Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

How do you cope with a bad downswing?

Old
How do you cope with a bad downswing? - Mon Jun 24, 2013, 11:34 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2011
This is an open question to everyone. Having dropped 6 stacks ($12) at 2NL in the last day I am finding it difficult to see a silver lining coming up...

Here is my graph from the last day:

I don't believe that I have been playing badly, it just seems that my opponents seem to hit every draw imaginable against my hands every time today. These hands were mostly over pairs or two pair hands going in on the flop with the opponent calling and hitting their draw on the turn or river. Not much I can do when it comes to winning all in flips..... just seems like my luck has been ridiculously bad today.

After dropping the 6 stacks across around 4000 hands I decided to stop playing cash and play a few tourneys (with not much luck either) to cool down. Perhaps I should have come off the poker all together for the day?

The question is, how do you deal with a downswing yourself? Do you continue to play to try to win the money back? Move up a stake for a quick fix? Step away from the computer for a while? Don't worry and hope the luck starts swinging back in your favour?

Danny

Old
Tue Jun 25, 2013, 08:36 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
You'll get a lot of answers, but they all come down to what relaxes you. Force yourself to take a full day off the virtual felt. Go to play money and experiment with a new strategy or a new poker variant. These are the passive options.

A more active player might use that day away from the felt looking at his recent hand history. Was it really the luck of the draw beating you, or have you developed an unintentional leak? Of course another idea is to get back to the tables and play twice as much. Poker is a game of streaks, so the sooner you can get through this rough patch, the better.

I'll tell you I prefer the more passive modes. It's a lot cheaper on the wallet.

Old
Tue Jun 25, 2013, 08:51 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
ok.....hiccup.....please remember my #1 rule.....that being said,

Understanding that this will happen is the key really,

POKER IS A GAMBLE......there is no for sure method here to always win.

Sure....training/reading is all good, but like l said, Understanding that down swings are going to happen,

Yes.....it's that simple.....

So when my AA's get beat by 72o....on the river.....a few times in a roll,

I'm cool about it....it's part of the game......hiccup.

Please note.....been playing cards for over 30 years, and l just figured this out a couple years ago, cards no longer tilt me...only people do

Cheers

Old
Tue Jun 25, 2013, 03:31 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
Eff's 1000% on point that first and foremost it's important to remember and accept that poker rarely moves on a steady line results wise and we all have our up and down swings. Learning and improving ones game can help to make the good periods more prevalent and profitable than the bad periods are unprofitable,but we're never going to experience all run good with no bad runs.

First thing I would do is step back and examine my game closely for the period in question and compare decisions made then to decisions made when I was running well and see if there are things that I'm doing differently. Examine my plays for value as well. On your graph it shows that you did run below expected EV,but it also shows that the expected EV for the period in question was negative anyway,so while some bad luck was in evidence I think you probably made some mistakes as well.

FIND THEM and fix them. Show some hands here or to a poker friend or friends with whom you compare notes. In any group like that you definitely want to have at least one ear that you bend who is a clearly more advanced player than you. They will likely find leaks that you don't yet realize having.

As to the ways to combat it...

IF you can identify that it's clearly a case of bad variance and that your decision making has remained solid and normal for what and how you play,then I don't see any reason not to just play through it. If you're getting tilty then pull back and study and examine your game (this is something that we ALL should do more of anyway,whether we're running good,bad or in the middle...).

Do NOT go up in stakes to try and get losses back quickly. I don't care if it's poker or sports wagering...if you show me someone who ups the stakes when they're losing to try and chase those losses already incurred then I can show you a loser,guaranteed. It's a surefire recipe for disaster.

Good luck/Better decisions.

Old
Tue Jun 25, 2013, 08:04 PM
(#5)
As Mox said analyzing critical hands is necessary. It helps in two ways: Confirming your good decisions and revealing the poor ones.

Critical hands are frequently not big pot hands. Difficult decisions need to be reviewed no matter what your level.

Another group of hands to always review are those where your read turned out to be wrong. Note: Running into the top of a villain's range is not a bad read. It's simply variance in action.

Also look over ones where your opponents took an unusual line. Hands where you are surprised deserve a second look.

Good decisions!

Old
Tue Jun 25, 2013, 09:09 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
I recommend taking a break and doing something that you KNOW will be enjoyable instead. There's variance in life too, but it's rarely as harsh as poker variance. If going to a movie, meeting an old friend for lunch, or sunbathing in the park is possible, do something like that. Poker will still be there when you come back, and maybe it won't bite you next time.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jun 25, 2013, 11:54 PM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
I recommend taking a break and doing something that you KNOW will be enjoyable instead. There's variance in life too, but it's rarely as harsh as poker variance. If going to a movie, meeting an old friend for lunch, or sunbathing in the park is possible, do something like that. Poker will still be there when you come back, and maybe it won't bite you next time.

Sunbathing in the park?

You live in the UK,I doubt you've ever done much of that.

Mind you I'm not saying you don't have parks,I AM saying you don't have sun though.

(It was 100 with humidity almost to match here in Maryland today and more of the same through...oh probably early September...so I'm not sure that I'm not envious of YOUR weather. )

Old
Wed Jun 26, 2013, 12:03 AM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
Sunbathing in the park?
You live in the UK,I doubt you've ever done much of that.
Mind you I'm not saying you don't have parks,I AM saying you don't have sun though.
I don't do a lot of sun-bathing in parks, if truth be told, but I live 5 minutes' walk from the beach. It's like being in Malibu. With clouds.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jun 26, 2013, 12:43 AM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
I don't do a lot of sun-bathing in parks, if truth be told, but I live 5 minutes' walk from the beach. It's like being in Malibu. With clouds.
Where are you arty?

I wa s in Horley for an age then eastbourne before we left for sunny Canada.

Grade b

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill

13 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jun 26, 2013, 10:19 AM
(#10)
Southend-on-sea. 25 miles from London, half a mile from the beach... and about 2 minutes from the next downswing.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jun 26, 2013, 01:16 PM
(#11)
Since: Apr 2011
I was living half a mile from Brighton beach, but I moved back to London recently, so no downswing sunbathing for me!

Old
Wed Jun 26, 2013, 10:17 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Hedgehog has you all beat - weather wise that is. We are experiencing a heat wave of 105+ temperature every day this month. That's 26 days. Long-term forecast shows seven more 110+ days. We are going to break that 100+ record of 39 days.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com