Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Flopped set, deep in a $2.2 MTT

Old
Flopped set, deep in a $2.2 MTT - Wed Jun 26, 2013, 02:48 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
about 100 players left in the big $2.2 , everyone is looking for a massive chiplead to take down the tourney ^.^

Anyway, I'm not sure about my line here :

Fresh into the tables, no read on villains.

A) Do I actually call this pre-flop with 77 looking to setmine? After all it's an UTG standar raise, and UTG+1 calls. There's a lot of money to be grabbed here (10k into 30k pot, inviting the blinds in...) , but i'm unsure if if should even play this or conserve my chips for a better spot

B) Seeing that i suspect a very strong hand from villain, i shove over him, hoping for a snap call with an overpair or a A-high flush draw. However, have I lost value here? Should i have flat-called, hoping for another stab from villain at the turn?

Old
Wed Jun 26, 2013, 08:18 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
**moved to more appropriate forum JWK24**

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jun 26, 2013, 08:49 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2012
Hey davidfrases

Generally with a 20 big blind stack we shouldn't be looking to set mine and with a hand like sevens and we will often get ourselves into some tricky spots on dry flops.

Having said that I don't think that this is a terrible spot to set mine purely because villain 6 has put some money into the pot. If villain 6 folded preflop then I would be folding for sure. It's going to cost 10k to win 40k which isn't the odds we need to profitably set mine but it's not far from it, and I think our implied odds are sky high because we will get paid off the majority of the time when we hit our set.

So with that being said I think the call preflop is borderline but ok, if our stack was just a couple of big blinds shorter then it's a very easy fold.

As played I'm shoving the flop too. There's no need to get fancy, we barely have a pot sized bet left in our stack and I expect to get called a very high percentage of the time by villain 5.

Nice hand, Chris.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com