Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

new bankroll

Old
new bankroll - Fri Jun 28, 2013, 08:46 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
I'm new to PSO and would like to take place in the bankroll builder promotion.

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 10:14 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by opygirl View Post
I'm new to PSO and would like to take place in the bankroll builder promotion.
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Please read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 03:41 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi opygirl,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!
NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.
Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basics Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.
So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
call feed back - Sat Jun 29, 2013, 11:45 PM
(#4)
Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

In this hand I'm not sure if I should have been. Maybe he would have folded or was this the right play and I just lost.

Old
Sat Jun 29, 2013, 11:52 PM
(#5)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 30, 2013, 02:16 PM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi opygirl! I'll take a look at the hand in post #4.

Firstly, this looks like the first hand of a tournament. Tourneys require a slightly different strategy to cashgames because of the escalating blinds. Please sit on regular 9-handed cash tables for the duration of this promotion. Nevertheless, I'll give you some advice for this tourney situation.

A4s is a reasonable hand to play in middle-late position, but it's by no means a monster. With this hand I'm usually trying to steal the blinds or flop the nut flush draw, as making one pair is unlikely to be good enough. Speaking of stealing the blinds, you can't do that by limping in (just calling the BB). When you limp, you'll actually have to hit the flop, and that's hard, because you'll miss about 70% of the time. Since this hand is just about good enough to play, it's good enough to raise. You want to put all the villains to a decision, and get value when you probably have the best hand.
As played, you limp, and are 4-ways to the flop. It comes 876, which is a terrible flop for your hand. You have no pair or draw (apart from a gutshot to the "idiot end" of the straight), so if there's any action, you have to fold. It actually gets checked all the way around, so you see a free turn card. Here you gain a great deal of equity, as you picked up the nut flush draw. With 9 outs to the nuts, you can usually call a bet of anything up to half pot, because you have decent immediate odds to do so, and it's likely you'll win some more money on the river if you hit the flush. When the SB only bets 20 into 80, you get a great price to call. Your 20 chips into a pot that will be 120 means you're only contributing 1/6 of the pot, but you'll hit your hand about 1/5 of the time, so this is a profitable gamble.
The river doesn't improve your hand, so you have an easy fold. You didn't make any mistakes post-flop. Indeed, the villain that bet the turn made a mistake, because he gave you the right price to suck out. He should have been betting more to get value from draws and to make it a mistake for you to call. Since you had the right price, you didn't make a mistake. You didn't hit the flush this time, but maybe you'll be luckier next time.

Hope this helps! Remember to sit on cash tables with fixed blinds next time.
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
I've finished the first 3 steps - Sun Jun 30, 2013, 08:40 PM
(#7)
Thank you for the advice. I really need to pay attention to my bet size, for starters.

I've finished the first three steps. Where do I go from here?

Old
Mon Jul 01, 2013, 12:43 PM
(#8)
Excellent!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.
Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game Course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
advice on hand - Sat Jul 06, 2013, 05:57 AM
(#9)

I know this hand is simple but I end up in this same spot very often. I hit a big hand after checks sometimes with one other and many times with two or more. My question is we all checked and how do you know how much to bet to get he/she or them to put in the max amount. Do I have to hope they got luck (or what they think) my hitting a smaller hand? Again I know this hand is simple but I've been here with bigger pots and more opponents.

Old
Sat Jul 06, 2013, 11:15 AM
(#10)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jul 06, 2013, 01:42 PM
(#11)
Hi again opygirl! I'll take a look at the hand in post #9.

With K9o UTG, the best play is to fold. This is not a strong hand and it doesn't flop well, as the best you'll usually have is top pair average kicker, or middle pair good kicker. You'll also usually be out of position if you play this hand UTG. If you had a stronger hand for this position (like TT+, AK, AQs) then you could enter the pot with a raise, as just limping in is a weak play that doesn't give you an immediate chance to win. Indeed, it just makes it more likely that others will play, due to the great pot odds you give them.
As played, you limp in, but surprisingly no one raises or even over-limps. The BB can check his option for free, and he can have almost any two cards. (He'd usually raise with stronger hands). The flop comes TT6 and the villain checks to you. Since this flop is one that is hard to hit, I'd usually make a half pot stab it in position, expecting the BB to fold. Intead you check behind, which gives the BB a free card to see if he can make a pair. The Qc on the the turn means you pick up the flush draw. Again villain checks. When a villain checks 2 streets in a row, they usually have nothing, so you can bet and take the pot. You'd also be semi-bluffing here, as sometimes villain will call and you make the flush, meaning you can win a bigger pot. You decided to check again, so you see a free river. Here you make a flush, so you'd like to get paid, but the problem is there are now 4 clubs on the board. If villain doesn't have a decent club (the Jc or 9c), he's not calling a bet. A half pot bet will do here. Anything more than pot makes no sense. Villain won't give you action if he doesn't have a decent flush. Indeed, he'll only give you action with a hand that beats you, such as a the nut flush. Villain folds, so you win a tiny pot. This is part of the problem with hands like K9. It doesn't make money, since the 9 is pretty much useless, and when you make a one-card flush, you can't get paid by worse hands.
Try and be more disciplined pre-flop. Don't play unprofitable hands, especially in early position.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 08, 2013, 05:38 AM
(#12)
Thank you for the answer. It was in depth and what I was looking for.

