfully completed the promotion, good job!

You are always welcome to post any troublesome hands in the >>Hand Analysis<< section.

Also it is a good idea to review some of the content on >>Bankroll Management<< at this point.

Keep in touch with us and let us know how your poker journey continues.

flophitter

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com