Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

South American Bankroll Builder

Old
South American Bankroll Builder - Tue Jun 25, 2013, 02:58 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2013
I would like to take part in the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Old
Tue Jun 25, 2013, 04:48 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulajet View Post
I would like to take part in the Bankroll Builder promotion.
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Please read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jun 26, 2013, 03:25 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2011
Hello hulajet,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
Question about a hand - Sat Jun 29, 2013, 02:08 PM
(#4)

Was I correct to enter this hand? Pretty weak holding, but lots of limpers so I joined in for $1 out of the SB.

I hit my Queen, but it was vulnerable to a 2 (which I figure would mostly likely be A2) or a Q with better kicker so I ended up just checking the flop. Because I was so out of position, I also froze on the turn because I thought this is where most 2s would be likely to bet. Then an Ace came on the river, so again I felt betting was a poor option. Should I have been betting any of these streets with these cards? I had just joined a new table and I knew nothing about any other players.

Was I correct to just check this down and be glad I won something? Or should I have tried to get more value out of this marginal hand?

I'll appreciate your thoughts on how to best play this hand, including just folding it, if I had better options.

I'm currently on vacation, but will try to get to the Poker Course as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Old
Sat Jun 29, 2013, 03:33 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jun 29, 2013, 04:06 PM
(#6)
Since: Dec 2010
Hi,
Hand Analysis

I like your thought process for this hand and you are spot on!

Although post flop we are sitting on an 80bb stack depth we could easily be betting for thin value and folding if raised we kicker issues on either the turn or river, this is a relatively dry board texture in an unopened pot, it's plausible that they may have a range of Ax, but in these type of scenarios their range could be weighted towards Kx high floats and stubborn middling cards! If we had specific reads on any of these villains about their hand ranges and/or tendencies, your check line is perfect!

Hope this helps.

Good luck and good decisions,
CannonLee

PS: is one of my favorite hands, short story..The first ever live poker hand that I played at one the local card clubs in my area I was dealt this exact hand...checked my BB option an flopped a flush vs. villains two pair and I lead out each street for 3/4 pure value 200bb deep... we got it all in on the river when the villain raised me..my heart was racing..ended up scooping the pot!

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Last edited by CannonLee; Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 04:10 PM..

Old
Sat Jun 29, 2013, 04:09 PM
(#7)
Since: Dec 2010
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
[ ] INCOMPLETE
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
[x] COMPLETE
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.
[ ] INCOMPLETE
Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 30, 2013, 03:41 AM
(#8)
Nice job on the Qd3d live. That raise on the river would have really raised my heart rate.

I logged in and watched the getting started video again. I also completed the Poker Basic Course.

I think I have completed my requirements. Please let me know if I missed anything.

Old
Sun Jun 30, 2013, 06:40 PM
(#9)
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
Sun Jun 30, 2013, 07:14 PM
(#10)
Players may want to make a big bet to bluff someone off of a reasonable hand, to get value from a strong hand, or to protect against strong draws.

I'll get to work on the course and the cash game play.

Thank you.

Old
Mon Jul 08, 2013, 07:41 PM
(#11)
I finished the Cash Game course and passed the exam. I will start playing some 1/2 cent in the next day or two.

Old
Tue Jul 09, 2013, 06:33 PM
(#12)
Ok great to hear hulajet, just post an interesting hand when it's convenient.

Old
Tue Jul 09, 2013, 07:39 PM
(#13)

In this hand, I was in late position with 44. The action folded around to me so I raised 3x the BB. It folded to the big blind who had been playing fairly loose aggressive. Villain re-raised from 6 cents to 10 cents. I found this raise to be fairly strange. The only sense I could make of it was a super cheap attempt to get me to fold if I was stealing. I didn't want to re-raise with 44, so I called. (Would a re-raise by me against this low re-raise be a decent play?)

The flop brought me a set of 4s, but at the expense of 3 clubs on the board. BB checked, so I fired out a continuation bet just to see if I could take the pot down right away. I think I should have added another 2-4 cents to this bet. Villain called.

Villain checked the turn, and I am fairly certain if I had fired another bet on the turn, I would have faced a re-raise and a very tough decision with the potential flush on the board. So I checked behind.

