Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

3-betting TT

Old
3-betting TT - Fri Jun 28, 2013, 04:12 PM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
Hi all, this is from the PSOSOP Event 61 that I busted from early. Opponent is playing a laggy 28/29/15.

I don't know if I should've done anything different really. It seems like a decent line to take. Except maybe I should 3-bet larger pre-flop to get rid of the 66? Already seems like an overly expensive call on his part.

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 06:09 PM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2012
In SNG I wouldn't 3bet , I would call bet on 1 street after second bet probably fold, fold after check raise, would shove with 15-17 BB's. As played would Cbet less at about 300 and fold on rivers bet.

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 06:15 PM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
I think you played it fine 85.

I think if you 3x he's still coming along for the ride, the only way you'll win this is by over raising and shoving but that's not an optimal play.

gg and ul

Old
Fri Jun 28, 2013, 08:25 PM
(#4)
This isn't a SnG Shichi, 3-bet is better line on pocket pairs I believe because you will often flop less than top pair and need to be in a position of aggressor to win it by betting. Just calling in and hoping to hit set is not +EV I don't think.

Thanks Ovalman. I don't usually follow the 3x 3-bet rule because it just seems so huge. I usually go about 2.5x and I wonder if that's why I often get worse hands coming along than I expect. I think I need to do 3x more often, but you're right, probably wouldn't have made a difference here.

Old
Sat Jun 29, 2013, 03:58 AM
(#5)
so how do you think, which hand has paid on the flop? which worse hand would pay OTT? You played TT as a monster hand and it's not. I think you just over evaluated it. You are IP so why not to try to control pot with marginal hand? The thing is that at least 70% of players play tight so early and I can't see worse hands that will pay me more than 1 barrel.

Last edited by Shichi-77; Sat Jun 29, 2013 at 04:20 AM..

Old
Sat Jun 29, 2013, 10:35 AM
(#6)
A hand that would pay on the flop would be AK, AQ, KQ, that's what I would expect him to be holding and would not expect a call on the turn. I don't want to give another card and would much rather win this pot by having opponent fold than seeing a showdown. "Played it like a monster" exactly. So in his position what would you think I had? Without the set he'd be giving up. I don't mean to bring a hand for review and then defend my play, but I am comfortable with using aggression here when you seem to suggest a much more passive line.

Old
Sat Jun 29, 2013, 10:44 AM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2011
Schichi does have a point, how was your opponent playing?

It's at a difficult stage of the tournament. I like set mining when blinds are low but it's definitely a raising hand in position when blinds get higher.

I don't think we can pot control in this spot. Blinds are just too shallow to be raising, CBetting and making our decision on the turn. I think we want our chips in early and can't see how you can get out of the hand without a specific read - which is why I asked how our opponent was playing.

Old
Sat Jun 29, 2013, 11:03 AM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85FastLane View Post
A hand that would pay on the flop would be AK, AQ, KQ, that's what I would expect him to be holding and would not expect a call on the turn. I don't want to give another card and would much rather win this pot by having opponent fold than seeing a showdown. "Played it like a monster" exactly. So in his position what would you think I had? Without the set he'd be giving up. I don't mean to bring a hand for review and then defend my play, but I am comfortable with using aggression here when you seem to suggest a much more passive line.
and why AJ isn't in this hand range? I just think that after he called cbet it's a time to give up. there aren't draws on a board, I don't expect him to call 3bet with 54 or 89, and your hand looks like TT+ , I don't expect him to call cbet OTF without hitting the board or without over pairs. calling cbet with two over cards wouldn't be good game.

Old
reply - Sat Jun 29, 2013, 11:47 AM
(#9)
Hi Fast
I think your 3 bet was a little small, just over a min raise. But you were quite short so with a bigger bet you would still be committed on the flop. So i thinkk you played the hand fine he also had 3x your stack so i do not know if we could have got him to fold no matter what you did. Just one of those things dust yourself down and keep on fighting.

Triple Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 30, 2013, 04:12 PM
(#10)
Since: Jan 2010
I think it was fine till the turn, It never looked like you were getting rid of him and a J was probably in his range, you were only getting called if you were beat, maybe check to induce a bluff if you think hes missed, but at that stage you still had enough chips to play I dont think giving up would be that terrible

Old
Mon Jul 01, 2013, 08:21 PM
(#11)
Since: Jun 2010
Hi 85FastLane,

I think you've played it well.

3bet size is fine, maybe a tiny bit bigger like 325. Reason you can bet small is because of stack sizes. You want to give yourself as much room as possible post flop. 2nd reason you have position and a pretty strong hand, when he calls you it's definately not the end of the world.

CBet is good. I think a 2nd barrel here is fine. With an opponent with a PFR of 29 checks I would assume they don't have anything the vast majority of the time. I expect a J probably leads the turn a fair amount of the time. Checking back just gives your opponent a chance to hit a card. I doubt you would get paid on the river unless you were beat, J or another over card. And if you check the turn you can't fold to one bet from a LAG on the river.

Unlucky spot.
Andy

Quad Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com