Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Playing small pairs in cash games

Old
Playing small pairs in cash games - Fri Jun 28, 2013, 06:18 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
Is it profitable to be calling 3bets with small pairs, im making a profit with all my pockets pairs but i dont know if i would be making more money by not calling 3bets with them when im deep.

I know that when i hit im getting a stack pretty much all the time but im unsure of if its costing me money in the long run when i miss.

Another thing im unsure of is if i open pocket 2s to 9s UTG is spewy to not cbet every time i miss, what i normally do is think has this board hit the villains range so if i had pocket 22 and the flop came K37r. I would cbet that flop and hope to take the pot and shutdown if im called.

But if the board was wet or there was like j and q there aswell i would expect villain to be holding them cards quite often so i dont cbet.

Is this the best way to play pocket pairs? also if i had small pocket pairs in sb or bb is it unprofitable to set mine OOP or should i just 3bet resteal?

Last edited by mike2198; Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 03:20 PM..

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 11:09 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Dave had you in mind when he did a three part series on pocket pairs, sessions 141, 142 and a misnumbered second 142.

Good luck
Doug

3 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 11:34 AM
(#3)
Sweet il look at this now.

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 03:19 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
For set-mining in 3-bet pots, re-read my article about how to react to 3-bets, paying particular attention to the "special cases".

99-66 are definitely profitable opens UTG in 6-max games. Most winning players also open 55-22 there too. You should usually be c-betting too. Just pretend you have AK or QQ. Flops that are good for those hands are likely to scare the pre-flop caller, so you have a good deal of fold equity. I'll go into more depth on this topic (evaluating flops when considering a c-bet) in my blog at the weekend.

In the blinds facing a steal when you hold a small pair, it's probably still profitable to go set-mining at 2NL, but turning your hand into a bluff and 3-betting possibly has a higher EV. At 5NL and higher, it's fairly standard to 3-bet with the bottom of your range, especially when facing a frequent stealer who posseses a fold button.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jun 29, 2013, 06:40 PM
(#5)
Yh im gonna go over your blog again and some of the vids i went over when i started out i noticed i have missed a few things here and there because i couldn't understand it the 1st time i looked.

I had a look at the link you posted and daves vids that bear posted and im playing pairs fine, i learnt a neat trick of daves as well where i can induce a bluff when my hand isnt to strong but i know im ahead and villain is pretty weak. It has put my WTSD up abit but im winning a couple of nice small pots the only problem is when they river a over pair and you bluff catch and lose a small pot.

Its no prob though when you end up winning more than you lose.

Old
mtt - Sun Jul 28, 2013, 08:29 PM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2011
y i lost near bubble,pls.
ty

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com