Villain checked the river, and I checked as well. I figure the only call I would get would be a flush which had me beat, so I didn't see any more value in the hand. If Villain had bet up to the size of the pot, I was prepared to call, but I was content to just proceed with caution and take down a smaller pot.

I welcome your feedback.

Old
Wed Jul 10, 2013, 06:06 AM
(#14)
Great thanks for posting the cash game hand hulajet, we'll provide the analysis here soon. Then I'll award you with your second bonus and we'll move on to the next step

Old
Wed Jul 10, 2013, 12:03 PM
(#15)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi hulajet! I'll take a look at the hand in post #13.

Raising as a steal attempt is fine with this hand in this position. When villain just min 3-bets, you can call in position as you still have the right odds to go set-mining. When villain checks the flop, instead of c-betting, then he's usually missed with a hand like AK and doesn't have the flush draw. With a set, betting is good. I'd probably even raise if villain had bet the flop, as he's much more likely to have a draw than a flopped flush. You bet about half pot and villain called. I'd feel confident that you have the best hand. Villain might be trying to keep the pot small with top pair top kicker or even QQ+ with no draw. Since the turn is a blank, I'd bet for value there. If villain is drawing, then he won't call a river bet if the draw doesn't hit, so you have to get value on the turn.
Since you checked back the turn, I think you should bet the blank river. Your bet can look like a bluff with a missed FD, and might be called by ace high, and certainly all overpairs. (Taking the bet-check-bet line can cause villain to look you up very light, as this line looks like you're using your position to steal the pot with any two cards).
Overall, you played the hand fine, but I think you missed some value. Villain might not have called a turn or river value bet, but you should generally try to get value, as you never know for sure if he'll look you up with worse.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jul 10, 2013, 12:50 PM
(#16)
Thank you. That gives me quite a bit to think about.

Old
Wed Jul 10, 2013, 05:38 PM
(#17)
Hello hulajet,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

flophitter

Old
Wed Jul 10, 2013, 09:34 PM
(#18)
Do I need to earn all 10 VPPs playing 1/2 cent cash games? Or can I play others limits or possibly a sit n go?

Thank you.

Old
Thu Jul 11, 2013, 05:48 AM
(#19)
Just put in a couple of hours of 1/2 cent, and I wanted to share a couple of hands.

First, I got behind early with this hand:

Villain was a basic ABC player. I raised on the button with AQo. Villain called. I liked the flop. My main concern was AK, and I assume he would have reraised with it preflop with 4 people still in that hand when he made that decision to call. So at this point I put him on a weaker Ace or a flush draw. I put out a small value bet on the flop which he called. I bet the turn for value in case he was on a flush draw or weak Ace using feedback from this thread. I had mild concerns about a straight when the river came, but I didn't think he would have called preflop, the flop, and the turn with those cards. So I fired out a value bet on the river in case he would call with a weaker Ace. Then he showed me K10. I think I played the hand ok and he just happened to catch a card. But I'd like some feedback since I lost a lot of money on this hand.

Finally, here was a better hand for me. Action limped around to me in the big blind with cards I was perfectly happy to throw away. The villain had played a lot of hands so I knew he had to be playing almost any two cards. He also fired out a c-bet nearly every time before shutting down. The flop gave me a double belly buster so I had some outs and called the c-bet. My plan was to attempt a steal with any broadway card. However, I got lucky and hit my straight on the turn. Villain fired a small bet on the turn so I just called hoping to check raise on the river if he fired again. Luckily he did, even though I didn't care to see the board pair. I checked, he bet, and after a series of re-raising it all went in. My best hand so far. Will gladly take advice on this hand or just a high five.

Thanks to this hand, I ended the 2 hour session up about 33 big blinds.

Earned 1.25 VPPs so far.

I also earned 2 cents in a PokerSchool Open Skill League tournament tonight.

Last edited by hulajet; Thu Jul 11, 2013 at 06:54 AM..

Old
Thu Jul 11, 2013, 05:51 AM
(#20)
Here is the 2nd hand I was talking about. I guess I can only post one per quick reply.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com