Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Bankroll Builder - Session Feedback /

Bankroll Builder

Old
Bankroll Builder - Sat Jun 29, 2013, 06:12 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
Hi, I'm new to PSO and would like to take part in the bankroll builder promotion.

Thank you

Old
Sun Jun 30, 2013, 08:57 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapiPoKer23 View Post
Hi, I'm new to PSO and would like to take part in the bankroll builder promotion.

Thank you
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Please read THIS just to be be sure of exactly what's on offer with the Bankroll Builder promotion.

>>click here<< for a complete overview of what PSO has to offer.

We will advise within 24 hours as to whether or not you will be eligible for this promotion. Please check back this time tomorrow!

Thank you for being a member of www.pokerschoolonline.com and best of luck to you at the tables!

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jun 30, 2013, 06:44 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2011
Hello KapiPoKer23,

You are eligible for the Bankroll Builder promotion, good job!

NB: Bookmark this page so that you'll find it easily in the future

First Step

Watch the following video and pay special attention to the tips on retrieving and saving your hand history from PokerStars. This will be important for the rest of your promotional journey.

After wacthing this please play some PLAY MONEY FULL-RING (9-Handed) tables at PokerStars and using the Hand Replayer post a hand here in this thread that you have questions about.

Here is a video on how to use the hand replayer.

Then when you have that done please have a go at the Poker Basic Course and pass the quiz at the end of the course.

So you have 3 steps to do to begin with and when you have all 3 done we will award you with your first bonus.

1) Watch the 'Getting Started' video
2) Post a 'PLAY MONEY' hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer
3) Pass the Poker Basic course.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 steps completed.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
Mon Jul 01, 2013, 06:43 AM
(#4)

Old
Mon Jul 01, 2013, 06:46 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you for posting this hand for review and I have asked one of the Hand Analysers to take a look at it for you.

He will do this within the next 24 hours and once it's been analysed I will advise on the next step.

Cheers.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 01, 2013, 07:12 AM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
Hi KapiPoKer23!

Thanks for posting this hand. The first thing to point out is that this is a 6-max table, where the play is loose and aggressive. The PSO beginner courses are designed for full ring tables, where a disciplined and patient style is profitable, so please sit on 9-handed tables for the remainder of this promotion. Nevertheless, I'll take a look at this hand.

You have AQ in middle position facing a minraise by UTG. I'd sometimes call here and sometimes raise. A good size for a raise is three times the current bet. Since the opener made it 20, I would go with 60. You made it 100, which is a little too much. Despite the large size of your raise, you still get 4 callers, including one who is all in.
The flop comes 863. This monotone flop would be a bad flop for you if yiou didn't have the , because having that card means you have the nut flush draw. Nevertheless, you currently only have ace high, so are losing to any pair. If this was a heads up pot, and the action was checked to you, then making a continuation bet would be a good idea, particularly as this flop would be scary for anyone that doesn't have a big diamond in their hand. Multiway, however, there's more likelihood of someone actually having a flush. The player UTG makes a tiny bet into the big pot. I think raising as a semi-bluff is a good idea, and with the pot now totally close to 500, I think around half pot (250) is about right. You made it 300, and that means much more than a third of your starting stack is now in the middle. You are "pot-commited", so cannot fold with your nut flush draw, because even if someone goes all in, you have the right odds to call. That's what happens here. One player goes all in, another calls and you also call. It turns out that one villain actually flopped a king high flush, and another had a combo straight/flush draw. With so many diamonds spoken for, you have less chance of hitting the flush than expected. Nonetheless, the pot odds dictated that calling all in was the right play. Flushes don't happen all that often, but if you get the right odds to chase one, you should take the chance. If the pot was much smaller, then you shouldn't risk your whole stack on just a draw.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 01, 2013, 05:48 PM
(#7)
Hi KapiPoKer23

Just let me know when you have passed the Poker Basic quiz and then I can award you with your first bonus and give you your next steps

Old
Tue Jul 02, 2013, 12:24 PM
(#8)
I have passed the Poker Basic quiz.

Old
Tue Jul 02, 2013, 06:14 PM
(#9)
Brilliant!

You've done all 3 tasks and you'll get your first bonus in the next 24 hours, good job!

Step Two

Use your first buy-in to only play the 1/2 cent real money FULL RING tables on PokerStars. Do not play any other type of game other than this. Post one hand that you had difficulty with here in this thread using the hand replayer and we will analyze it for you.

Please watch the following video and answer the question below.

List 3 reasons why a player may want to make a big bet?

Then study the Cash Game course and once your happy have a go at attempting the quiz. Don't rush through the course, there's a lot of content there and the quiz is tricky so spend some time on this.

So you have 3 things to do to earn your next bonus.

1) Play the 1/2 cent Real Money tables and post an interesting hand here in the Forum using the Hand Replayer.
2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Let us know as soon as you have all 3 tasks complete and we will award you with your next buy-in.

Best of Luck!

flophitter

Old
Thu Jul 04, 2013, 02:06 PM
(#10)

Old
Thu Jul 04, 2013, 06:39 PM
(#11)
Great thanks for posting the cash game hand KapiPoKer23, we'll provide the analysis here soon.

Old
Thu Jul 04, 2013, 06:54 PM
(#12)
Hi again KapiPoKer23! I'll take a look at your cash game hand from post #10.