The answer to the video is:

To put a lot of pressure on opponents
To bluff people off decent bluffs
To protect against strong draws and
To gain value from very strong hands.

I finished the cash game course and pasted the test.

I'm ready for what's next.

Old
Mon Jul 08, 2013, 11:27 AM
(#13)
Hi opygirl,

Fantastic!

Your next Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving this bonus and you will automatically be credited with the next bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your this bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
finale step - Fri Jul 12, 2013, 05:08 PM
(#14)

It took me a while. I went up and down. I didn't post all of my hands just the last couple that I lost the rest of the $2.00.

Where do I go from here.

Thank you for the training. I know it doesn't show but it really has helped.

Opalyn

Old
Fri Jul 12, 2013, 05:46 PM
(#15)
Thank you for posting these hands for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at them for you.
He will do this within the next 24 hours and once they've been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 12, 2013, 07:43 PM
(#16)
Hi again opygirl! I'm glad you've learned a few things already. I'll take a look at the hands in post #13 and see if there some more tricks you can pick up.

1. You have QQ in the SB facing a 4bb raise by a player in MP. If I knew this player was quite loose and agressive, and would often call with a worse hand than QQ, I would re-raise to about 24c to get value and to seize the initiative, as playing out of position in the blinds without the betting lead can be tricky. Calling isn't a bad idea though, because you usually know where you are with queens. You call and the flop is a very dry K84. Villain is likely to make a c-bet with his entire range on this flop, and you're beating much of it (e.g. hands like AT, QJ) so calling the bet is fine. If the turn is a blank and villain doesn't bet, you can feel good about your hand. Here the turn is a jack, so you still have second pair. When villain fires again, I think you have to give him credit for a king or better. Most villains aren't firing two barrels with worse than top pair on dry boards like this. You call, which is a small mistake and villain checks behind on the ace river, showing the kind of hand I expected, KQ. If you could have found a fold on the turn you would have saved some money, but it's not a huge mistake.

2. You raise AK in early-middle position and are called by the BB. He checks the Q82 flop. This one is a little wetter than the previous flop, as there's a flush draw, but c-betting is standard. Since you're semi-bluffing with two overcards, you don't need to bet the size of the pot. A smaller bet of about 55% of pot serves the same purpose as a large one (villain either calls or folds) and saves you money if villain has you beat. Villain calls, so he usually has a queen. The turn is a very blank 4. It's pointless betting here, because this card neither improves you or scares villain. Anything that called on the flop would also call here, so you're better off checking behind and seeing if you can improve for free. The Q on the river doesn't help. It's a little puzzling when villain checks a third time. It seems he has a weak one pair or he missed a flush draw. Since your AK high beats missed flush draws, there's no need to bet. You can check and see a free showdown. Unfortunately, villain shows up with JJ this time. It's a bit like the first hand in reverse. Villain peeled one off on the flop, as it wasn't too scary for JJ, but unfortuntely you couldn't suck out. At least you only put money in the pot on one street and didn't spew off your whole stack! Just remember to bet a little less on the flop when you don't have a made hand. Make your semi-bluffs big enough to fold some hands, but not so big that it costs too much. I like betting 55-65% of pot for this purpose.

3. With A3 offsuit in the big blind, I'd recommend you fold to a raise. This hand is troublesome and pretty much impossible to make money with out of position. I recommend folding very often in the blinds, and only like calling with pairs and two suited Broadways, as these can flop good draws. As played, you call, and the flop comes KK8. Instead of taking the standard line of checking to the pre-flop raiser, you led out with a donkbet. In this spot, it's not such a terrible idea (and I like your bet-size this time!), as it's really hard for villain to call if he doesn't have a king. When he does call, I think you have to shut down. Villain either has trips, or he's just not a believer of your story. The idea of making a big bluff here makes sense, but 2NL villains aren't good hand readers. If they like their own hand, they don't care what you're representing with your bets. Villain's call of your shove with QQ is pretty horrendous when seen in a vacuum, but maybe he'd seen you make a few bluffy moves earlier on and decided to look you up this time. It's also possible he just thought "With 2 kings on the board, it's unlikely opygirl has one, so my queens must be good". Whatever the reason, your bluff was called and you lost your stack. In future, I'd recommend you avoid making risky plays like this. Reserve your big bets for when you have a strong hand.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Last edited by ArtySmokesPS; Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 07:46 PM..

Old
Sat Jul 13, 2013, 12:39 AM
(#17)
Hi opygirl,

Fantastic!

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving this bonus and you will automatically be credited with the next bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your this bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Finally - Mon Jul 15, 2013, 01:25 PM
(#18)
Ross and Pokerschool,

Thank you for all the help and all the information. I'm much better off. I know I have a lot more to learn but you've given me so much info.

I finally made it passed 10 VPPs.

Thank you again.

Opalyn

Old
Mon Jul 15, 2013, 03:47 PM
(#19)
Hi opygirl,

Fantastic!

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 16, 2013, 06:28 AM
(#20)
I did it.

I earned over 10 VPPs.

Opalyn

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com