Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Support Center /

PokerStars Software Improvement Thread

Old
PokerStars Software Improvement Thread - Fri Jun 28, 2013, 06:28 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2013
(PokerStars Representative)
Hello PokerSchoolOnline,

We will be deploying client updates this week. Here is a list of most notable items:

Mac client using Cocoa API

We have changed our Mac client to use the Cocoa API. This client will initially be deployed solely on .NET this month to find any critical bugs before being rolled out to the real money clients. The change to Cocoa is a prerequisite to adding Retina support and many other improvements for Macs down the road. Retina support is not being added just yet, but we expect it will shortly follow should everything go smoothly on .NET client this month.

Other Mac Improvements

We are also deploying two Windows client features over to the Mac client – chat emoticons and the ability to re-order columns in the lobby list of games. Emoticons are directly accessible from the chat area on the table. To use the re-order of columns functionality you can simply drag & drop a column header in the main lobby, or click on the Lobby Column Settings icon just above the bet slider and do it from the dialog that opens.

New Gaming Sounds (Beta)

We are releasing a new set of beta sounds for the client and have made improvements to the way sounds are played in the client to improve the overall experience. To try the new Beta sounds simply check "Enable beta sounds" checkbox in the "Options" > "Sounds" dialog. We will be looking to make those default sounds for the client after the Beta period.

In addition to the sounds being updated, we have also added a unique sound for raise.

We would love to hear how you like the new sounds – please email your feedback to beta@pokerstars.com.

Tournament Lobby "Date" Column Change

Tournaments that will start within the next 60 minutes will display the number of remaining minutes in the current "Date" column. So instead of showing for example "Jun 21 07:24", the column might show "In 15 min" with a tooltip of the actual date and time. We are also changing the header of this column to be "Start". In case you do not find this new display to your liking, you can revert to always showing the date by unchecking "Show Minutes Remaining in ‘Start’ Column for Tournaments" in "Options" > "Lobby Display Options".

Alternative Tourney List View

We are making few minor changes to the alternative list view for Tourney tab – polishing a few display issues, adjusting the sorting logic, and ironing out some bugs. We will be looking to roll out the alternative view as default soon, so if you have not tried it, please do so and send us your feedback to beta@pokerstars.com. To enable the new view, please go to "Options" > "Lobby Display Options" and select "Enable Alternative Tournament List Layout (Beta)".

Flighted Tournaments (Beta)

After resolving several major issues (mostly related to reporting for European regulators) we will be looking to re-start a wider Beta testing phase of flighted tournaments on shared liquidity clients. For the ones who are not clear what this is, flighted tournaments are very similar to the way major live tournaments are run where you have Day 1A, Day 1B, etc., that lead to a single Day 2 combining the remaining players from the previous flight. Players may also be able to play in more than one entry level flight, if they have been eliminated from the previous one.

Other improvements:

We will now have filters that allow players to hide Table Starters and Zoom in the main ring game lobby.
The pop-up that shows when busting out of an SNG no longer steals focus – it is simply added to the queue of actions.
The live table view in the lobby will now be the default for new installs.
The SNG lobby now more clearly displays the added money and total prizepool for Golden SNGs.
Many other small bug fixes and improvements.

Note: Most of the above changes would only take effect once your gaming client has been updated, which could happen at different times for different players. Please ensure you are running PokerStarsUpdate.exe to get the update.

Regards,

Stefan.

PokerStars Representative

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 06:45 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2012
Can we get zoom table preferences? ie Always opening up 4 tables when you click 'join table' in the lobby.

Gets annoying having to double click 4 times to start a session.

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 07:12 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdayy View Post
Can we get zoom table preferences? ie Always opening up 4 tables when you click 'join table' in the lobby.

Gets annoying having to double click 4 times to start a session.
I already have this option. There is a drop down where you can select how many tables to join on the buy-in pop-up.

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 09:51 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoylegend View Post
I already have this option. There is a drop down where you can select how many tables to join on the buy-in pop-up.
This option used to be available to me but since the update it seems to have gone.

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 10:31 AM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2012
i think this is a good thread to keep users in the loop whenever thers a new update to the client, beats having to goto the PS homepage n check on the software news only to find that it hasnt been updated since 2-3 updates ago?

hope that last line made any sense ;p

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jul 10, 2013, 06:47 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
I hope Stefan reads this, but im wondering why cant we take notes on ourselves???
Id really like to put down some stuff instead of having word or anything else open to read my notes.

