Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Pushed off the best hand?

Old
Pushed off the best hand? - Wed Jun 26, 2013, 07:29 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
I couldn't really get my head round this at the time but the more I think about it the more I think I got pushed off the best hand here.
This is a 2c - 5c game and the main villain is a tight player 10/6 (733) taking a weird line. I didn't believe he had an Ace on the turn but what do you call a 3 bet > call a 4 bet for 25% of your stack with Pre Flop? Especially as this guy has folded to a 3 bet 4 out of 5 times he's been given the chance. On the flop I'm a bit concerned that the pre flop 3 bettor might have an Ace so I check hoping to get more info in this bloated pot. It checks back round to me on the turn and i put in a chunky bet quite happy to take it here. The 3 bettor folds and the nit check>raise jams?? Pocket 5s? pocket Queens or Jacks? Does an Ace really check twice? I dunno. So I fold and I can't help thinking given the pot odds I should've called.
Rob.

Last edited by RobinQQQ; Wed Jun 26, 2013 at 07:38 PM..

Old
Thu Jun 27, 2013, 03:40 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
Nobody mini raises/shoves as a bluff on the turn on a 3betted hand, so there are two alternatives:
1.He is completely retarded
2.He had at least an ace or a full house

Last edited by GamblingProp; Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 08:25 AM..

Old
Thu Jun 27, 2013, 06:46 AM
(#3)
Since: Jan 2013
Yeh your definitely beat but i might of found it hard to not look him up for that price just in case hes one of these players that just gone insane with overpairs to that 5 thinking you dont have an ace because if you did have an ace you would of cbet that flop because of the straight draw.

I know nits like slow playing there ace in that spot so he probably has got it but i wouldnt have bet that ace on the turn anyway because nits have a fold button and if he calls or raises your beat without an ace at least but who knows he might actually be overplaying some over pairs to that 5 because he believes you have nothing, so i would call for that price but i would rather check the turn and fold a river bet if he checked im betting and getting all in because i doubt hes gonna check an ace or a boat on the river for the 3rd time.

Old
reply to hand - Thu Jun 27, 2013, 02:08 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2012
The notes we have on him are making me fold this hand as quick as possible in 99% of situations. As you say the only problem is the 5 to 1 we are getting for the call around $2 to win $10, so we only have to be correct 1 in 5. But against this NIT i think we are good 0% (but you could suckout) joking. I just do not see him shoving a hand that we are beating, infact i cannot think of any hand that a NIT would play like this which we are beating, a NIT would not shove smaller pairs like some maniacs might. So i think you made the correct move, i think i would only call if i was getting some totally crazy pot odds like 20c to win $20 maybe not that crazy but you get my point...

Triple Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jun 27, 2013, 03:03 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
V4 is looking you up with QQ or JJ

V9 has AK

I always say "What am I beating if I call"

AQ, AK has you crushed. You said he was a Nit so standard hand

What if he had ACE QUADS ! lol

If your bluffed well good luck to him, only a matter of time before you get his cash. That is what I say "Well Done, catch you next time" and put notes on how the hand went down

Sometimes we have to lay down big hands, GOOD LAY DOWN

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 01:03 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Rob,

Betting the turn "to take it here" is not a good reason to bet, since we have a hand with excellent showdown value against all non-monsters. If we are betting here it should be because we think we can get value out of QQ/JJ. I'm not a big fan of the bet tbh, I think we should check again, and plan to call a reasonable river bet or bet the river ourselves for value (at which point JJ will be most likely to call us down, but we are only good for 1 post flop street in this spot against worse pairs I think).

As played, I agree with the others this is a super easy fold. The nit has AK like virtually all the time here, he thinks you are hooked to call for the rest after this big bet sizing. I think you did the right thing not paying him off.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 02:18 PM
(#7)
Ok Thanks for the feedback everyone. I guess I should've thought harder about the turn bet. I just felt confident at that point that I had the best hand and went for it. More thought required.
Rob.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com