Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

PSO Poker Basics Play Money History

Old
PSO Poker Basics Play Money History - Thu Jun 27, 2013, 05:06 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2013
ChromeStar
Hi so you're supposed to play a couple of orbits of play money poker. The game wouldn't launch for me from the link but went and played and here is the hand history.

Old
Thu Jun 27, 2013, 05:53 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
I'm seeing 5 hands in the replayer. Any more just makes it too confusing.

Firstly, I would recommend you play on 9-handed full ring tables if you're a total beginner, as the PSO beginner courses are designed for that format, in which a patient and disciplined style works well. 6-max is more loose and aggressive.

Hands 1-3 are standard folds of trash hands.
In hand 4, A9s is about the bottom of my range for opening UTG in a 6-max game. I'd prefer ATs, really, as playing out of position with a "trouble hand" like A9s is neither fun or profitable. I'd also stick with a standard 3bb open, not a minraise. If you got heads up, then making a continuation bet on the T42 flop would be standard, but in a multiway pot, you have much less fold equity, so checking with the intention of folding is fine.
In hand 5, I'm only calling with A3s because the pot is multiway, so there are good implied odds if you happen to hit two pairs or a flush/straight. It's generally a mistake to play raised pots out of position (in the blinds) with weak aces. As played, you should check the flop. Primarily because it's standard to check to the pre-flop raiser, but secondly, it's hard to get called by worse if you lead out. You can get action from flush draws, but the most likely hands villains call a bet with are aces, and there is only one ace worse than yours, and you'll usually only be chopping the pot with A2. Villain's losing hand isn't shown, but he obviously didn't make a flush, so I guess he was calling with a weaker pair like 99 or a random 8.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jun 27, 2013, 07:56 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2012
Hello nzmonsta,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline. Here's a short video about PSO and what it has to offer you. Also check out >>This Page<< for more info.

We're here to help you so please feel free to ask any questions you may have and thank you for being a member of PokerSchoolOnline.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 11:23 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
I noticed you said you were on play money. Understand that the "rules" regarding betting strategy do not apply. Many players treat the play chip side as a game. Thus, a player using the 3BB strategy will find themselves facing all-in situations far more frequently. Play chip players will react to a strong raise in one of two ways. They either fold or push all-in. It's the theory that there is nothing to lose. Expect play to be far looser than cash games.

My recommendation is to practice in play money, but use it to recognize which hands are playable. If you enjoy the looser style of play money, try the astrology freerolls. At least here a good run will result in a fair chance at earning real money.

Old
Sat Jul 13, 2013, 12:17 AM
(#5)
Since: May 2013
ChromeStar
Hi and thanks for the feedback. I've been playing poker for a number of years now and really enjoy it. I've decided I'd like to step up my game and give poker a serious crack. So I thought I should make use of the schools resources to help improve my game and take things to the next level.

Here I was just fulfilling the lesson requirements and being play money I probably wasn't taking it to seriously and would play a lot more loose than I normally would.

Will post some more serious play soon for your professional analysis and advice.

Cheers
nzmonsta

Old
Mon Jul 15, 2013, 09:41 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
If you intend getting a better picture of your style, I would suggest you manually copy the information contained in the Stats tab after each session. Once you have a thousand hands, you'll be able to make a more informed decision regarding your play.

I find the idea that you can get a good inference from one orbit on the table, which is six to nine hands, a disservice to the novice player. Imagine having a session where you have that many group one or two hands, which can happen. It will look like you're a loose-goose since you played every hand. Reverse it, have as many hands with cards no higher than an eight or nine, and never suited or connecting. Trust me, I've had too many of these, so don't think it impossible. You don't play, somebody will wonder if you even have a wallet.

A thousand hands isn't enough, but it is something you can achieve in a relatively short time. Play the PSO and the astrology freeroll games and record your stats for ten games. You'll get a better indication than one orbit.

Did I do this? Yes and no. Yes, I did this while playing those 27-player SNG games in the play money side. A game no longer available on the play money menu. No, I didn't stop at a thousand hands, and had hoped to have closer to fifty thousand. More hands equals a better picture.

Be aware, you should do this for each style of game you play. SNG games do not compare to ring or MTT. Each has its characteristics. For example, I had a very high rate of folding in the small blind when I played ring, but it was a bit higher in tourneys, and higher still on SNG. You cannot focus on one very limited review of your play and think it comprehensive.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com