Regards,
Prohorse3

don't beg for things do it yourself or else you won't get anything

Old
Wed Jul 10, 2013, 08:49 AM
(#7)
Since: Apr 2012
Hi Prohorse3,

It is in fact possible to add notes to yourself using the PokerStars client. Simply select Options then Player Notes as shown below.

Then all you have to do is type your own name into the search and you are able to add notes as you like.

Hope this is some use.

Chris (Fadyen)

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 26, 2013, 09:10 AM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Both me and my internet are a little slow to warm up this morning, so ... figured I'd copy PS Stefan's post from 2+2

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...ostcount=18758

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerStars Stefan
Hello 2+2,

We are in the process of deploying a small client update this week. Here is a list of the most notable items:

Re-entry tournaments (Beta)

We are introducing re-entry tournaments to the PokerStars tournaments offering. In re-entry tournaments, when you bust during late registration, you are given the option to re-enter the tournament. Unlike in a rebuy, you will not keep your seat (and there is no add-on period); instead, you are given a completely new tournament entry. Initially we will start with a small Beta offering of those tournaments until we verify that everything is functioning properly.

New card decks (Beta)

We've introduced two new card decks. They are accessible via Table Themes. Here are screenshots of the new decks:

Mac Client and Cocoa API

The PokerStars.NET Mac Cocoa client rollout has gone rather smoothly, so we are deploying the new Cocoa Mac client to several real money licenses this month. If all goes well, it will be deployed to .COM and .EU next month. In the Cocoa client there is initial Retina support for text and native OS controls.

Other bug fixes and improvements
  • Beta Sounds: A fix for the ante sound being played too many times each hand.
  • A fix for some graphical issues with full hole cards obscuring the dealer button in themes derived from the Classic theme.
  • A fix for a problem with tournaments not auto-closing when a player busts at the same time the table breaks.
  • Other smaller fixes and tweaks.

Note: Most of the above changes would only take effect once your gaming client has been updated, which could happen at different times for different players. Please ensure you are running PokerStarsUpdate.exe to get the update.

Stefan, you know what - seems like maybe 2nl-10nl Zoom somehow got overlooked when it came to adding Run It Twice! Like apparently 25nl+ Zoom has RIT, and so does 2nl+ ring games. So we're the only ones that don't have it ... sad face

Old
Tue Jul 30, 2013, 09:22 AM
(#9)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
Stefan, you know what - seems like maybe 2nl-10nl Zoom somehow got overlooked when it came to adding Run It Twice! Like apparently 25nl+ Zoom has RIT, and so does 2nl+ ring games. So we're the only ones that don't have it ... sad face
Hey Trusty,

I've asked the Poker Room Management Team about this and apparently the plan is to add RIT to the remaining microstakes ZOOM games within the next week

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 30, 2013, 12:06 PM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalraise85 View Post
Hey Trusty,

I've asked the Poker Room Management Team about this and apparently the plan is to add RIT to the remaining microstakes ZOOM games within the next week

Raiser
That sounds great, reducing variance ftw!

Old
Tue Jul 30, 2013, 12:33 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Wow, RRaiser ... thanks so much for doing that - I've been trying (patiently!) for months to request it over at 2+2, and haven't been getting anywhere. Had pretty much ran out of ideas.

GamblingProp said it ... who isn't going to be thrilled with lower variance - I'm sure the whole 2nl-10nl player pool is very grateful to you for your efforts!!

And lower variance is great for PokerStars too, because with my little stop-loss of 3bi, whenever I'm running bad with all-in-EV, I still have to stop. And it's the only time I ever hit my stop-loss, so ... now all of us who might have that sort of stop-loss'll be able to keep playing all day long, so hopefully PokerStars'll find it's worth their while for us to all have RIT too

Nice when somebody does something nice for others, and it's a happy ending all-around Thanks Raiser

Old
Tue Jul 30, 2013, 03:11 PM
(#12)
Since: Apr 2011
Hmm re-entry could be quite good or rather bad, will reserve judgement til some appear in the lobby. Thanks for posting it Sam

Old
Fri Aug 02, 2013, 03:27 AM
(#13)
Since: Jun 2010
Was hoping PS would consider darkening the tourney lobby. Currently a lot of glaring white there for those of us who keep the lobby open during a tournament.

