Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL 6-Max Zoom: fold or check-raise turn?

Old
2NL 6-Max Zoom: fold or check-raise turn? - Thu Jun 27, 2013, 10:39 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
Hopefully this question is a bit more interesting than what I've been posting in the past...

Standard raise and c-bet for me. I'm not real confident about the c-bet with a 3-way pot, but it felt like the right thing to do.

After the two calls, I've pretty much given up on the pot. But the raise and call feels very weak from both villains. I don't think a K or Q is going to do that. My thinking is that they've either just paired their A9, J9, worried about their JJ or hold underpairs to the board.

I'm now thinking the best line may be check-raise-fold here on the turn. If I get called with a raise, I'm checking and then calling or re-raising marginal raises again depending on what comes (no heart and no broadway cards barring a J).

How good is my reasoning. I know I'm a bit weak on ranging, so am I doing it right here?

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 01:37 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Saturn,

Reads would help the decisions.

I don't think this is a good board texture to c-bet into 2 players personally... it hits their calling ranges quite hard, except for the small pocket pairs, but we're beating those anyway. I expect in a multi-way pot we often don't have the best hand any more and we don't have fantastic fold equity on a c-bet.

Fold the turn. There's .99c in the pot and V3 only has .93c behind, I doubt he's folding, and we basically have to commit half our stack to a reasonable check/raise now to put significant pressure on V6. We are getting what looks to be an attractive price to call, with 5-1 immediate + implied odds, but it's not that great in that we can sometimes be drawing dead to a chop already, the Jh may not be an out, so we definitely need implied odds, but the implied odds part will be difficult to realize because all the cards that improve us also make the board very scary.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 01:50 AM
(#3)
I did push pretty hard and both folded. So even with the soft bets, not worth sticking around?

2NL 6-max zoom seems to be very fishy at the moment. I'm up 5.41 today and 13.90 over the last two days. And I almost always lose a bit when zooming...

BTW, thanks for the training today. Was very helpful. I really need to go back through the archive and look at all the other sleuths...

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 10:55 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Thanks, glad you liked the class, definitely check out the other Statistical Sleuth sessions!

I also like that you got a good result in this hand but questioned the profitability of the play anyway. At first, people who examine their own play usually only question hands they lose. Examining hands you won with the same fine toothed comb is a big step in a poker player's evolution imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jun 29, 2013, 07:56 AM
(#5)
Oh my, I must be a silly ol' bear than. Most of the hands I've posted here are ones that gave me a profit. I'm not happy if I'm making a profit with bad play. I know that profitable at my current level may be leaky one level up. I'm still confused half the time, which is probably reflected in my ever fluctuating BR.

So now I'm really scared being up $20 over nearly 1,400 hands at 2NL 6-max over the last 3 days. I really think that the Boom and Zoom promotion is bringing in a lot of fish and my current (poor) style of play is just right for the current migration (that I expect to be gone next week).

I guess I just grind as best I can until the promotion ends, then reflect back over what I've done...

Bracelet Winner

Old
reply - Sat Jun 29, 2013, 08:06 AM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2012
I really do not think there are any more players playing, the promo is just a added bonus i do not think especially at 2nl. I am glad you are making some $

Triple Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jun 29, 2013, 08:11 AM
(#7)
I hope you are right. I can't think of any reason that I'd be doing so well...

...unless I've managed to soak up a lot of Dave and the other's poker Wisdom. That would be awesome! I guess only time will tell...

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com