Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Am i to aggro in these hands

Old
Am i to aggro in these hands - Thu Jun 27, 2013, 05:18 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013

This hand i flop a set on a wet board and i think i can get called by a load of hands but is my sizng to big?

This hand i decided to flat this 3bet and hope to see a nice flop and he checks but i figured i got to bet in case hes got some ax and kx hands.

Sorry for posting 3 hands in one thread i figured theres no need for multiple threads because i just want to know was my bet sizing to big in these hands.

I could post up like 6 more of these types of hands just from tonight and none of my monsters are getting payed lately which makes me turn into a lag in some spots where i might call a 3bet and know villain most like had an over pair to this flop and i called a cbet and then donked and shipped the river on a board with obvious made flush and straight draws vs a taggish player who just wouldnt give up his over pair yet no one is giving action on these flops whats going on i ask myself.

Last edited by mike2198; Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 05:38 PM..

Old
Thu Jun 27, 2013, 05:30 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2012
I'll not pass too much comment on the lines taken because I doubt my ability to accurately comment on that but I think the first hand the bet sizing is fine. 13 into 18 on a two tone flop seems good. Its unlikely/unfortunate (Fortunate if he doesnt hit but chases of course) if he has flopped a flush draw but it makes sense to me to make a chunky bet to charge him to draw but also to start building a nice pot.

The second hand. Once he checks I think we are good to lead out and your bet sizing was fine there for me. Little over half pot. Were only really afraid of sets as I think villain 5, without knowing reads, raises anything better than JJ pre-flop.

Hand one and three are the same by the way.

Old
Thu Jun 27, 2013, 05:40 PM
(#3)
Thought i posted the other QQ hand il try and find that now cheers for helping us out, i just cant get payed lately either i dont hit and im forced to fold or i do and they dont hit.

Old
Thu Jun 27, 2013, 05:41 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
1. It's fine. I might even bet a bit more, as flops like this connect with so many hands, so you'll often get action.

2. Fine again. In 3-bet pots, half pot is standard. If villain folds AK, that's fine, because he has 6 outs, which means you can't let him have a free/cheap turn card.

3. Same as first hand. Please post another one if necessary.

Try not to get frustrated when you don't get action with your big hands. It's just variance. Sometimes, you win a whole stack because you run into a hand near the top of villain's range, and other times, he whiffed completely. I've not played much zoom, but in the last few days I've been trying to get the black kings (no luck so far) and I'm finding it hard to get three streets of value from my big hands. I'm not sure if this is just small sample size variance, or if zoom really does play that differently to regular games. It seems to me that many Zoom players are looking for reasons to fold, so they can get on to the next hand. I find there are many more stations on the regular tables, which is part of the reason I prefer playing on them.

P.S. There will be more advice on continuation bet-sizing in the next couple of blogs I post, so look out for those.

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 05:43 PM..

Old
Thu Jun 27, 2013, 05:53 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtySmokesPS View Post
1. It's fine. I might even bet a bit more, as flops like this connect with so many hands, so you'll often get action.

2. Fine again. In 3-bet pots, half pot is standard. If villain folds AK, that's fine, because he has 6 outs, which means you can't let him have a free/cheap turn card.

3. Same as first hand. Please post another one if necessary.

Try not to get frustrated when you don't get action with your big hands. It's just variance. Sometimes, you win a whole stack because you run into a hand near the top of villain's range, and other times, he whiffed completely. I've not played much zoom, but in the last few days I've been trying to get the black kings (no luck so far) and I'm finding it hard to get three streets of value from my big hands. I'm not sure if this is just small sample size variance, or if zoom really does play that differently to regular games. It seems to me that many Zoom players are looking for reasons to fold, so they can get on to the next hand. I find there are many more stations on the regular tables, which is part of the reason I prefer playing on them.

P.S. There will be more advice on continuation bet-sizing in the next couple of blogs I post, so look out for those.
Zoom does play so different to regular tables.

It can be infuriating - Zoom is a mechanical game where you have to have really good discipline to lay down hands when you dont have the nuts because the likelyhood is that the other person stuck around because they had a premium hand pre or a speculative hand which has become a monster post.

Gareth has great discipline for Zoom. I hope I can attain the same cold calculating talents.

Zoom is a lot to do with set hunting. It gets to the point sometimes where I want to price everyone out pre so they dont get a chance to set-mine but, of course that is pointless, because you then get no value when everyone folds.

Old
Thu Jun 27, 2013, 06:02 PM
(#6)
Cheers Arty yeah i thought i was playing them fairly standard its just with not getting action im not making much money so i end up looking for different ways of doing it like blowing other regs of hands the trouble is they cant fold QQ on a Jh 8d 7h 9h Ts when i call the flop and donk for 70% of pot on the turn and ship the river.

I was baffled because he had tag stats over 300 odd hands and i just dont understand why he cant fold QQ on that board.

Il save those plays for higher stakes if i get there because obviously just because they have taggish stats dont mean they can fold those types of hands.

Old
Thu Jun 27, 2013, 06:08 PM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2011
Most players aren't folding on the river with QQ there. There's three cards to a flush, but the board made a straight, and villain can beat that straight. He probably thinks you're shoving to get him off a chop. It's not a wise move, as villains at 2NL are incapable folding when they think they are getting half the pot. Definitely not folding when they can do better than chop!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jun 27, 2013, 06:27 PM
(#8)
Just realized what i did there heres the actual hand

Not something i would do normally i just was trying something out and failed.

I wouldnt normally call 3bets with kqs OOP but was trying a new line i kinda messed up the jam on the river aswell by accidently not pushing the bet slider all the way, dunno if he thought i was more likely to be bluffing but either way he should be folding surley he had stats on me that im not normally gonna be doing these sorts of lines, normally if i am betting like that i have your overpair smashed so he should of folded.

Last edited by mike2198; Thu Jun 27, 2013 at 06:33 PM..

Old
Thu Jun 27, 2013, 07:14 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post
.................dunno if he thought i was more likely to be bluffing but either way he should be folding surley he had stats on me that im not normally gonna be doing these sorts of lines, normally if i am betting like that i have your overpair smashed so he should of folded.
Just a little thought,
At 2NL don't assume that everybody has stats on you (nor at 5 and 10NL for that matter)

Old
Thu Jun 27, 2013, 08:06 PM
(#10)
I thought he would have stats because he was running taggish stats so he knew what he was doing to a degree which was why i thought he might have a hud but yes i guess your right, it was an attempt at trying to make more money when im not doing it by showing down the best hand but il avoid doing that at 2nl now.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com