Old
Sun Sep 08, 2013, 12:47 AM
(#14)
Since: Mar 2011
Hi Stefan

I really like

Tournament Lobby "Date" Column Change

Tournaments that will start within the next 60 minutes will display the number of remaining minutes in the current "Date" column. So instead of showing for example "Jun 21 07:24", the column might show "In 15 min" with a tooltip of the actual date and time. We are also changing the header of this column to be "Start". In case you do not find this new display to your liking, you can revert to always showing the date by unchecking "Show Minutes Remaining in ‘Start’ Column for Tournaments" in "Options" > "Lobby Display Options".

It may seem a simple change/idea but sometimes the simple things are the best so I wont be reverting back

Old
Thu Sep 19, 2013, 02:32 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerStars Stefan

We are in the process of deploying a client update this week. Here is a list of the most notable items:

PokerStars 7 Alpha

This is not technically linked to the update that is being deployed, but as some of you may have heard we have started an Alpha testing phase of PokerStars 7 with a small number of players. The first Alpha version has key features such as Quick Seat lobby, Favorites, new Main Lobby filters, the new App Bar and more. We will be updating the Alpha client as more features are ready to be released there, until we are ready to transition to the more open Beta stage. Stay tuned for more news!

Extra Bet Slider Button

The desktop client will now have four configurable buttons that control betting amounts. We have also turned the bet slider shortcut buttons on for everyone, though you can still switch them off if you prefer. If you have already customized the bet slider shortcuts, you will need to go to “Options” > “Bet Slider Options” and configure the extra button.

Mac Cocoa API

We will finish the upgrade process and deploy the new Cocoa client to all remaining licenses (including .COM) this month. The Cocoa client has initial Retina support for text and native OS controls.

Ratholing Restrictions

We are in the final stages of testing the new ratholing restrictions that were agreed upon during player meetings. If we do not find any problems they will be enabled this month.

Other bug fixes and improvements
  • We believe we've identified and fixed a rare occurrence that sometimes prevented starting SNGs from opening when multi-tabling.
  • Tournaments will now correctly auto-close a table that breaks when the player busts.
  • Changed the ante sound triggers in the beta sound set. This sound will now play less often. We look to enable the new sounds by default in early October, while keeping the option to use the old ones.
  • BOOM! hand replays can now be watched using mobile devices, via boomplayer.com
  • Few more fixes and improvements.

In case any BOOM! Replayer affecionados didn't see the update list over at 2+2

PS Thanks so much again Raiser and Ferdy for all the help with the RIT!! And thanks PS Stefan for the 4th shortcut key!!

Last edited by TrustySam; Thu Sep 19, 2013 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: had to fix the link

Old
Wed Oct 30, 2013, 10:12 AM
(#16)
(PokerStars Representative)
Hello PokerSchoolOnline,

We are releasing a small client update this week. The focus right now is mostly on PokerStars 7 which is in closed Alpha stage, but here is a list of few items that are being released:
  • Mac Performance Improvements --We have optimized the Mac clients performance slightly to alleviate some of the lag problems that players might have experienced. We have also fixed several other issues reported recently. Players who are using the special client posted in this thread earlier will not be asked to update to the newly deployed client and can continue using the special client until we confirm the instant lag issue has been resolved.
  • New Default Card Backs -- we have changed the default card backs to be one of the recently added variants. If your card backs have changed and you want to go back to the previous design, then please right click on the table background or felt and select "Table Themes" and adjust your card back design from there.
  • Auto-Centering when Automatically Seated -- we have added the option to always be automatically centered in the bottom center seat (or the one closest to bottom center) when a player is automatically seated at a table, for example via "Seat me" or "Find Me A Seat".
  • Other minor improvements and fixes.

Regards,
Stefan

PokerStars Representative

Old
Wed Oct 30, 2013, 05:25 PM
(#17)
Since: Feb 2010
i had an update for ps when i started client, but now when i click help> contact support. the form loads up but it overlaps the system tray so i cannot click OK/CANCEL and if i try to move the page up with left click mouse it auto moves back down again.
as i said this has only happened since i got an software update today.

Old
Thu Oct 31, 2013, 03:01 PM
(#18)
Since: Oct 2010
yes he is right the page seems to be to big for the screen I have a 24 inch screen it's to big on mine I can't use the cancel or send buttons on the bottom but my wife has a 32 inch screen and it's ok on hers

Triple Bracelet Winner

Last edited by taxi128; Thu Oct 31, 2013 at 03:06 PM..

Old
Thu Oct 31, 2013, 05:21 PM
(#19)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Thanks guys,

I've let the Software Team know about this for you, thanks for the Feedback

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Oct 31, 2013, 06:10 PM
(#20)
Since: Feb 2010
cheers RR

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com