Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

A few tips for FLHE

Old
A few tips for FLHE - Sun Jun 23, 2013, 11:31 AM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
Thought I'd give something back because this forum has been good to me. but here are a few tips I've found as my game has improved over the past month. I'm currently playing (and beating) 10c/20c on Pokerstars and 25c/50c on another site. I'm not sure whether this all applies to nosebleed stakes but it certainly works for me.

1. Table selection. Find a table with a high VPiP and high players per flop. This means that pots will be big and have players that like to gamble.

2. Sit to the left of bad players. This is not always possible, sometimes it's more important just get onto a very loose table and we want to be in the game before our opponents blast off all their cash. Arty's blog on position is most important. If you can seat select then do so.

4. Play a TAG style, easier said than done but read up on NL playing styles and apply them to Limit. There is no one correct way to play so it's fine by other styles but if we're at a very loose table then we should tighten our starting range anyway and bet our premiums as hard as we can. We want to charge bad players for our good hands.

4. Be aware of table dynamics. Just as a table may have a high VPiP, as soon as you sit at it and are playing a TAG game then the tables VPiP should drop. But be aware of who the whales are because they are the ones that are keeping the high table VPiP. If they leave and the game tightens up then you should also leave and find a juicier game.

5. Never sit with a low stack, you want sit with enough so that you can max out the betting on every street. Have auto top up enabled so you never start each hand with under this value. I had a player just beat me with AA with 3 Big Bets left in is stack. He could have made much more.

6. Position, Position, Position. Position is everything. Play a lot more from the cut off and button than in any other spot. Hands you might limp early position should be raising with on the button.

7. Build big pots when you're strong, keep pots low when you're not This is how we win money from the game. Build our pots as big as we can when we know we are strong. There's nothing wrong with making deceptive plays but we want to get that pot built as high as we can. Similarly, we want to keep pots low if we're drawing with speculative hands or are unsure of or opponents hand strength.

8. A chip saved is a chip won. I'm guilty on this one but don't make calls just to speculate or for information. If you're behind and you know it then just give up on the hand. Hands like 2 pair on a 4 flushed board with 3 players betting before you will cost you money. Similarly there's no point raising in this spot against 3 if we're last to act because it's highly likely they won't fold a river bet with a low made flush.

There are other things like no to chase without odds etc. but this can be found elsewhere on the forum.

I'm sure I'll think of others but if anyone else has any tips then feel free to post them.

Old
Sun Jun 23, 2013, 11:33 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Great post Oval!

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 23, 2013, 01:18 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
This is a nice little guide. Good stuff.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 23, 2013, 04:36 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2013
After reading this i though il try out flhe and i found that every single player was loose so i can sit in any seat.

What bankroll do i need for 10 20 tables?

I might give these ago i dont like how draws get priced in though 247, i think i could make a profit here though.

Old
Sun Jun 23, 2013, 04:52 PM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2011
I start with 25 Big Bets and top up when I drop below 80%. Just keep tabs on your overall bankroll to know how many tables/ what level to play.

Old
Fri Aug 02, 2013, 10:22 AM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
- Know the nut hand on ALL streets.

I once saw a guy in a 6/12 FLHE live game lose with Ks full of 5s after flopping top boat; quad 5s beat him. Because this guy did not recognize the true nut hand, and because he was blinded by his 2nd nut hand, he put in 18 big bets PAST the 4 bet cap on the river. Don't be that guy...

This might SEEM obvious, but I have seen many people lose multiple bets past the nominal cap on a single street in live FLHE play because they had a very strong, but 2nd best hand (at some venues when a street in FLHE starts HU, there is no cap on the number of bets). NEVER forget that your hand strength is ALWAYS relative to the absolute nut hand possible, because it can get VERY costly if you are raising your under-boat or straight after the turn or river beat you.

- Try to limit your overcalls with middle strength made hands, post flop especially.

"overcall" = calling after someone else has called in front of you. Middle strength made hands = top pair/weak kicker, or 2nd pair/gut shot draw. Hands like these will tend to either not be good enough to win in multi way action, OR on tables were the maniacs tend to make them good enough, you'd be better off raising for value.

- Be aware of RELATIVE POSITION in multi-way pots.

Always keep aware of the likeliest bettor/raiser in the hand, and your position relative to this bettor/raiser. One of the costliest things you might do is to get caught between a bettor and a check/raiser holding a top/top type hand with no re-draws.

- Try to avoid cold calling raises, especially with people to act behind you.

Speculative hands like mid suited connectors and small pp want to play in pots that are multi-way AND cheap. Do not let yourself be blinded into thinking position is enough to come along. Suited connectors will only flop a one way draw about 22% of the time, and when they do flop these typical hands needed to win in multi-way pots, they tend to get there only about 1 time in 3. Since you lack much of NLHE's ability to bring pressure with bet sizing, you need to expect around 10+ to 1 return on ALL your money put into the pot (including that which you will put in to "get there" on later streets) to consider coming along with a speculative hand for a raise; you can "fit or fold" into multiway pots for a single bet and get this potential, but cold calling a raise...uh uh, not unless it starts 5 way and tends to STAY 5 way to the river!

Double Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JDean; Fri Aug 02, 2013 at 10:24 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com