Here you have QQ in a big blind, and it's folded around to the SB who raises to 4bb. If he'd made a smaller raise, I'd expect him to be stealing, but the 4x open usually indicates a stronger hand. In either case, I think re-raising is the best idea. If villain has a worse hand, then you want to make him pay to see if he can out-flop your queens. If he just has junk, then he'll usually fold, but that's still a good result. The main reason to raise is for value. It's unlikely that villain has AA or KK, so you usually have the best hand, so should start building the pot. I think your raise size is good, as it's about 3 times the size of the opening bet. Villain decides to come over the top with a 4-bet that means you'll be all in if you call. I'm snap-calling here. When you're short-stacked, it's easy to get pot-committed. Generally speaking, once you've put a third of your stack in the middle, you can't fold, because you'll have the right pot odds to call off the rest. You call all in and villain shows 99. This makes sense. In blind vs blind situations, villains will stack off lighter than in other situations. When you're short-stacked, you can also get it in a little lighter too. If you'd been deep-stacked, then there would be room to fold, as villains are usually only getting 100bb in the middle with AA or KK.

You got your stack in as an 82/18 favourite here, so it's very unfortunate that the villain rivered his 2-outer to drag the pot. I hope you're luckier with the next bonus.

Hope this helps!
To get more tuition on cash game basics, I recommend going to live training sessions for the Wednesday and Saturday Games if you can. You'll even be able to play alongside other PSO members in the Homegame club and get instant feedback on the way you play your hands. Good luck!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 05, 2013, 06:09 AM
(#13)
Hi KapiPoKer23

I hope you find the analysis valuable. Now just let me know when you have completed these two steps and I can award you your bonus and tell you what's next

2) Watch the Bet Sizing video and answer the question below it.
3) Study and pass the Cash Game quiz.

Old
Mon Jul 08, 2013, 10:53 AM
(#14)
1. Hand posted for analysis above
2. watched video and a player may want to make a big bet to
a. gain value out of strong hands
b. protect agains strong draws
c. bluff an opponent off a decent hand.
3. Cash Game quiz has been passed.

Old
Mon Jul 08, 2013, 02:45 PM
(#15)
Hello KapiPoKer23,

Fantastic!

Your second Bankroll Builder bonus is on it's way to you, great job so far.

Watch this video that will help you on the cash game tables

There are three ways in which you can earn your next bonus.

1) Earn 10 VPPs AFTER receiving your 2nd bonus and you will automatically be credited with your 3rd bonus. Let us know if you hit that target
2) If you lose your 2nd bonus at the tables please post the hands where you lost the money with here in this thread. As soon as you post the losing hands we will advise on the next step.
3) If you make a first deposit at PokerStars you will automatically be awarded your remaining bonuses from the Bankroll Builder promotion.

Best of luck to you at the tables and we are here to help you should you have any questions.

flophitter

Old
Tue Jul 09, 2013, 11:26 AM
(#16)

Old
Tue Jul 09, 2013, 06:30 PM
(#17)
Great thanks for posting the cash game hand KapiPoKer23, we'll provide the analysis here soon.

Old
Tue Jul 09, 2013, 06:45 PM
(#18)
Hi KapiPoKer23

We are going to analyse your hand even though it is from a 6-max table. Under the terms of the Bankroll Builder promo, only play at 9-player, "full ring" $0.01/0.02 NLHE cash game tables is eligible. So please make sure you play at the correct tables to avoid being disqualified from future bonuses.

flophitter

Last edited by flophitter; Wed Jul 10, 2013 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: typo

Old
Wed Jul 10, 2013, 07:37 AM
(#19)
Hi again KapiPoKer23!

As Flophitter pointed out, this is a 6-max table, where the play is loose and aggressive. The PSO beginner courses are designed for full ring tables, where a disciplined and patient style is profitable, so please sit on 9-handed tables for the remainder of this promotion. Nevertheless, I'll take a look at this hand.

With 98s in the CO, you call a 4bb raise with 98s. This is just about OK, but I'd prefer to be on the button in a multiway pot. The BB calls so it's 3-way on the flop, which comes Q97 with a flush draw. This is a wet flop, and middle pair isn't a strong holding, as it's vulnerable to many draws and overcards. Nevertheless, when both villains check to you in position, I think betting is good. Betting prevents villains getting a free card if they have a draw. You bet a little under half pot and this isn't quite enough, as draws could make a profitable call. The BB doesn't just call, however. He raises. While he might be doing this with a combo draw, he could also have top pair, two pairs or a set. You should fold here. Second pair is not a hand you should be playing a big pot with.
As played, you call the raise and see the Ks on the turn. This is the worst card in the deck, because it completes a flush draw for any two spades and a straight draw for JT. It's also an overcard to your pair. Villain checks, so maybe this card scares him, but he could also be getting tricky and slowplaying, which is something I do not recommend. You correctly check behind. The river is the 6d which completes another straight draw (T8 was open-ended on the flop). Villain leads out for almost the size of the pot. You can't call here. This board is super-wet, with lots of draws. You have third pair! I wouldn't even call this bet if I had AQ, because villain can have so many flushes, straights, two pairs and sets. Unfortunately, you called, and villain shows the nut flush. He missed value by slowplaying the turn, but still got a big bet in on the river. Be very careful when you face large river bets. Villains aren't bluffing often. Big bets usually mean big hands. Third pair is not a big hand, so don't call a big bet.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Arty

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 23, 2013, 12:14 PM
(#20)
Congratulations KapiPoKer23!

As you've earned enough VPP's we have awarded you with all your Bankroll Builder buy-ins and you have successfully completed the promotion, good job!

You are always welcome to post any troublesome hands in the >>Hand Analysis<< section.

Also it is a good idea to review some of the content on >>Bankroll Management<< at this point.

Keep in touch with us and let us know how your poker journey continues.

flophitter

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com