Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

99 Faces weird UTG raise

Old
99 Faces weird UTG raise - Thu Jun 27, 2013, 10:04 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
Found this a weird spot, am I folding this everyday, or are there spots were I reshove?

Villain showed a pretty solid 20/10 over 110 hands, but has been doing some /very/ goofy stuff, most notably :

- Openshoving 50 BBs UTG with T9o
- Chasing 8 high flushes for his tournament life on wet boards
- Openraising 10x UTG with K-Rag suited

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 01:42 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2012
Hi,
At this stage of blinds and such huge raise I fold even AK and TT. I would fold too.The problem is that there isn't call option and I don't like shoving pre flop so early with 99-TT and AK. With 15 BB's I would shove.

Last edited by Shichi-77; Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 01:49 AM..

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 01:57 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shichi-77 View Post
Hi,
At this stage of blinds and such huge raise I fold even AK and TT. I would fold too.The problem is that there isn't call option and I don't like shoving pre flop so early with 99-TT and AK. With 15 BB's I would shove.
SO the only spot you could imagine me shoving there is when I'm short, regardless of villain?

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 08:41 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2012
I think that I won't get better hand than 99 and better spot with 15bb's .

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 11:28 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi David,

I think folding is correct here. Yes, the villain is a nutbar, but 99 is not really strong enough to justify risking a big stack relative to the blinds. I'm sure it's +EV chip wise, but may not be +tEV since if we lose this hand we cripple a big stack. Short stacked I totally agree ship it in.

When would I shove here on this stack size?

-In a fast structure... absolutely in a hyperturbo, and probably in a turbo. Stack protection is less critical now as the 80bb stack won't stay big for long, so I lean more toward taking the +EV shove against the nutbar to accumulate chips.

-With JJ+. Now hand strength is too +EV to pass imo, even in a normal structure, against this villain type.

Edit: Also shoving in a rebuy 100% here, never passing the +EV chip up spot if I can reload when it goes sideways.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by TheLangolier; Fri Jun 28, 2013 at 11:30 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com